4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Academy Spin Off
This review will contain spoilers.

I want to start by saying, you simply must read the original Vampire Academy series before reading this one. Many of the major plots and outcomes of the original series are revealed here in this book.

Published on 31 Aug 2011 by Rachael Parker

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality
I guess it's good, but not as good as I hoped it would be. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the order.
Published 17 months ago by Rihana

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Academy Spin Off, 31 Aug 2011
This review will contain spoilers.

OK I am a major Rose Hathaway fan, of the hundreds upon hundred of books I have read she is by far my favourite character of all time, so needless to say I was a little dubious approaching the VA universe without her.
Our narrator Sydney Sage is the polar opposite of Rose and to be honest I am glad, she see's and reacts to situations differently (as she should) and it's refreshing, I am truly looking forward to see how her character will develop over the course of the series.

I'm not going to rehash the synopsis of the book, that can be found at the top of the page in the book description. I'm just going to go over some of the best points of the book.

Adrian, Adrian, Adrian. You can place me firmly in team Belikov so it is a testament to Richelle that I love Adrian so much, fans will be pleased to know that he features heavily in this book with all his witty adorable banter in tow.
Sydney is good for him and I think in turn he will be good for her.

Poor Eddie after everything he has been through, boy does he deserve to get a break.

Although Jill remained a somewhat minor character throughout the book I can see a storm brewing for her.

All in all Richelle did a fantastic job establishing old and new characters in a new setting, the only thing that I couldn't get my head around was Sydney's unrelenting fear of magic, unease and discomfort yeah sure but out and out panic inducing terror just didn't sit right with me when I was reading it. I really hope something happens to change that type of reaction early on in the next books, I was irritated beyond belief when she panicked and refused Adrians spirit healing after the Strigoi attack.

Just one last thing.
That last sentence in the book.
Those four beautiful words.
I was screaming like a teenage fan girl.
Poor Adrian but OMG.

Loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect way to continue your VA fix, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
My Name is Laura and I am a Vampire Academy addict. So it will be no surprise that I was on tender hooks waiting for the postman to deliver me my copy of Bloodlines; the sequel series to the Vampire Academy books. I even had it delivered to work so I knew I wouldn't miss the delivery and even my bosses were on the lookout for it in the mail for me. They felt great empathy for a book worm in pain. Once it arrived (not soon enough *shakes fists at Royal Mail*) I dove in headfirst. This new series continues on in the VA world-scape but from the point of view of another character, Sydney Sage the Alchemist who takes on the undercover role at an elite high school to watch over Jill, a Moroi vampire, her guardian and her guardian of sorts/companion Adrian Ivashkov. HELL YES ARIAN IS BACK IN TOWN BABY! I loved Adrian and was tickled pink that he was being brought back for these books because there are few characters that can balance his charm, bad boy brooding skills and snark level without coming off like a jerk. I'm a snark junkie and Adrian is my fix of choice.

As ever, things are not as straight forward for Sydney as `watch out for the vampire and protect from bad guys' because of her history with the vampires and her ingrained anti vampire beliefs she has to fight her background and the powers that be in the Alchemist's system for her place and not to be cast out of her society completely. Sydney is much like Rose in the Vampire Academy books and is strong willed and smart but unlike Rose she finds it hard to show this side of her for fear of the repercussions. Rose is fearless where as Sydney has too much of a logical brain to live without fear. Fear is forced upon her.

The danger of the spin off series is not having enough of the original books to keep the original audience and in turn not have enough `new' ideas and material to warrant this fresh look at the fandom-verse but Richelle Mead is a master and doesn't disappoint. Bloodlines takes us on a new pathway into a world we already know and love and lets us see the world of Moroi, Dhamphirs and Stirgori threw new eyes and dangers to overcome as well as getting a huge look into the secret world of the Alchemists.

I was pleased to see more human interaction in the book because it made it more interesting for the characters to try and deal with each other but having to hide at the same time for fear of exposure to the wider world. Jill's character was explored nicely to let us get to know a character that was only touched upon in the VA books but became more developed in the last book so we got to really meet some characters that we already knew but didn't get a real feel for previously. The main story and the sub plots were well balanced and I'm really intrigued to see where they all go in the future books and if events in Bloodlines come back in bigger and badder ways.

The main thing I probably should address is a question I was asked by a non - VA reader: Can you read Bloodlines without having read the Vampire Academy books? I'd say that you can but I'd recommend that you read the VA's first mainly because if you decide to read them after Bloodlines then there are some big spoilers as to certain deaths and twists in Bloodlines that are revealed in the VA books and plus it's makes more logical sense to start from the beginning. However there isn't anything in Bloodlines that isn't explained so it does makes sense as a standalone; I'm just fussy about order.

