5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
Having read all the books before this one and been on the edge of my seat, longing for 4th October and the release date for "Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune," dying to know what happened next after the cliffhanger at the end of the previous book, I have just completed reading it and was not disappointed.

It is pacey, exciting, witty and full of the...
Published on 5 Oct. 2011 by Ginan Tonic

3.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping for more
This book was a really good read, as are all the percy jackson books, but I was hoping to read about characters I actually know, not completely random characters acting as if they are the star of the series by immediately having their point of view shown. Still, overall, I loved this book, and the new addition of the roman camp is very cool. (My favourite character is...
Published 4 months ago by Mr B Apfel

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 5 Oct. 2011
Ginan Tonic (Shenfield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)

It is pacey, exciting, witty and full of the character flaws, weaknesses, decision making, surprise twists in the story and ultimate heroism I have come to expect from this series. It really is a great read and hard to put down, landing straight into the action from the first paragraph. Already I am wanting to know what happens next and waiting with anticipation for the next book in the Heroes of Olympus series.

The characters are always so engaging, full of secrets that need uncovering and Riordan really is a master storyteller. If you have never read any of the Percy Jackson tales, do start at the beginning and follow the progression from "The Lightning Thief" all the way through to "The Son of Neptune." It's a brilliantly entertaining series of stories that both has you laughing out loud in places and on the edge of your seat in others. Our 10 year old has loved them all and has the added advantage that he is now very knowledgeable about Greek mythology which has stood him in good stead at school! Read the series and enjoy. You won't regret the experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still absolutely fantastic, but lost a little of the glimmer., 9 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)
I won't deny that I adored the Percy Jackson series, the characters were really engaging, the blend of classical mythology and modern sarcastic humour works brilliantly.
Likewise the prequel to this "The Lost Hero" was fantastic for much the same reason and you should really read them all.
However, I found The Son of Neptune slightly disappointing by comparison. Maybe it's because Percy isn't actually the main character and it's what I've become used to expecting, but Reyna, Frank and Hazel are all much easier to engage with in this book because you are expected to know all about Percy to read this so it feels a little bit like Riordan has undersold Percy.
However that is my greatest criticism, Frank and Hazel (Percy's partners) are fantastic characters and the witty style is still there for the most part.
Regardless it is still a very good book and I encourage anyone who has read the series to follow it, and if you haven't read the series read it all and The Lost Hero, so you can understand many of the little references made about Percy and characters from the Percy Jackson series and The Lost Hero.
One little spoiler though that any fan will understand TYSON's BACK! That should have you sold.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Son of Neptune, 23 Oct. 2013
The Son of Neptune is the second book in Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series and marks the return of Percy Jackson. While his whereabouts had become clear to readers towards the end of The Lost Hero, Percy himself has little idea where he has been and what he might have done to earn the hatred of the Gorgon sisters. Although Percy's inconvenient amnesia means that he doesn't remember killing Medusa, her sisters certainly do and so they have been pursuing him with a vengeance (and a tray of sample snacks) across the country for months. Fortunately for Percy, the pursuit ends just outside of Camp Jupiter, the Roman equivalent of Camp Half-Blood.

After being ambiguously advised by Juno, Percy decides that he will head for the relative safety of Camp Jupiter and, along with Hazel Levesque and Frank Zhang, two demigods who happened to be on guard duty outside the Camp, he manages to defeat the Gorgons. Although Reyna, the Praetor of the Camp, is initially distrustful of Percy, she allows him to join the legion on a probationary basis and assigns him to the Fifth Cohort. It soon becomes clear that life amongst the Romans is just as complicated and dangerous as life with the Greeks and so Percy doesn't get to enjoy his safe haven for long. After the Fifth Cohort win the Camp's war games, Mars appears and orders that Percy, Frank and Hazel embark on a quest to the North to free the imprisoned Thanatos and so restore order to the underworld.

The Son of Neptune is another excellent adventure story from Rick Riordan. While Jason Grace is a great hero, Percy Jackson is even better and so it is wonderful to be able to follow his adventures once again. The quest to free Thanatos involves lots of thrills and spills and so this story contains all the excitement that fans of Percy's previous outings will expect. As well as the action there is also plenty of humour, wit and the occasional dire pun. The story and the characters of The Son of Neptune result in a fascinating mix of Greek and Roman mythology as the fantastical worlds of the various demigods collide.

