4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Academy Spin Off
This review will contain spoilers.

I want to start by saying, you simply must read the original Vampire Academy series before reading this one. Many of the major plots and outcomes of the original series are revealed here in this book.

Published on 31 Aug. 2011 by Rachael Parker

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, easy read
A follow on from a best selling series, The Vampire Academy see's a young Alchemist Sydney sent on a mission to protect the royal vampire Jill from assassination by her own kind.
To save her reputation and career she must go undercover at a human academy in the sunny Palm Springs where no one should suspect anything untoward. However from the onset her supervisor...
Published on 7 July 2012 by nabalie

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Academy Spin Off, 31 Aug. 2011
This review will contain spoilers.

OK I am a major Rose Hathaway fan, of the hundreds upon hundred of books I have read she is by far my favourite character of all time, so needless to say I was a little dubious approaching the VA universe without her.
Our narrator Sydney Sage is the polar opposite of Rose and to be honest I am glad, she see's and reacts to situations differently (as she should) and it's refreshing, I am truly looking forward to see how her character will develop over the course of the series.

I'm not going to rehash the synopsis of the book, that can be found at the top of the page in the book description. I'm just going to go over some of the best points of the book.

Adrian, Adrian, Adrian. You can place me firmly in team Belikov so it is a testament to Richelle that I love Adrian so much, fans will be pleased to know that he features heavily in this book with all his witty adorable banter in tow.
Sydney is good for him and I think in turn he will be good for her.

Poor Eddie after everything he has been through, boy does he deserve to get a break.

Although Jill remained a somewhat minor character throughout the book I can see a storm brewing for her.

All in all Richelle did a fantastic job establishing old and new characters in a new setting, the only thing that I couldn't get my head around was Sydney's unrelenting fear of magic, unease and discomfort yeah sure but out and out panic inducing terror just didn't sit right with me when I was reading it. I really hope something happens to change that type of reaction early on in the next books, I was irritated beyond belief when she panicked and refused Adrians spirit healing after the Strigoi attack.

Just one last thing.
That last sentence in the book.
Those four beautiful words.
I was screaming like a teenage fan girl.
Poor Adrian but OMG.

Loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars yay for Vampires, 25 Aug. 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
I have been waiting for Bloodlines since the moment I finished reading the last Vampire Academy book I am so pleased to say that it totally lived up to all my expectations.

Slipping back into the world of Moroi and Dhampri was fantastic. This book has all of the qualities that I loved about the first series, Well written characters and pacey and intriguing storyline which keeps you on the edge of your seat with all of the twists and turns it makes.

Bloodlines picks up directly after the end of Last sacrifice and follows the story of Sydney the Alchemist we met in the VA series as she is sent on a mission to live under cover with a vampire and help to protect and hide her from the various people who want to kill her to get at the new Queen.

As Sydney and Jill settled into their new lives as a boarding school in Palm Springs passing themselves off as ordinary humans several storylines are established. The first and most pressing is the issue around the brutal deaths of several teenage girls in the vicinity in recent years. One of Sydney's tasks to to uncover more about who is involved and why in her role of ensuring Jill is safe. Another very interesting storyline is one that comes to Sydney's attention almost by accident involving strange tatoos that other students seem to be desperate to get and she only become aware of when one of them assumes hers is from the same place.

My absolute favourite thing about this book is that it had so many of the characters we met and loved in previous series. I loved seeing Adrian again in particular who was his usual gorgeous self throughout.

another thing that I loved about this book was that, in true Richelle Mead style, when the action kicked off it really kicked off. The last section of the book was at break neck pace with loads of twists and turns thrown in all over the place I was kept on the edge of my seat right through the last sentence. Speaking of the last sentence I did actually whoop with joy and excitment at the last two words (and that's all I'm saying).

If you are a fan of Vampire Academy you will love this series as it has all the same awesome qualities of the original series whilst adding even more to the world in an engaging and exciting new story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start but I want more!, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
It’s been a long time since I’ve read anything by Richelle Mead and most of that is my fault, because once I heard she was writing Bloodlines, the spin off to Vampire Academy series; I knew I wanted to read it, however, I also knew I wanted to wait for a few books to be released in the series before making a start on it. So, as you can see, with the release of the fourth book in the Bloodline series, I now felt it was the perfect time for me to start, and I’m so glad I did.

