5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars
Some spoilers may be included.
I have been a Percy Jackson fan for a few years now and always look forward to the new releases. It always seems like a long time between books but when you get them the wait is so worth while and they are always big. This book is a hefty 572 pages, but that's over 500 pages of sheer awesomeness!!!
It did take me a little while to...
Published 20 months ago by Barmy_Bex

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Fun, but the Formula is Getting Old
It has finally happened - demigods from the Greek Camp Half-Blood have arrived at the Roman demigod camp in San Francisco. They are there to reunite Percy with Annabeth and pick up Hazel and Frank so they can begin the quest of the seven to the ancient lands. The peace between the two camps is fragile at best, but that's better than it's been in all of history...
Published 21 months ago by Mark Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Hardcover)
Some spoilers may be included.
It did take me a little while to get back into the story and remember what had happened in the previous books but once I was there, i was right back into the book.
I'm not even sure where to start with this, this book just had so much to it that I'm finding it hard to sum it up.
I suppose characters are a big thing, after all - no characters, no story!
So Annabeth is kind of a main player in this book and she has grown a lot since that little twelve year old we first met. She is smart, feisty, passionate, logical, head-strong and vulnerable. She has moments of pure awesomeness, a really butt-kicker, but where Percy is involved she can be weak at the knees, that is when she isn't fighting to be with him, or protect him. I loved their connection and relationship. Their reunion just makes my heart melt!
And her whole solo quest thing, wow, that girl has some serious pressure on her and steps straight into the face of danger and the unknown. You got to admire the girl's courage.
Percy, ah Percy! Man I love that boy. He's cheeky and arrogant and boastful, yet insecure and sometimes shy. He's a fighter and true hero, but with a heart, one heck of a heart and a fierce love for Annabeth and the urge to do the right thing. He also has some great one liners.
Jason - I've been pretty indifferent to Jason up until now, I wasn't really bothered about what he did, or whether he was around, but throughout this book I found myself looking forward to his scenes, and his relationship with Piper was sweet, although there were moments when I was shouting at him to just 'kiss her already', he's a bit slow with the whole relationship stuff, but it's kind of endearing. And Piper herself kicks butt.
Leo is BACK!!! Leo has to be one of my all time favourite characters, he is so funny and immature, yet he always means well and tries his best and really you can tell he just wants to fit in. My heart goes out to Leo, seriously I love this boy, and he makes me laugh out loud more than any other character.
There are other characters to get to know better too, Hazel and Frank (who I just want to hug by the way) for a start.
Having the book told from different POV's also allow us an extra insight into their lives and personality and make you feel like you are connecting better to them.
The plot of this book is quite fast paced and there is always something going on. You tend to get 3/4 chapters with each character before it switches to another POV, this ensures that you are hooked in and pulled along, then moved along before you get bored. Although this did take me slightly longer to read than I thought it would, A few bits were slightly predictable, but overall it didn't lower my enjoyment of the book, I was still very impressed with it.
There are some truly laugh out loud moments, some 'Nooooooo' moments, some 'awwww' moments and some 'OMG EPIC!!!' moments, really a bit of everything.
Rick Riordan really is a master storyteller and I am truly looking forward to the next part 'The House of Hades', but why do we have to wait another year for it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 12 Oct 2012
Another amazing book by Rick Riordan! i have followed Rick Riordaan from the start (before the film). Amd i do not regret. Now i live to love Greek and Roman history!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Riordan page-turner, 3 Oct 2012
EJK (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Hardcover)
The Mark of Athena is the third book in the Heroes of Olympus series and is another page-turner by Riordan. The Mark of Athena sees the Roman and Greek demi-gods travelling around the US, battling sea monsters in the Atlantic before trying to prevent giants from destroying Rome and then the rest of the world. We learrn more about Leo and Hazel with Piper and Annabeth also receiving more narative time than the male characters. The writing is well-paced and the characters, as we are used to with Riordan, are well-drawn. I had mixed views about the ending - slightly disappointed that the story wasn't fully resolved but pleased that it means that there will be at keast one more book. Highly recommended for the children and adults alike. I do recommend, however, that you read the first two Heroes of Olympus to appreciate fully this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Hardcover)
I bought this book on Kindle the second I woke up on the 2nd, I read every free second, and even some not-so-free ones. Therefor I can say that this book has been written amazingly well. Whilst I think that Rick Riordan has possibly taken the easier way out in choosing Annabeth, she is also who I would have chosen given the desision.
There were two things I was looking forward to; the Reunion and Nico di Angelo.
I was not dissapointed.
I have given this book five stars as it has tied up a couple of loose ends that I needed to know about and created a few more.
Finally, we get to find out about Annabeth from inside her own head (an interesting place) and her love for her Seaweedbrain.
There are a couple of heart-breakingly romantic scenes but enough action to make this a book for both genders and I personally found Gleeston Hedge a real assent to the team of seven (if only for his way of stating the obvious).

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool book, 4 Jan 2013
It was interesting with a cliff hanger at the end and it was very exciting . It also used a lot of true myths

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Book, 3 Jan 2013
This is probably one of the best books Rick Riordan has ever written.
It's such a shame it's not a happy ending.
I can't wait for the next book and I just hope they all survive otherwise I'll go off Rick Riordan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic like all his books!, 12 Nov 2012
It has a lot of suspence like all the other books, cute moments, angry moment, happy moments, just everything! This book I deffinitly would recommened to any fans of fantasy adventure and Rick Riordan fans will love it even more so! I'm just dying for the nest book to be released as i am a hge fan of his work and this book was amazing! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Den x, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Hardcover)
I bought this book and all of the other books by Rick riordin, for my grandson. He can barely wait for the books to come out, they are read within days then, they are passed to me to read. As I'm 58 yes old, I think that's the best recommendation anyone can give.

5.0 out of 5 stars Percy Jackson at his best, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my 12 year old son. This series has him hooked and the latest book was long awaited. Rick Riorden is the only thing that tears him away from his playstation. As a parent I feel Rick Riorden has done for young male readers what Stephanie Mayer did with Twilight for girls. My son has written the following review on this book. "Heroes of Olympus is Percy Jackson at his best. Rick Riordan has recreated his best selling book in action, adventure and mythology. You can learn history while reading a fictional story combined with fictional characters."

5.0 out of 5 stars Heros Of Olympus The Mark Of Athena, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) (Hardcover)
Rick Riordan has once again brought a great read to us just reading about Percy and camp half blood have been great reads they have been fun to read and now in the last two books he has introduced the Roman camp which has brought more twists into it which is always good. Also love the Kane books aswell there also another good set off books lets hope Rick keeps briniging us these for years to come

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3)
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus Book 3) by Rick Riordan (Hardcover - 2 Oct 2012)
Used & New from: 0.57