Loved Bloodlines but I never had any doubt that I wouldn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars yay for Vampires, 25 Aug 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
I have been waiting for Bloodlines since the moment I finished reading the last Vampire Academy book I am so pleased to say that it totally lived up to all my expectations.

Slipping back into the world of Moroi and Dhampri was fantastic. This book has all of the qualities that I loved about the first series, Well written characters and pacey and intriguing storyline which keeps you on the edge of your seat with all of the twists and turns it makes.

Bloodlines picks up directly after the end of Last sacrifice and follows the story of Sydney the Alchemist we met in the VA series as she is sent on a mission to live under cover with a vampire and help to protect and hide her from the various people who want to kill her to get at the new Queen.

As Sydney and Jill settled into their new lives as a boarding school in Palm Springs passing themselves off as ordinary humans several storylines are established. The first and most pressing is the issue around the brutal deaths of several teenage girls in the vicinity in recent years. One of Sydney's tasks to to uncover more about who is involved and why in her role of ensuring Jill is safe. Another very interesting storyline is one that comes to Sydney's attention almost by accident involving strange tatoos that other students seem to be desperate to get and she only become aware of when one of them assumes hers is from the same place.

My absolute favourite thing about this book is that it had so many of the characters we met and loved in previous series. I loved seeing Adrian again in particular who was his usual gorgeous self throughout.

another thing that I loved about this book was that, in true Richelle Mead style, when the action kicked off it really kicked off. The last section of the book was at break neck pace with loads of twists and turns thrown in all over the place I was kept on the edge of my seat right through the last sentence. Speaking of the last sentence I did actually whoop with joy and excitment at the last two words (and that's all I'm saying).

If you are a fan of Vampire Academy you will love this series as it has all the same awesome qualities of the original series whilst adding even more to the world in an engaging and exciting new story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
Bloodlines is a spin-off series of the vampire academy series in which the alchemist Sydney has to look after Jill because she is being hunted by assassins trying to stop Lissa staying Queen. Also girls are being murdered and there tattoo which have unique powers.

I really like Sydney's character and while both rose and Sydney are both protective and loyal, Sydney likes to think before acting and enjoys learning new things which I can really relate to.

I'm really glad some of our favourite characters return such as Jill and Eddie but it was also good to meet new ones like Keith and Trey. However was I am really happy about is that Adrian is back, although I always thought Rose should be with Demitri, I really hope Adrian his happily ever after.

I also like how the romance in this series is slower and more realistic than most YA paranormal romances, and while there was not much romance in this book there is a lot of potential.

Although it is a bit slower than the vampire academy series it was brilliant and kept on making you guess what was going on and who the bad guys are. I would recommend Bloodlines to anyone who likes or loves the vampire academy series.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't believe I doubted liking this!, 4 Jun 2012
SPOILER FREE

When I heard Sydney was the protagonist in this spin-off of the Vampire Academy series (which you should definetly read before thix), I wasn't so sure. However, I have trusted that Miss Mead knew what she was doing. Sydney is a surprisingly good leading character. I also appreciated the return of old characters (Adrian! Rose also made some appearances).

I liked the story and I love the author's writing, the conversationalist side of it allows the reader to be plunged into the story.

Though I don't really like Jill, I will still give a five star review because the rest is so great !

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
Once again I don't really know how to write this review without it turning into a massive Richelle Mead Gust-Fest!
I think everyone has been waiting for this book to be released all year, I know I have!

For those of you who may have been living under a rock for the past year, Bloodlines is the new spin off from Richelle's Vampire Academy series. I loved Vampire Academy, it is one of my favourite YA book series', so I was super excited to eventually get my hands on Bloodlines.

This time around we are thrown into the world of Sydney who we met in the Vampire Academy series, but didn't really find out too much about her except for her job. She is an alchemist.
She pretty much cleans up vampire messes and works to make sure humans do not find out about the vampire world, even though she works with vampires, being nice, friendly or even tolerant towards them is strictly frowned upon in the alchemist world. After going rogue and helping Rose in the Vampire Academy series Sydney is in some series trouble with her family and the rest of the alchemists.

In order to save her younger sister from being thrown into the world of vampires, Sydney takes up a new job in Palm Springs, playing the role of Jill's (Queen Vasalisa's half sister) sister and dorming with her in a elite private school to keep her out of harms way.

I won't say too much else because I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't read the book yet.
I completely fell in love with this book from page one (which if you know me isn't a big shock, I fall in love with all of Richelle's books from page one!). At first I wasn't too sure about the story being told from Sydney's point of view. I didn't think she was that great of a character in Vampire Academy, she had some great parts in that series, but I didn't know if she had enough pull as a character to tell an entire story.
I was wrong, she did!

