5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl: the Arctic Incident
Published on 4 May 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Loved the first novel in the series, but am rather disappointed by the second. Wading through the dense descriptions of fairy warfare (machinery/weapons/tactical manoeuvres) became a tad tedious for me - I wanted more of the plot to be driven by the brilliant character of Artemis. Readable, but won't buy the next in the series now.
Published 9 months ago by Mrs. R. Mayer

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl: the Arctic Incident, 4 May 2003
By A Customer
Looking for a book to read that is unputdownable, with adventure, skulduggery and more twists and turns than the latest white-knuckle ride, yet will have you laughing out loud? The kind of book that you just have to read to the end, even if you have to read it under the covers by torchlight after lights out? This is definitely one for you then ... We (Mum, Dad,and 12 yr old girl) were all vying to read it at the same time, something we haven't done since the early Harry Potter books. We ended up huddled together, taking turns at reading it aloud, way into the night.
Young criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl is still scheming - he is convinced his beloved father is alive somewhere and is determined to find and rescue him. If he is to succeed, Artemis and his ever-loyal manservant Butler will need more than luck and must be prepared to risk all. But Artemis has a plan - after all, Captain Holly Short, Julius Root and the rest of the elite L.E.P.recon Squad are more than a match for most humans. L.E.P recon could rescue his father if anyone could but why should they risk their lives to help him? However Artemis isn't the only one scheming, and soon the Underworld is plunged into a power struggle. The fairies need Artemis as much as he needs them and an unlikely alliance develops between Artemis, Holly, Root and technical genius Foaly, the centaur. But when the going gets tough, just who can you trust?
This is one of those rare sequels which is just as good (if not better) than the original. It is well written, original and appeals to males and females, youngsters and older reader alike. A fantastic book - race you to Book 3!

4.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, 29 May 2003
By A Customer
I have to admit- I was a bit aprehensive at first about reading this book. i had tried to read the first Artemis Fowl book but found that I, a 13 year old girl at the time, wasn't too impressed in a book that told about how one spoilt brat wanted to get rich by blowing up fairies.
However, I am so glad that I gave this book a chance as I found it totally different to the first.
This book is about Aremis Fowl and how he teams up with the fairy world in order to rescue his father, also called Artemis Fowl. However, when Artemis is involved things are never going to be that simple.
This book is jammed pack with funny situations, great characters and a plot with as many twists and turns as a rollercoaster.
You really feel for the chracters and you see a whole new side of Artemis and his butler, Butler.
This book is definetely worth reading but i suggest you attempt the first one first as you need it to grasp the storyline and to really appreciate it. I look forward to reading the third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supertastic Fairy Magic!, 7 July 2002
Sophie Thomson [16] (Lincoln , United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read the 1st Artemis Fowl book some time ago and had heard there was to be a sequel. However the release of the sequel came to me as a surprise when I saw it displayed in a shop and I bought it to read on holiday. I was not disappointed!
The book is full of fairy magic and fantastic jokes. There is a new depth to Artemis which emerges as both touching and equally cunning.The inventions Colfer creates are amazingly amusing however the ideas behind them are all environmentally correct. Favourite characters emerge for adventures in new places and new situations and you learn a little more about each character especially Artemis. The opening concerning the Russian 'Mafiya' is an excellent introduction to the story which instantly engages the reader in a mysterious plot. And the ending [though I won't reveal it] is touching as well having the key trademark of comedy. The code along the baseline of the pages once worked out reveals a message to remember... some advice from the fairy people.
A fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent read one that I recommend for the whole family, 10 Jun 2002
By A Customer
Artemis fowl artic incident brings the modern world to a whole new level with a little twist of fairy magic, like with the first book you have the very brave Captain Holly Short and the very wise Artemis fowl, however instead of Holly and Artemis fighting against one and other, they are forced to team up and find out who is supplying class a illegal contraband to the goblins, however Artemis has is own problems a few days ago received a e-mail from the Russian mafia saying that they had is dad, however Artemis knows that butler can not take out the mafia out a lone and decides to make a deal with the fairies which is he helps them if they help him get is father back. Personally I tattle recommend this book to anyone who loves a bit of magic with lots of tonge twisting comments. this book is defiantly the best magical book since Harry potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eoin Colfer has done it again. Star!, 5 Jan 2003
miss ss wilson (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
Colfer has done it again with this spectacular new edittion to the Artemis Fowl series. Watch out readers because the most unlikely people have joined forces.Artemis and the faries have come together to save Artemises father and stop the Bwa'kell goblins and the humans trading. Holly Short and Artemis Fowl have reluctantly put aside their differences and grudges and come together as a team, but don't forget the cavalry; Butler and commander Julius Root have tagged along aswell to make sure knowone gets hurt. In this wild explosion of a book there is not one moment when you are not on the egde of your seat. It's a fast, tongue in cheek book with some high teck brain cell busrting gadgets in it. Colfer the book magician has packed another mystefiyingly marvelous trick up his book writing sleeve.So get out you credit card info, get on Amazon and buy it now! YOU WOULD BE MISSING OUT NOT TO!

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unexpected Treat, 21 Jun 2002
By A Customer
Having received this book as a present I had no preconceived ideas about it and read it with an open mind. Although this is the second in the series and I hadnt read the first I found I could not put it down and I read it so quickly that the present giver has already bought me the first one to read aswell. The story is well written and opens up fresh ideas about the fairy world giving the reader a chance to enter another world. Although it was the second in the series I managed to follow the plot fully and although there is not a lot of discription of previous events I found this was not an issue. I would highly recommend this book for people who enjoy having their imaginations fulfilled when reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant-even better than the first one!, 20 Jun 2002
I really enjoyed listening to this tape. I left off even reading the first one until just a few weeks ago because I thought that a book with such good reviews could not possibly live up to them. I was very mistaken! It was so brilliant that I could hardly wait for this one to come out. How people who had read it immediately waited I will never know!
In this book Artemis is a year older than before and I personally think that he was more 'human' in this than in the last one. In this book we meet up again with all of the old characters and the sparks are soon flying between Captain Holly Short and Artemis.
This book is about the adventures the group get into in the Arctic while trying to rescue Artemis Fowl's father, Artemis Fowl Senior who was captured two years ago by the Mafiya in Russia after his ship was sunk. Besides this, while Captain Holly Short and her boss Commander Root(nicknamed Beetroot) are away and cannot do anything to stop it, there is a plot back at the LEPrecon base......
A thoroughly good read, I recommend this book to anyone between the ages of 8/9-120! You will not be disappointed by this book or the tape! Now go and buy it and stop wasting time reading this review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant-Even better than the first one!, 8 Jun 2002
By A Customer
I really enjoyed reading this book. I left off reading the first one until just a few weeks ago because I thought that a book with such good reviews could not possibly live up to them. I was very mistaken!It was so brilliant that I could hardly wait for this one to come out.How people who had read it immediately waited I will never know!
In this book Artemis is a year older than before and I personally think that he was more 'human' in this than in the last one.In this book we meet up again with all of the old characters and soon the sparks are flying between Captain Holly Shorrt and Artemis.
This book is about the adventures the group get in to in the Arctic while trying to rescue Artemis Fowl's father, Artemis Fowl Senior who was captured two years ago by the Mafiya in Russia after his ship was sunk.Besides this, while Captain Holly Short and her boss nicknamed Beetroot are away and cannot do anything to stop it, there is a plot back at the LEPrecon base......
A thoroughly good read, I recommend this book to anyone between the ages of 8/9-120! You will not be disappointed by this book! Now go and buy it and stop wasting time reading this review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis needs help...???, 1 Oct 2003
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you thought Artemis Fowl was a tough nut to crack - you were wrong. Here we find the criminal boy genius displaying a soft-centre (albeit briefly).
Out to rescue his father, Artemis finds he needs help! Artemis needing help - there must be a mistake surely! But as always, our criminal genius, our pint-sized anti-hero, has a few tricks up his sleeve and his own agenda!
Delicious fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
great book, just keeps getting interesting

Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer (Paperback - 7 April 2011)
5.24