Aside from Percy, a number of other family faces and fan favourites pop up with delightful effect in the course of The Son of Neptune. Several interesting new characters are also introduced. Hazel Levesque and Frank Zhang are the most important of these as they, as well as having their own mysterious back stories, accompany Percy on the quest and actually share the narrating duties with him. Hazel is something of a tragic figure who has experienced more than her fair share of sadness although she possesses great power and bravery vital to the success of the quest. Frank has his own curse to bear and, while more obviously strong that Hazel, he is perhaps the most vulnerable of the three heroes. Despite this, he has a sense of duty and a loyalty to his friends, as well as a tendency to be amusingly klutzy, that makes him particularly endearing. A new favourite though has to be Ella the Harpy, a useful bookworm, an amusing linguist and a total scene stealer. Hopefully she will play a larger role in future books in the series.

Like all good adventure stories, there are also several nefarious villains involved in The Son of Neptune. While the Gorgon sisters and Ma Gasket are all on the humorous side, Gaia is as menacing as ever and Polybotes is certainly not to be messed with. Even Octavian looks like he might shape up to be a dangerous foe for Percy.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible as always mr riordan, 15 Oct. 2011
*Spoilers may occur*
since 'the lightning thief' i have always loved rick riordan's books- they're really cleverly set out with loads of laughs thrown in. Son of Neptune is also addictive and i love how he's brought back Percy. I feel i will explode with anticipation for the next three in the series!! hazel and frank are so cute together too. it's a really good buy and if you're like me you'll prpbably end up reading it several times while waiting for the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - what an experience!, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)
Another fantastic book by Rick Riordan. As is usual with Rick Riordan books, the scene is set and the characters are developed exceptionally well, allowing you to be quickly immersed. This is an excellent addition to the Heroes of Olympus series - another "can't put it down" book!
The Rick Riordan Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus and Kane Chronicles books really are amazing - they offer an ideal introduction to mythology (Greek, Roman and Egyptian) as well as quite simply being excellent, enthralling stories; the blend of ancient myths and modern day life conjures up incredible storylines and brings the myths and their key players to life. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still not as good as Percy Jackson, 21 Sept. 2013
Wow. After The Lost Hero, which was extremely disappointing to me, The Son of Neptune is a definite improvement. I started really skeptically, and the first half was extremely slow and contrived, but the second half more than made up for it.

The Positives

I think should first give honorable mention to Ella. I think of all the new characters introduced in The Heroes of Olympus, she is by far the best one. She's extremely adorable, I love all the facts she spouts out - her dialogue is epic. The only less awesome thing to say about her is that I have no idea how to picture her in my mind. Riordan could have elaborated a bit more of just what a harpy looks like.

Percy finally returned to us, and what a breath of fresh air it is. I wish it were still only Percy's POV. He's still the most hilarious, however in this installment we also get to see more emotional depth to him than in earlier books in the entire Percy Jackson saga. The scenes where he is struggling to regain his memories and coping with missing Annabeth are honestly beautiful. When he contacts Tyson, it almost brought a tear to my eye. Their relationship is so adorable as well. Riordan creates so much depth to this one character that it is just a pity that he wastes his time trying to flesh out these other POVs that don't have the same effect at all - they're still characters taken out of nowhere and declared to be important, without a real build up. I really believe that if he focused on Percy's POV alone, Percy would quickly become my favorite hero character in any book ever (yes, even over Harry Potter, who I always found a bit stiff).

Arion is awesome and must be mentioned. Any time Percy converses with a horse I just burst out laughing. I should also give props to Frank's grandmother, who is just epic as well.

Riordan's humor is still top level. Iris wanting Frank to become a ROFL-copter. Four for you, Riordan. Anyone who orders anything from Amazon is funding the Amazonian nation. Snicker. Over the river and through the woods, to grandmother's house we go. Hilarious. Death with his iPad, skyping Pluto. Priceless.