Bloodlines was a great start to this new series. Richelle Mead is a fantastic writer and it was so easy to slip back into her style of writing. I have to admit I was slightly unsure if I was going to enjoy the story being told from Sydney's point of view, however, I was completely taken by surprise by how much I come to enjoy and love her. Sydney was a great narrator! And of course it was great to get to know Eddie, Jill and Adrian more...or course Adrian. I was always a fan of him in the VA series, even though Rose did pick the right guy for her, sadly Adrian suffered because of that. I think it was a wise choice by Richelle to continue Adrian's story through out the Bloodline series. We all love him and we all want that happy ending for him, so hopefully he will get one.

I really enjoyed the whole plot of Bloodlines too. It was something new and different. Not only do we get more from the Moroi and Dhampirs but we get the Alchemists too. It was interesting to unravel Sydney's beliefs and find out more of the gritty stuff to her work. We get more than one bad guy and we get some hope of a relationship between Adrian and Sydney.....eek! I'm super excited for that.

Anyway, Bloodlines was a good start and I look forward to reading more in The Golden Lily.

5.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 6 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
Once again I don't really know how to write this review without it turning into a massive Richelle Mead Gust-Fest!
I think everyone has been waiting for this book to be released all year, I know I have!

For those of you who may have been living under a rock for the past year, Bloodlines is the new spin off from Richelle's Vampire Academy series. I loved Vampire Academy, it is one of my favourite YA book series', so I was super excited to eventually get my hands on Bloodlines.

This time around we are thrown into the world of Sydney who we met in the Vampire Academy series, but didn't really find out too much about her except for her job. She is an alchemist.
She pretty much cleans up vampire messes and works to make sure humans do not find out about the vampire world, even though she works with vampires, being nice, friendly or even tolerant towards them is strictly frowned upon in the alchemist world. After going rogue and helping Rose in the Vampire Academy series Sydney is in some series trouble with her family and the rest of the alchemists.

In order to save her younger sister from being thrown into the world of vampires, Sydney takes up a new job in Palm Springs, playing the role of Jill's (Queen Vasalisa's half sister) sister and dorming with her in a elite private school to keep her out of harms way.

I won't say too much else because I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't read the book yet.
I completely fell in love with this book from page one (which if you know me isn't a big shock, I fall in love with all of Richelle's books from page one!). At first I wasn't too sure about the story being told from Sydney's point of view. I didn't think she was that great of a character in Vampire Academy, she had some great parts in that series, but I didn't know if she had enough pull as a character to tell an entire story.
I was wrong, she did!

As the story unfolds we get to see some of our favourite characters from the Vampire Academy series, as well as some new ones from the Bloodlines world. I really liked how the two worlds mixed at the start of the book and there were characters from both series' sitting in the same room together.

As with all of Richelle's book there is a mysterious danger element in the book and when that mystery is finally unravelled I was completely shocked!

Even though Vampire Academy has come to and end, I'm looking forward to seeing glimpses of my favourite characters in the new Bloodlines series now.
Bloodlines will never be the same as Vampire Academy, it is not meant to be the same! I really cannot wait to read more about Sydney and her antics now.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
I have been eager to get my hands on this book! I had high expectations for it and I wasn't disappointed.

Okay, as much as I loved this book, I have to admit this is not quite as good as the previous books. Having said that, I still enjoyed reading it alot and would definitely recommend this book to VA fans. Richelle Mead certainly knows how to write books that are fun, action-packed and easy to read. I had my doubts when I heard that Sydney would be the narrator but was pleasantly surprised by her! Of course I missed Rose's bad ass-ness and witty humour but Sydney brought something new and different to the series. The story was interesting and is certain to grab your attention from the very first chapter. It is a big change from the previous storyline with Rose but it was a nice change. We get an insight into Sydney's character; how she grew up, her moral struggle between her loyalty to the alchemists and her friendship with the vampires and her desire to redeem herself in the eyes of her superiors.

