Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 July 2005
On my opinion the book it was pretty hard to get into at the beginning but once i did get into it it was a very interesting book. I didnt like the begining at first because it it went a bit to slow but as i read further into the book the tension built up as he caught capptin holly short .My favorite charactor was probebly butler because i liked the things he did in the story.like him being the only one to take down a troll.I think there are some simerlarities to harry potter in this book like the use of magic for enstance or the troll in the story. i will not give away to much about the story.If you buy this book from amazon am sure you will injoy it!
on 6 January 2014
Very cleverly written and easy to read but not that east to put down,suitable for all ages in my opinion
on 14 April 2004
This book is incredible. I read it to my brother and he loved it too, so I read him the sequel. I also got my mother to read it. She liked it too.When I first picked it up, I didn't want to read it. But eventually, I did, and I was hooked. I read Artemis Fowl about 3 more times before I obtained my own copy. It's described as being the next Harry Potter or something to chew on until the latest HP arrives, but AF is a genre all it's own. It's just really good for all ages, (although I edited out some of the swearing for my bro-nothing very offensive or common, though.) Artemis Fowl is funny, but not in a stupid way, and has definite serious undertones, plus a real plot and incredible, lifelike characters. It's one of the first really engrossing books without adult content I've ever read. I loved the characters. I could relate to them.
Artemis is a genius who manages to kidnap a leprechaun. Butler is his bodyguard who's a serious force to be reckoned with but sometimes seems like a guy just trying to do his job. Holly, the elf Artemis kidnaps, is as pretty and prickly as her namesake. She's the first girl on her police force, and her boss is Commander Root, who is antagonized by Foaly, a genius centaur. Despite Artemis being "evil", you're still kind of rooting for him all the way. At the same time you're rooting for Holly, which is odd considering they're in direct opposition. Anyhow, whether ou're sick of Harry Potter, sick of waiting for Harry Potter, or (like me) sick of hearing this incredible, TOTALLY ORIGINAL BOOK compared to Harry Potter, AF should cure you of your Pottermania and get you hooked on something new.
PS I'm dead serious. You definitely do not want to miss this one.
on 10 March 2015
9 year old boy not like it. It did not have much good stuf at the begining it was good thogh 3star
on 19 August 2014
An excellent read! I bought this on a whim after reading the description and I loved it!
on 21 September 2001
This book has been (as has every other childrens book in the fantasy/magic genre published since 1997) compared with Harry Potter. I honestly don't know why. It is very different, much more wry and funny and will appeal to older, and frankly, more intelligent children. No, it won't sell nearly as many copies as HP, but not because it isn't as 'good'. Its just a bit more of a challenge. Children who can get their head around liking a 'baddie', and want more from a story than a predictable ending, will love it. As for it setting a bad example to children, oh per-lease! I really like the Harry Potter books, but I don't feel the need (as so many other reviewers do) to tear down every other author in this genre (JK Rowling didn't invent it you know)!. Artemis Rocks!
on 23 July 2013
I liked the concept of the story so much so that I bought the 2nd in the series as well
on 25 July 2015
this was bought for my grandson he seems to enjoyit
on 2 July 2001
Okay I admit it I am an adult so younger readers don't be put off. From reading the other reviews I can see that the younger audience loved this book. Sorry to say this but I didn't. I think the fault lies with the marketing people rather than anyone else.It is not fair of them to promote the book as something it is not. Then again who said that marketing people had to be fair after all their job is to get you to buy the book which I did. This is not and never will be the next Harry Potter.
Books of that quality which appeal to such a wide age range only come along once in a while. Be patient it will come but not yet.
on 16 October 2003
It’s interesting that this book is compared to Harry Potter. I’d say they represent opposites in that the later HP books have far too much explanation/description and Artemis Fowl not nearly enough. This works well to begin with, in terms of moving the story along at a fast pace, but about half way in the whole thing collapses because so few foundations have been laid and those that have are sketchy and contradictory.
The Prologue tells us that the best way to create an accurate picture of Artemis is to tell the tale of his first adventure. But this story doesn’t do this. We are never, for example, told why Artemis is such a genius, and this weakens the plot the more it goes on. Not only is he a scientific genius, but also a genius of human behaviour patterns, psychology and so on. This is plainly ridiculous in a 12 year old. Worse, we’re told that Artemis has been doing this kind of thing for a long time – in other words, he’s been such a genius since a very young child!
The reader is treated with contempt throughout. For example, nowhere are we told why the fairies talk and act like American police (although it’s not difficult to deduce why, from a marketing point of view). Then there is the looning about by the fairies’ crack retrieval squad. We’ve been told that these are experts at breaking and entering, covering tracks and generally making an incident un-happen. Yet, for the sake of cheap laughs, when we see them trying to break into Fowl Manor, they act like a bunch of village idiots. The book is full of these unexplained mood changes.
There is also a lot of bad writing, unexplained point-of-view switches, action descriptions that don’t make sense, etc. Just one example: at one point a troll is just about to kill a female human – only a second or two away from ripping out her throat. Then, one of the main characters wakes up, watches himself being healed, stands up, puts on a suit of armour, issues a challenge, swings a mace and brings it down on the troll’s head, all in that same second or two.
There is a lot of skill in being able to make a reader happily suspend disbelief in a created world – the plot has to be worked to death, the characters within it to be engaging and consistent. The alternative is to cover any writing faults with cheap laughs and big bangs, hoping no one will notice that you can’t be bothered.
1313 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse