4.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Book in My Favourite Series!
Published on 6 Jun 2012 by Jess Hearts Books

3.0 out of 5 stars the golden lily
Not as good as Vampire Academy but its ok. I was looking forward to reading it as thought it would be as good as her others but was a bit disappointed will give the next one a go to see if it gets any better.
Published 20 months ago by LooLoo

4.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Book in My Favourite Series!, 6 Jun 2012
Jess Hearts Books (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
Richelle Meads Vampire Academy series and Bloodlines spin off are my favourite Young Adult series ever, so when a new book comes out I get really excited and have to read it right away and The Golden Lily was no exception. The book begins not long after where Bloodlines left off. Dimitri and Sonya have recently arrived in Palm Springs after the revelations in the last book that Strigoi who are returned to their former selves with the use of spirit magic are immune to being turned again and so the group are going through a series of experiments to see if they can find what's in Dimitri and Sonya's blood that prevents them from becoming Strigoi to hopefully discover a cure for the rest of the world.

I loved that Dimitri was very much a main character in this book as I honestly can't get enough of the Belikov but what I find great about this series is that although Dimitri features a lot in this book the focus is very much on Adrian as the leading male of this series. Although Dimitri is beloved by me he didn't over shadow Adrian like he did for me in Vampire Academy and I admired Richelle Meads capability of bringing such a strong, well loved, alpha male into this series and yet the story still belongs to Adrian, as for me as a huge Dimitri fan, it could've been easy for him to overshadow Adrian and so I was surprised when he didn't.

Speaking of Adrian I have to say that I finally get him. Don't get me wrong I really did like Adrian in Vampire Academy but for me it was always meant to be Rose and Dimitri and so I'd get annoyed with Adrian for interfering with that. In this series however now that he's getting over Rose and him and Dimitri aren't in competition for her affections anymore I've really got to know him as Adrian and not just the guy coming in between my favourite book couple. After reading this book I have to say that I now love Adrian just as much as I do Dimitri and I get why it never worked out for him and Rose and why there was always something missing between them for me and that's because him and Sydney were 100% made for each other.

Adrian and Sydney guys! There is so much chemistry between them that I can actually feel it like it's an actual tangible thing which is also how I felt with Rose and Dimitri. Who would have thought that these two unlikely characters would be so absolutely perfect for one another? I certainly didn't! But it totally works and I want them to get together in the same passionate way that I did for Rose and Dimitri. The romances in these books are done so, so, well and not just between the main characters. Richelle Mead knows not only how to create the swooniest guys but also how to write unbelievable chemistry and sexual tension between a couple that practically sizzles off the pages.

Whereas Bloodlines was all about learning about the alchemists and the after effects of Last Sacrifice The Golden Lily focuses on a subject that was touched upon briefly in Bloodlines, Vampire Hunters, and introduces us to the corrupt group behind them, The Warriors of Light. The Golden Lily is also very much a growing pains book for Sydney. A lot happens in this book that makes her re-evaluate her beliefs as an alchemist and what she's always believed about the Vampire world. I loved watching Sydney develop as a character as her heart told her one thing and her head another. This book is one giant learning curve for Sydney and I enjoyed reading her conflicting emotions.

Overall if you're a fan of this series I don't think The Golden Lily will disappoint. Even though this book did feel more character driven than plot driven I didn't mind too much because I adore every single one of these characters! This is a book full of character development in both their personalities and relationships with one another; although this book didn't lead to many huge revelations plot wise it did raise some interesting questions for the next book in the series. Reading a book set in this world be it Vampire Academy or Bloodlines is like coming home and like with all of the other books in the series comes with the highest of recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome!, 5 Jun 2012
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
Wow! I don't even know what to say! Except that I'm so sad I read this book so quickly and have to now wait ages before I can read the third book!

This review is going to be difficult because there are major things that happen and the hints of them start fairly early on, so I have to be careful about spoilers. I would suggest those who would like things to be a complete surprise stear clear of the product description on Amazon UK. It tells you more than is necessary in my opinion. Back to the review, I will start with the things I can talk about. The relationships in this book - all of them, friendships as well as romantic ones - are effected in this book. Friendships become strengthened, particularly between Sydney and everyone else, which worries her slightly. She's forever questioning her relationships with these people as this is a job ad they are not human! But for people who aren't human... they're not too bad. Because she's a Moroi, and particularly because she's a Moroi princess, Jill's relationship wih Micah becaomes strained. Her life gets more chaotic, and she feels uncomfortable with hiding things constantly, but their relationship also progresses a step, which leads to her worrying about her fangs. She's finally realising how complicated things can be. Sydney gets herself a boyfriend with a fellow knowledge geek, which provides endless amusement, but I will say no more. There's a almost a four way love square (not a triangle!) going on, which sounds complicated, but provides moments of "aww!"

And then there's Adrian Ivashkov. And I am lost for words. This guy... this guy is truely amazing! Behind all his snark and confidence, he is the most caring and protective guy, and at so many times in this book I just wanted to hug him. But not always for being so lovely. He goes through quite a hard time in this book in a number of ways. My heart goes out to him, and I just want to take him away from everything, and bring him home. Ahem. And also slap Sydney a few times, because, GOD, that girl is blind!

Now for the things I can't exactly talk about. What I will say is that the secrets discovered in this book - and the questions they raise for Sydney about everything she has been brought up to believe - are going to effect the rest of the books in the series from this point on. There's no way they couldn't! This is major stuff! Not completely surprising in itself, but a surprise because a whole series and the first book of this series went by with no real hint of anything like this. This will effect everyone, and it's huge! I cannot wait to see where this will lead in the next books!

As I said, things that lead to the major events start on fairly early on, but despite this, I found the pace of the book, to begin with, to be kind of slow. I wasn't really bothered, because there could be no problems at all going on for these characters, and I'd still want to read about their everyday lives. But this book leans more towards firguring things out and discovering and the personal lives on the characters, more than the action and danger. Don't get me wrong, around the second half of the book things pick up, and there is the edge-of-your-seat action we're used to (and woaaah!), it just takes a little longer for us to get excited/anxious about things. It's still a fantastic book, and one I love!

THE ENDING! Oh. My. WORD! How anyone is going to be able to coherently talk about the end is beyond me. All I feel like saying is, "DIKARHGKHFDGAJKGRTEYUG!!!!!!" But that's not really good enough for a review. If you get emotionally involved in the lives of these characters, and you happen to be a particularly big fan of Adrian, well, your jaw will be hanging down on the floor! There are no words to explain how I feel, but I could probably cry! Mead is a horrible, horrible person to her characters - yet, there is absolutely no other way that situation could have gone. Not at this point. But oh, my heart aches!

An amazing book, and for multiple reasons, I AM SO EXCITED to read the third book in the series! Just brilliant! Fans of this and the VA series need this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Improves at a lot as the story progresses!, 25 July 2014
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
It took me forever to read this book. Well not forever, but like two weeks....and honestly it wasn't even the book that was the problem, it was me. I wasn't really in a reading mood, but I pushed through and YAY for me because this book was awesome!

The Golden Lily starts just slightly after Bloodlines and the gang are back, working hard at school and trying to find out some more clues about how spirit works on Strigoi. There's love in the air as both Sydney and Jill start dating, danger lurking around the corner for Sonya, Mrs Terwilliger is still pushing magic onto Sydney, but most of all, a new threat has moved to Palm Springs. It's never a dull moment!

I really enjoyed this sequel, I didn't it was quiet as packed as Bloodlines, mainly because the story doesn't kick off until around 40%. So it was a little bit slower, but still enjoyable because of the awesome characters. What I loved about this one was how the story is getting more complex. There's not just one thing going on, there are several, and it makes the story that more interesting and really kept me on my toes.

And what made me love this book was of course, Sydney and Adrian! Well, mainly Adrian. Gosh can this boy get any sweeter? Seriously, I literally melted! I love how honest he is but what I love most is how much were starting to unravel him as a character. He's was present in most of the VA books but you don't really SEE him. You know he likes to drink, smoke and play the field but he has reasons for that. It comes down to him hiding who he really is, and deep down, not even Rose knows the real Adrian.....but Sydney's starting too. Their relationship slowly blooms and it's really beautiful seeing the connection they have - even though they don't completely see it themselves.

In all, The Golden Lily was a good sequel, one that improved as the story went along but one that was still highly entertaining...and I can't wait to read more in The Indigo Spell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fans of Richelle Mead will not be disappointed!, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
The Golden Lily is one of the most highly anticipated books of this year! Richelle Mead never fails to deliver something new, exciting and unpredictable. Fans will not be disappointed.

Welcome back to the world of Moroi (vampire) and Strigoi (evil monsters)! In this book there's more action, more character development and, most importantly, more romance! For those of you who have not read the Vampire Academy series then I wouldn't recommend you the Bloodlines series just yet. The Bloodlines series is the spin-off series to Vampire Academy, so definitely go and read VA first!

I really enjoyed the main character, Sydney Sage. She has grown and developed so much since the first time we met her in the Vampire Academy series and first getting a glimpse inside her head in Bloodlines. Her eyes and mind have been opened to new possibilities and beliefs. In Bloodlines, Sydney wasn't the easiest character to relate to. The way she thought, her actions and her uptight personality could put anyone off, but overtime you do get used to it and even see that there is something deeper.