So, Why did I like this book? I'll sum it up in one word: Adrain. Oh, Adrain.. In my opinion, Adrian made the book. Without him, it wouldn't be nearly as good! He's his usual lazy, arrogant and sarcastic self, but hey, that's what makes him great! How can you not love his dark humour and devil-may-care attitude? He is an emotional wreck after his break-up with Rose, but his growing relationship with Sydney seems to be helping him. Sydney's relationship with Adrain isn't romantic yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes so in the next book! It was also nice to get to read more about Eddie as well. I always liked his character and was glad that he got a bigger role in this book. Jill, of course, has a huge role in the book. I missed the old characters like Rose, Dimitri, Christian and Lissa but we get to know more new characters which is great.

I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil a perfectly good book. It is definitely worth a read, especially if you have read the previous books and enjoyed them. As I said before, not the best book she's written but it's still a great read :)
So to conclude...... BUY IT :) that is all. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
Bloodlines is a spin-off series of the vampire academy series in which the alchemist Sydney has to look after Jill because she is being hunted by assassins trying to stop Lissa staying Queen. Also girls are being murdered and there tattoo which have unique powers.

I really like Sydney's character and while both rose and Sydney are both protective and loyal, Sydney likes to think before acting and enjoys learning new things which I can really relate to.

I'm really glad some of our favourite characters return such as Jill and Eddie but it was also good to meet new ones like Keith and Trey. However was I am really happy about is that Adrian is back, although I always thought Rose should be with Demitri, I really hope Adrian his happily ever after.

I also like how the romance in this series is slower and more realistic than most YA paranormal romances, and while there was not much romance in this book there is a lot of potential.

Although it is a bit slower than the vampire academy series it was brilliant and kept on making you guess what was going on and who the bad guys are. I would recommend Bloodlines to anyone who likes or loves the vampire academy series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect way to continue your VA fix, 9 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
My Name is Laura and I am a Vampire Academy addict. So it will be no surprise that I was on tender hooks waiting for the postman to deliver me my copy of Bloodlines; the sequel series to the Vampire Academy books. I even had it delivered to work so I knew I wouldn't miss the delivery and even my bosses were on the lookout for it in the mail for me. They felt great empathy for a book worm in pain. Once it arrived (not soon enough *shakes fists at Royal Mail*) I dove in headfirst. This new series continues on in the VA world-scape but from the point of view of another character, Sydney Sage the Alchemist who takes on the undercover role at an elite high school to watch over Jill, a Moroi vampire, her guardian and her guardian of sorts/companion Adrian Ivashkov. HELL YES ARIAN IS BACK IN TOWN BABY! I loved Adrian and was tickled pink that he was being brought back for these books because there are few characters that can balance his charm, bad boy brooding skills and snark level without coming off like a jerk. I'm a snark junkie and Adrian is my fix of choice.

As ever, things are not as straight forward for Sydney as `watch out for the vampire and protect from bad guys' because of her history with the vampires and her ingrained anti vampire beliefs she has to fight her background and the powers that be in the Alchemist's system for her place and not to be cast out of her society completely. Sydney is much like Rose in the Vampire Academy books and is strong willed and smart but unlike Rose she finds it hard to show this side of her for fear of the repercussions. Rose is fearless where as Sydney has too much of a logical brain to live without fear. Fear is forced upon her.

The danger of the spin off series is not having enough of the original books to keep the original audience and in turn not have enough `new' ideas and material to warrant this fresh look at the fandom-verse but Richelle Mead is a master and doesn't disappoint. Bloodlines takes us on a new pathway into a world we already know and love and lets us see the world of Moroi, Dhamphirs and Stirgori threw new eyes and dangers to overcome as well as getting a huge look into the secret world of the Alchemists.

I was pleased to see more human interaction in the book because it made it more interesting for the characters to try and deal with each other but having to hide at the same time for fear of exposure to the wider world. Jill's character was explored nicely to let us get to know a character that was only touched upon in the VA books but became more developed in the last book so we got to really meet some characters that we already knew but didn't get a real feel for previously. The main story and the sub plots were well balanced and I'm really intrigued to see where they all go in the future books and if events in Bloodlines come back in bigger and badder ways.

The main thing I probably should address is a question I was asked by a non - VA reader: Can you read Bloodlines without having read the Vampire Academy books? I'd say that you can but I'd recommend that you read the VA's first mainly because if you decide to read them after Bloodlines then there are some big spoilers as to certain deaths and twists in Bloodlines that are revealed in the VA books and plus it's makes more logical sense to start from the beginning. However there isn't anything in Bloodlines that isn't explained so it does makes sense as a standalone; I'm just fussy about order.

Loved Bloodlines but I never had any doubt that I wouldn't!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5/5 stars, 15 April 2015
Previously seen on www.emmamazey.blogspot.com
Bloodlines is the first book in the spin-off series to Vampire Academy, whilst a few of the characters from VA appear in this series it predominately focuses on new characters, or characters that didn't play a massive part in the other series, this book creates another dimension to the VA world.

Sydney, the main protagonist was first introduced in Blood Promise (from the VA series) and this spin off series focuses on the aftermath of helping Rose Hathaway with her predicaments from the previous series. Sydney is an Alchemist, which is a group that works alongside the Vampires and covers up any Strigoi attacks, however, they absolutely hate both the Moroi and the Dhampirs and think that they are an abomination. So when Sydney Sage is enlisted to help try and protect the next in line to the Moroi crown she isn't too pleased. Or so it seems. Her role in helping Rose has ensured that she is left throughly confused about if the Alchemists views on Vampires is entirely true.

In Vampire Academy Sydney was a very odd, one-dimensional character with no real personality, however, this book she really gets to show herself off. She is annoying and flawed, like almost every protagonist in YA fantasy fiction, she is arrogant when it comes to her intelligence and sometimes her inner turmoil over the Vampires is a little frustrating, but totally understandable given the circumstances.

Adrian, for me is the real star in this book. I liked him a lot in VA but I absolutely love him in Bloodlines. I love that he is so flawed and a complete mess but he knows it and owns it. He has the best one liners with his sarcastic, witty usually rude remarks and always, always offers a sense of relief and entertainment. I am glad that he is finally having a life after Rose completely ditched him at the end of VA (nope, I'm still not over it).

The plot in this book was brilliant, it was fairly slow at the start when it was setting the scene and the characters but as it progressed I was hooked. I like that although Sydney is the main protagonist, every other character like Eddie and Jill as well as Adrian all have their moments of spotlight and I really feel as if you get to know them all, rather than just getting one side of the situation. Its clever how even though it is all through Sydney's perspective you still feel as though you are getting to know the other secondary characters.

Overall, I was very impressed with this book and am extremely excited to continue on, I love Richelle Mead's writing and the way she world builds and her character progression is like no other.

4.5/5 STARS

On a side note though, I really wish that both this series and Vampire Academy have cover changes as they just really, really don't give an accurate representation of the book and I feel like so many people will be put off by the covers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloodlines by Richelle Mead, 19 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
As soon as I finished reading the Vampire Academy series I was extremely eager to start on the Bloodlines series so I ordered them all in from my library. I was hoping to read them all last month, but I never had the time to get around to them since I had so many other books to read. So I waited until this month so that I could marathon the first 4 books. I'm definitely glad I waited because everytime I finished a book I move straight on to the next one because I had to know what was going to happen next.

Bloodlines followed Sydney Sage (alchemist) who is sent to California to protect Jill because there was an attempt on her life. Eddie accompanies Jill to protect her and Adrian just tags along. All 4 of them have to pretend to be siblings to blend in and protect Jill. While Sydney is protecting Jill she discovers that there is something else going on in Palm Springs and she's determined to get to the bottom of it.

So my main reason for wanting to start this series so badly was Sydney. Although she wasn't in Vampire Academy that much, she was in it enough to interest me. Sydney is an alchemist. The alchemists are a secret group who work to protect humans from finding out that there are vampires in the world, which means they also help vampires (no matter how much they hate them/are scared of them). Sydney is just such an amazing female character. She's not supposed to like Vampires but after he adventures with Rose she's realised that they aren't as bad as she thought. Sydney is an extremely smart and reliable character. She always does her best to help everyone and that's one the things I really love about her. She's such a hilarious character because she's so naive. Sydney is all wrapped up in her own little world and I just love her.

