Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2000
This book rapidly became my son's favourite at twelve months and remains so eighteen months later. In fact we are on our second copy as the first became too dog-eared with use and too mucky as my son insists on kissing the baby in the story goodnight! The coherent storybook is beautifully illustrated with the added bonus of activity and fun with "peepo". The Ahlbergs have an exceptional talent for finding the right level to pitch a story whilst still providing lots of interest for the child with the text and lots of scope for development through the complexity of the pictures. My only problem has been explaining some of the dated (its set in the 1940s) terms such as "hairnet" and "bucket full of coal"! If your child likes this format you should also try "Each Peach Pear Plum" from the same author and illustrator.
on 15 June 2007
Superb illustrations set at the time of the second world war telling things from a baby's point of view. It is a poem and every page has the PEEPO with a hole to see something else from the poem on the next page. The book follows the day of the baby and his family around him. The illustrations are so detailed my children love to just look at the pictures and always see something new. We've had this for several years now and it is so well used its falling to bits but a treasure to keep; thick card pages do however allow rough handling by tiny hands. I can't recommend this book more highly.
on 19 October 2005
I bought this book for my book loving baby when she was 7 months. She showed no interest in it, in fact pushed it away. She is now 16 months and it is her favourite book. She sits still while I read it and will repeat words she recognises like "ball", "teddy", "peepo". She loves the pictures. It is a super soothing book to read at bed time too!
on 7 March 2006
My daughter is 16 months old and we have just purchased this book for her. From the moment she got it it became her favourite and we now read it to her several times a day, she likes to join in with the "Peepo" bit and also enjoys the illustrations. Well worth buying.
on 29 August 2008
I remember reading Janet and Allan Ahlberg books when I was a child and can still recite sections from memory so was really looking forward to introduing my own children to their books. I have 20 month old twins and it was a real joy to find that they were just as entranced with this tale as I was. Given small children's love of repition it is a delight to find a book which they love and which is actually a joy rather than a chore to reread to them time and time again. The text is lovely and the level of detail in the pictures allows all three of us to find new things to spot each time we look at it. All in all a delightful book which I could not recommend highly enough for any parents of babies or small children.
on 2 October 2006
My 9 Month old loves this book and she gets her daddy to read it to her every morning as I get ready for work. I am sure it is a book that she will enjoy as she grows and we will know it by heart.

It may not have the bright colours of some books but the rhyming text and the detailed pictures keep her interested from cover to cover. My daughter never gets bored of Peepo.
on 6 October 2005
This was my favourite book when I was a child. I am now training to be a teacher and I would use this book with children in the literacy hour as they can begin to recognise the layers of the story. This book is not just for toddlers but for all ages!
on 27 March 1999
To ensure toddler appeal, Peepo! has repetitive rhymes, holes in the pages, lots of fun stuff to look for, and the most traditional plot of all. We watch a small baby get up, eat his breakfast, go to the park with his sisters & his grandma, have his tea & a bath, and go to bed. So your baby or toddler will find this book familiar and comfortable. Meanwhile, grown-ups and older children will realise that the book is set in the middle of the Second World War. Daddy is in uniform, zeppelins fly overhead, and the paraphernalia of the forties is everywhere. And through all this, the children and adults behave, well, exactly like children and adults do now. The plethora of tiny details keeps grown-ups satisfied for repeated re-readings, and as your child grows more aware of the differences, Peepo! could be a starting point for a discussion of history. Most of the objects in the book are familiar in type but not in style. For example, the bath is tin, and sits in front of the fire, which is full of coal. And there are a few things - like a gas mask - that will be completely unfamiliar to your child. So there is plenty to talk about here. I'd recommend the board book edition - easier for little hands, especially given the holes in the pages.
on 28 October 2008
A beautiful rhyming story of bygone days with charmingly detailed illustrations. Regardless of what some reviewers say my daughter loved it from as early as 10 months, and still asks for it. As for it being a "stereotypical fairy tale of a 50's family" as one reviewer describes it, yes it is! But what do you want your children to read? True life crime? I think it's a nice introduction to history that Grandparents in particular will love to share with their little loved ones. A delight!
on 15 December 2003
What a perfect book for babies! I must have read this board book hundreds of times to my toddler and it still fills me with warmth.
The family are so normal they make even the most disorganised mum feel valued. The house is messy, grandma chips in to help with the ironing and dad is telling the kids to shhh! as mum flakes out in the chair at the end of a busy day.
With bustling pictures and lyrical verse this is the perfect book for little babies and busy toddlers alike.