As the story unfolds we get to see some of our favourite characters from the Vampire Academy series, as well as some new ones from the Bloodlines world. I really liked how the two worlds mixed at the start of the book and there were characters from both series' sitting in the same room together.

As with all of Richelle's book there is a mysterious danger element in the book and when that mystery is finally unravelled I was completely shocked!

Even though Vampire Academy has come to and end, I'm looking forward to seeing glimpses of my favourite characters in the new Bloodlines series now.
Bloodlines will never be the same as Vampire Academy, it is not meant to be the same! I really cannot wait to read more about Sydney and her antics now.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
I have been eager to get my hands on this book! I had high expectations for it and I wasn't disappointed.

Okay, as much as I loved this book, I have to admit this is not quite as good as the previous books. Having said that, I still enjoyed reading it alot and would definitely recommend this book to VA fans. Richelle Mead certainly knows how to write books that are fun, action-packed and easy to read. I had my doubts when I heard that Sydney would be the narrator but was pleasantly surprised by her! Of course I missed Rose's bad ass-ness and witty humour but Sydney brought something new and different to the series. The story was interesting and is certain to grab your attention from the very first chapter. It is a big change from the previous storyline with Rose but it was a nice change. We get an insight into Sydney's character; how she grew up, her moral struggle between her loyalty to the alchemists and her friendship with the vampires and her desire to redeem herself in the eyes of her superiors.

So, Why did I like this book? I'll sum it up in one word: Adrain. Oh, Adrain.. In my opinion, Adrian made the book. Without him, it wouldn't be nearly as good! He's his usual lazy, arrogant and sarcastic self, but hey, that's what makes him great! How can you not love his dark humour and devil-may-care attitude? He is an emotional wreck after his break-up with Rose, but his growing relationship with Sydney seems to be helping him. Sydney's relationship with Adrain isn't romantic yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes so in the next book! It was also nice to get to read more about Eddie as well. I always liked his character and was glad that he got a bigger role in this book. Jill, of course, has a huge role in the book. I missed the old characters like Rose, Dimitri, Christian and Lissa but we get to know more new characters which is great.

I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil a perfectly good book. It is definitely worth a read, especially if you have read the previous books and enjoyed them. As I said before, not the best book she's written but it's still a great read :)
So to conclude...... BUY IT :) that is all. :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Vamp Academy spin off series book 1, 27 Aug 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
The biggest problem really is that we're supposed to be able to read this book even without having read the VA series. Many people who have read this said you can but I really don't think it's a very good idea. Too many characters from VA are brought back at some stage or another and there are a lot of references to plotlines that the other series explored. This wouldn't have been a bad thing for me if they had been mentioned in passing but some things have quite a large effect on the plot of this book so if you haven't read VA, you are going to end up quite confused.

That being said, as someone who has read VA, I was happy to see certain characters being brought back, Adrian in particular. I was always a massive Adrian fan in the previous series and hoped and prayed for better things for him and this series looks like it might just give him that! His character is a bit mixed when it comes to how he acts in this book due to how events in VA affected him but I still loved him anyway.

I wasn't too sure about Sydney to begin with but that is how I felt about her during VA. Luckily, she really did grow on me quite quickly as you get to find out a lot about her within a very short space of time. The beginning of the book made me realise that there was a lot more to this character than I had first imagined and I loved that she had some real depth to her. As Bloodlines carries on straight from the end of VA, Sydney is in the bad books of the Alchemists because of how she acted towards the vampires and I don't think I really thought about how she would be received after all the drama was over. That soon becomes clear though and I think Sydney was really brave and strong to react the way that she did and to fight for her place as an Alchemist.

I loved the different storylines in Bloodlines. Not only do we have the main idea of Jill being in danger but there are a few other really important things going on as well. Teenage girls are being murdered for some unknown reason and the strange tattoos students have are a massive deal. It was great that everything wasn't really all about Jill like I thought it was going to be. Instead, she kind of takes a bit of a backseat in this book which leaves time for more exciting things to happen. I'm sure that something bad is going to happen to her down the line though otherwise what would be the point of this new series.

After so much of a build up before the release of this book, I am very happy to say that it didn't disappoint me at all. I do think this is going to be more for VA fans than new readers but now it makes me really glad I did finally get around to reading the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars intriguing plot, 13 July 2014
Really enjoyed this spin off to vampire acadamy. The new characters are enrapturing. I miss rose but I'm sure we will see her again :)

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 4 July 2014
Brilliant loved every bit of it couldn't put this book down love Sydney can see her transform before ur eyes

Bloodlines (book 1)
Bloodlines (book 1) by Richelle Mead (Paperback - 25 Aug 2011)
5.59