And then there's Adrian. I never in a million years thought I would love Adrian more than Dimitri & Christian, but I do! Adrian is just one of the sweetest guys ever. He's absolutely hilarious and had me laughing my head off when he was messing around with Keith. Adrian has his own problems going on which are revealed throughout the book and he's still trying to get over Rose. Adrian is just so adorable and I love him to bits.

There was a hell of a lot going on in this book. Sydney was rooming with Jill at school and was doing her best to protect and look out for her, but Jill had her own problems going on that Sydney didn't know about. Adrian was the only one who could help her and that led to me piecing some things together. I also liked that we eventually got to find out what happened at the Palace when Jill was attacked. Everything was being kept under wraps for quite a while because there were things Sydney didn't know, so I enjoyed uncovering them. There were people at school who were getting tattoo's to enhance their abilities and Sydney started to think there was something off about them, so she decided to investigate. And, as if that wasn't enough to be dealing with, there were also girls being killed and they were being classes as Strigoi attacks even though their throats were slit. So yeah, Sydney had a lot on her plate in this book but she handle it all.

The ending was fantastic and revealed a lot of things I never expected (minus the Keith revelation, because I expected that one). There was action, Sydney being badass and a fantastic last sentence that left me squealing and jumping up and down.

Overall, I actually think I enjoyed Bloodlines a lot more than Vampire Academy. I just couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next so as soon as I finished this one I dove straight into The Golden Lily. If you're a fan of the Vampire Academy series and you haven't started reading Bloodlines yet, I definitely, definitely recommend that you do!

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
(Source: I borrowed a copy of this book.)
When Sydney's father wakes her in the middle of the night to join an alchemist's meeting, the last thing she expects is to be spent to Palm Springs to share a room with a Moroi vampire!
It's the alchemist's job to keep vampires under control, but because of a change of monarch, the new queen's sister - Jill is in danger, and it's now up to Sydney to keep her from harm, even if that means attending boarding school with her and pretending to be her sister.

There's more going on in Palm Springs than Sydney know though. There's aMoroi vampire who is being investigated because he might be selling his blood, and there's several other people lurking around who seem to cause trouble without even trying. There's also the small matter of several girls being found dead with their throat slit open, and a tattoo parlour that's selling magical tattoos.
Can Syndey keep Jill safe though? What is the alchemist who is in charge of Palm Springs up to? What is going on with these magical tattoos? Who is killing girls and slitting their throats? And is there anything to the `Vampire Hunter' rumours?

An interesting take on vampires, with a feisty main character.

When I saw this at the library I decided it was probably time for me to give this series a try!
Sydney was a truly feisty main character, and she was also professional and considerate. She took her job protecting Jill very seriously, and made a real effort to keep things under control, both at the school and elsewhere in Palm Springs. She made a point of sorting things out, even small things that other people wouldn't have thought important, and even tried to help the other Moroi vampires who were close to Jill.

Some of the other characters were a bit annoying though - Keith especially. Jill was a little whiney, and I don't get why things like the fact that she wouldn't be able to do PE in the sun weren't addressed before they went out there! Adrian was alright, and I'm guessing we're going to be hearing more from him in the next books.

I liked the storyline in this book, and I liked that there was a lot going on without it being confusing. I liked how the different storylines tied together, and there were plenty of twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I thought that the take on vampires was very different to what I have read before which was a refreshing change. It was also good to read a book where people weren't falling all over themselves to become vampires!
I haven't read the `Vampire Academy' series so I can't compare the two, but I thought this was pretty good, the ending left lots of storylines open though which will obviously continue in the next book. This book did have an ending though, although considering what happened Sydney certainly seemed to get a lot out of the ending of this book!
Overall; a different take on vampires, with a feisty main character.
7 out of 10.

Bloodlines (book 1)
Bloodlines (book 1) by Richelle Mead (Paperback - 25 Aug. 2011)