4.0 out of 5 stars Prodigy by Marie Lu
After much thought, I now feel comfortable saying that Prodigy is better than Legend. Yep, you heard that right. The middle book in the trilogy was better than the first. A rare occurence, right? And yet Marie Lu managed to pull it off.

Published 18 months ago by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. But not Great

Marie Lu's long awaited sequel to Legend finally came out last month. I had it on pre order and started reading straight away, yet here I am 6 weeks later, only just writing the review......

Prodigy follows on from June and Day's escape from LA, they are on the train to Las Vegas, and it really does just launch you straight back...
Published 16 months ago by g

4.0 out of 5 stars Prodigy by Marie Lu, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Paperback)

In Prodigy, the stakes felt much higher, and the risks were greater. In Legend, I didn't feel too worried about how it would end, and what would happen to the characters. Day and June are main characters, and they're not going to be killed off in the first book in the series. They're not Ned Stark. In this fantastic sequel, however, I felt as though everything could collapse around them as they fought for their lives.
We learnt a bit about the Colonies, which is something I had been looking forward to since I started reading Legend. I'm so glad that Lu made the Colonies the way they are. I won't say too much, but it really punched the characters in the gut when they learnt these things.

In addition to learning about the Colonies, we also learnt more about the world outside of what was once the United States of America. Again, this was something that I was DYING to learn about. It's not very often that, in my experience at least, and author explains what has happened to the rest of the world. We learn about Europe, Africa, Asia, and even Antarctica. Australia was mentioned briefly, which was very true to all the other dystopian novels and movies out there *wink*

I adored June in this book. She has quickly become my favourite out of the two leads. She's so clever and calculating, and the way she puts everything together in this book was both impressive and wonderful. I was cheering her on the entire time.

As for Day... Well, he annoyed me. He wasn't too bad, but he did doubt June a lot, and since I'm quickly becoming a June mega-fan, I didn't like it. I did love how much he cared for her, though. Even if he did act like a prat and then wasn't sincere with his apology. Grrr.

We also got to see more of Kaede in this book, which I LOVED. I think she's a fantastic character, and I loved learning about her background.

In Prodigy we are also introduced to a new character called Anden. He's the new Elector, and the target of the Patriots assassination plot. I really liked him, and I think he's a decent person, I just wish we could have learnt more about him in this book. I wanted to feel more of a connection.

There is one tearjerking scene in this that made me curl up in a ball and roll around on the floor. It was so upsetting, at least for me. Marie Lu's writing in that scene was fantastic.

I am so, so pleased that Marie Lu managed to pull this book off. It was thrilling, fast paced, and packed full of great action scenes. The characters and storyline were always on the go. Overall thoughts? I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Legend!, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Paperback)
I'm torn as to where to start with this review because there is so much I want to talk about! Firstly, I was a little nervous starting out because it had been so long since I read the first book, and because I got that from the library I wasn't able to re-read it in the run up and worried I might not be able to remember everything. But Prodigy has the recapping down absolutely perfectly! It managed to jolt my memory and take me right back to the first book without detracting from the current story. It was all weaved in brilliantly because the characters do a lot of reflecting on how they've got to be in the position they're currently in, so I was immediately back in that world and remembering everything that happens.

As with the first book, Prodigy alternates between June and Day's perspective. They start out together but spend some of the book separated and I loved how both of their points of view were key to the story. There's a lot of focus on the relationship between the two of them and I really like how complex it is and how much the two of them are still figuring each other out and addressing their differences. I'm reluctant to use the phrase "love triangle" because it doesn't really apply to this book, but there are other interests for both Day and June which shake the story up a bit. Both relate to characters introduced in the previous book so it's nothing too new, but I did like the exploration of everyone's feelings for each other. I really like how it isn't soppy or romantic at all. At the end of the day, it's not a love story. It's a story where people are going through a tremendous ordeal and worrying after their loved ones because of it. I think it had the perfect balance to keep you interested in who cares for who.

On the topic of the tone of the book, I felt this book was very political - almost like a political thriller in its own right in places - and I found that part of the book to be the most gripping. There was all this suspicion and trying to figure out where everyone's loyalties truly lay was incredibly difficult, because as soon as you were sure about someone, there'd be a twist that would make you reconsider. I loved that it kept me on my toes!

Prodigy was packed full of action but I really loved that the heart of the book was with the characters. There were some moments where certain characters were explored that bit more and I loved discovering more about them. It felt like such attention had gone into each character, no matter how small a part they played. I really liked that the focus was on the original characters from the previous book as well, although newer characters were still really well done. Day and Kaede were the two characters who really stood out for me. When the plot and characters were changing and evolving I felt like those two were the two constants.

I loved the post-apocalpytic world this trilogy is set in, and one of my favourite parts was seeing the wider ramifications of events in the Republic and glimpsing other parts of the world/country. I won't spoil too much but it was just great to get a view of the bigger picture. I enjoyed the use of Vegas as a setting in the beginning as well. I think placing somewhere so familiar (as someone who's seen Vegas and LA on TV but maybe not some of the other cities referenced) really helped me get a feel for the place and how different it is under the rule of the Republic.

I definitely enjoyed this book more than Legend (and I adored that!). I was constantly kept on my toes by the twists and turns and there was never a lull in the actions. I was constantly questioning the characters and whenever I tried to second guess what was happening my theories would be blown out the water by another revelation. The ending was utterly heartbreaking and I'm still getting my head around it all and absorbing some of the things that happened. There's plenty of potential for the third installment, although how my heart will cope with it I have no idea! This trilogy has jumped straight to the top of my dystopian/post-apocalyptic favourites pile. I want to run around and recommend it to everybody because Prodigy has truly blown my mind and I need more people to read it and get excited about it. Don't miss out!

This review was also posted on my blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant and epic sequel, to an amazingly gripping series!, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Paperback)
Read the full review at: http://polkadotbookblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/prodigy.html

I went into this book straight after I read Legend because I just couldn't wait to see what happens next. What I didn't expect was the sequel to be as good as the first book maybe even better. Because I have read so many series when the second book lags a bit in comparison to the first. So I was nervous but excited to carry on the story from Legend. We left June and Day in Legend when they were on the run from the Republic, and we pick up a couple of days after in Prodigy. So its fair to say that Prodigy remains as action packed from the very beginning, similar to Legend, and in turn a really amazing and gripping read.

The only draw back I found in Legend was that, for me, there wasn't enough back story to the world that Legend was sent in. I wanted to know why there were trials, what divided American society, what were the differences between the Republic and the Colonies etc. And it is safe to say that Prodigy definitely delves into the back story a lot more. You find out so much more history about the world they are set in, like what happened in the beginning that set the two sides against each other. Learning more about what the republic was first like in the beginning and comparing them to the colonies and the 'old' United States of America. So really the only thing I didn't like in Legend was swept away in Prodigy, which I think is pretty fantastic and makes it a much more enjoyable read.

Overall, I found that what lacked in Legend was fixed in Prodigy and seeing that Legend was an absolutely fantastic read, Prodigy was just a stunning action-packed and amazingly gripping read that sits with you even after reading and urges you to carry on with the final book in the series as soon as possible. Because seriously, after that ending how can you not want to find out what happens to the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Kindle Edition)
I previously stated in my legend review that "I'm reading prodigy now, and the trilogy only seems to be getting better".

Damn I was right.

This book is sensational, and I would definitely say the series gets better. It;s better than Legend. Yep, the second boom actually IMPROVED on the first. Wow.

There so much plot, and such a juicy story line. I didn't put the book down once since I started reading it yesterday. and here I am now, emotionally battered and pleading for more.

I was angry, happy, sad, confused, and at the end, DISTRAUGHT. I was crying like a baby. I hate it when I get to emotionally invested in books. But I couldn't help it. I know I'm gushing and fan girl-ing but I honestly can't help my self! I JUST LOVE THESE BOOKS.

I'm going to stop now, but seriously, this book is a must read for anyone who loves Dystopian, action, romance, Thrills and all of the above mushed together.

Onward and upward to book number three!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenonal sequel to Legend!, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Kindle Edition)
Legend was a breath of fresh air to the saturated teen dystopian genre and Prodigy does not disappoint! Full of action, twists and the ever complicated relationship of June and Day I don't think Lu could have written a more perfect addition to the trilogy! I recommend the series to any lover of great teen fiction and I'm looking forward to the final instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prodigy, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Kindle Edition)
Where to start!? Although at some points I did find myself thinking I didn't enjoy Prodigy quite as much as I enjoyed Legend because I absolutely adored reading Legend (so much so that I finished within 24 hours!) the last few chapters completely won me over! Prodigy is just as fantastically written as Legend; it is so fast paced and action packed with plot twists within plot twists, you just want to keep reading and reading. I think I felt every emotion possible whilst reading this book... Especially the ending (which I won't spoil!) but Aaah what a way to end! The characters were fantastic as in the first book and the way the relationships between characters was explored further was very interesting. In many books and films, characters have perfect, fairy tale romance which is why I particularly liked how June & Day clashed and struggled at points; it felt like their relationship was real and relatable. Fantastic book, will be sad to finish the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for 13 + readers, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Paperback)
After reading legend and enjoying, prodigy was even better - although I'd recommend reading legend first. Just received champion and can't wait to read. In my 50's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put it down. Read book 1 & 2 in 3 days. Can't wait to read the next book. Truly talented author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Kindle Edition)
A great read from start to finish. The story manages to keep you wanting more. Can't wait for part 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read., 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Prodigy (Legend) (Kindle Edition)
Loving this trilogy so far. Easy reading and fast paced....just what I need when not grappling a toddler or sitting in a tired daze. Looking forward to the concluding book....so far I'd absolutely recommend it. (although I said this about the divergent trilogy and look how that turned out)!

Prodigy (Legend)
Prodigy (Legend) by Marie Lu (Paperback - 29 Jan 2013)
5.59