Sydney also has an unhealthy obsession with dieting. After being around skinny, beautiful Moroi vampires, she worries and obsesses over everything she eats. To be honest, I think I would feel a bit insecure if I was standing next to my friend who was pretty and skinny no matter what she eats. I would want to lose wait, be like her. Luckily there is someone who appreciates Sydney just the way she is...

Adrian Ivashkov! In Bloodlines he was annoying, rude with moments of brilliance, but in The Golden Lily? He was just too hot. We see a lot more of the positive in him that we only had a few glimpses of in Bloodlines. He's funny, thoughtful, protective and determined. However, I can sum him up in one word: confused. Of course that's all explained at the end.

I recommend you start reading Richelle Mead's books RIGHT NOW! Her writing is incredibly addictive and engaging. Everything felt realistic; the characters, the scenes, the dilemmas. I couldn't stand to put this book down for even one second.

The Golden Lily is a beautifully written book that will keep readers entertained until the very end. Action, mystery and romance all mashed up into this thrilling sequel that will satisfy Richelle Mead fans everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Second Book, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
The Golden Lily starts of a few weeks after the events of Bloodlines with Sonya, Demitri and Adrian are experimenting with spirit, Sydney's teacher Ms Terwilliger is trying to convince her to learn magic and Sydney is summoned to meet the alchemists. This book is more action packed than Bloodlines with people attacking Sonya and Sydney realising how vulnerable she really is.

Sydney is more conflicted in this book as she has grown close to people she has been taught to hate and fear and how to go about protecting them without going against her beliefs.

I love how Mead writes her romance in this series and how you route for them to be together, yet you don't know how the situations will allow them too.

I like how even more characters are back from the Vampire Academy series and how this changes the dynamic of the group. However I did feel that Jill in this book is not as much of a main character in this one, but it could be that there are more characters in this one.

Even though the plot was a bit predictable I really love this series and would recommend it to fans of the vampire academy series

5.0 out of 5 stars Sydney is back and better than ever!!, 30 Nov 2012
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
I love how Richelle Mead writes. What a fantastic author. Bloodlines, the first in this series, I was worried wouldn't come close to her Vampire Academy series but it killed it and again, I was worried The Golden Lily wouldn't be able to match up to Bloodlines. And again, I was wrong.

The Golden Lily takes us straight back to Sydeny and the gang following the events in Bloodlines. The concept this time is a mysterious series of attacks on Moroi and Strigoi alike from seemingly human individuals. Almost Achemist look-a-likes, but not quite. However, alongside this main story we see the normal trials and tribulations of Sydney trying to watch out for each of the Moroi, alongside Eddie and Angeline (The Dhampirs), whilst trying to juggle a ridiculously hectic social life.

I absolutely adore Syndey. She's such a fantastic character with so much about her that I just can't get enough. She's witty, smart and incredibly well prepared for everything the vampire and human worlds throw at her and I'm always surprised and impressed with how things turn out. It was nice though for her to get a little romance (since Jill, the Dragomir princess, seems to get all the attention) and this really intrigued me. Additionally, Adrian plays a massive role within this book and man is he difficult to read!! He's such a complex character and I spent the entire book trying to work him out rather than trying to figure out who the bad guys were. We get a really interesting look into his relationship with his family too which is a good addition.

It's great that our favourite returning characters have stuck around (Dimitri and Sonya to name a few) but I especially liked that the "smaller" characters got bigger roles this time too. Like Clarence with his fantastical vampire-hunter stories. This story is so layered; it would take me a year to write all of the things that happened and what we learn about the characters, but that's why it's so good (and re-readable).

I definitely recommend this book to Richelle Mead fans but also those readers, YA or not, that may have lost hope in the vampire novels because Mead offers a completely new and interesting take on vampires with legend attached. I will definitely be reading The Indigo Spell when it comes out. Get yourself a copy! Quick!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Lily, 2 Aug 2014
Wow. Just, wow.
This book contains so much feels that my emotions were all over the place. Dear God, I have cried so hard I couldn't breathe, laughed so hard I cried. Every swerve in this book took me by surprise; there was just so much mystery lurking in the shadows that were invisible to the eye.
I loved every second of this book. It has taken me three days to read it, it was that freaking amazing.
The sexual tension between Adrian and Sydney just kept increasing and growing, so much so that I actually got goosebumps and shivers whenever they were together.
Adrian's sass was the highlight, as usual. Bloodlines just wouldn't be the same without him.
I recommend this to everyone who likes heartache, dark humour, and is a sucker for love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
Great book. Can't wait for silver shadows to come out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series, 23 Jun 2014
These are a spin off from Vampire Academy and are just as good, I really enjoyed the Bloodlines books so far and am looking forward to the next being released soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloodlines, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) (Paperback)
I collect the series. I love the story and how they characters gave developed over the years!! Great books, excellent read!!

Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2)
Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2) by Richelle Mead (Paperback - 12 Jun 2012)