While the first half was very slow and felt contrived and sub-par, the second half definitely picked up. The scenes at Amazon reminded me of how awesome this series can be, the first time I was so delighted since I put down The Last Olympian. Hazel finally became tolerable in the escape, because she started fighting - really fighting (not summoning jewelry) - and I guess I sort of like that side of her. The battle at Camp Jupiter was also epic.

The Negatives

Dear Riordan, how dare you bring us so far into the story and just as the ship lands, end it. I need my Percy/Annabeth reunion now. *sigh* A couple more months... (This isn't really negative, as I'm sufficiently excited for the next installment, but I just have so many feels about this it's ending up under negative.)

Percy losing the mark of Achilles was super lame. It makes that whole part of the original series almost completely meaningless. What. While I understand the difficulty of continuing a series where the hero is invulnerable, it just felt so contrived and lame. Within the first 20 pages too! And he had to make the choice to cross the river. (Maybe, if he had just woken up and it had already been taken because he crossed into the Roman world, it would have felt less lame.)

Riordan cannot write tolerable female POVs in my eyes, although Hazel is more tolerable than Piper. In the beginning I really had trouble taking her "curse" seriously, because it just sounded like she was pooping diamonds. *cough* But that was mostly because I entered the book really skeptically. Once she meets Arion, she does get more tolerable, because she's genuinely happy at times and it's not all teenage angst and ~omg I love Frank~. When Riordan creates female personalities, it sometimes works - like Hylla! How awesome is she? But the female POVs he writes... hmm.. This makes me really nervous for when he'll write Annabeth's POV in The Mark of Athena. Although, I still am relatively confident that that'll succeed if only because he's already fleshed out her character and personality, so it won't be completely out of the blue. And she'll have less angst that makes me roll my eyes.

I was really disappointed to find within 50 something pages that Riordan already created a couple in Frank & Hazel. Yay, instalove. It was done better than Jason & Piper in The Lost Hero, because there there was absolutely no build up to speak of. Frank and Hazel towards the second half of the book become sort of all right, but it feels like a cheap trick because you already know it's going to happen within 50 pages. I really prefer relationships to have such a buildup that you couldn't imagine it any other way - like Percy & Annabeth. But I suppose Riordan didn't have the patience to develop this relationship over 5 books or so like Percy's. And considering how much broader the cast of characters is, I can sort of understand not wanting to take so long to create a relationship, but 50 pages is pushing it. Cheap.

Frank was a satisfactory character. Likeable enough and of the 5 new main characters introduced in The Heroes of Olympus, I think he was the most well developed one. Toward the end, I definitely thought he was kind of cool. The only thing that I can say against it (besides not liking the Frank/Hazel) is that it's kind of distracting to have two hero characters, especially here - when the focus is on 3 characters. Two of the three are heroes? (Ultimately, they're all heroes, I know, but for all intents and purposes, I mean the "main" hero, because you know there's always one leader and a group of followers, etc.) It was a bit weird, especially when they left Frank's grandmother's house, and Frank is the one fighting the Laistrygonians and telling Percy to go ahead and run - despite Percy's experience with Laistrygonians. I like him stepping up to the plate and proving his worth, don't get me wrong, but then I got an image of Percy running away from a battle? That.. doesn't really work. I guess I'm still coping with the fact that this series is more of a spin-off of Percy Jackson & the Olympians than a sequel, and it's not really Percy-centric anymore. A cast of seven heroes, each one must have their time in the spotlight, I get it. But I'm still getting used to it.

Overall

I rather enjoyed this one. I'm glad I didn't give up after The Lost Hero. I'm hoping that now that all the new character introductions (which Riordan completely rushes and butchers imho) are done, the story will be much less annoying, move faster, and be more epic. I still have my reservations though. I don't think this series is at the same level as Percy Jackson & the Olympians.

The prospect of the new book kind of scares me because you KNOW the hinting about Reyna/Jason/Piper, and now Frank/Hazel/Leo - love triangles. They're going to happen. And I'm going to bash my head into a wall. Please don't make the story about that Riordan! Please! Let romance stay a side story, don't put too much focus on it, and please no female POV where it's like "Ohhh, I don't know what to doooo, I still like himmmm, but he's cool tooooo!" If that happens in The Mark of Athena I'm going to be massively disappointed.

Recommended for: fans of Percy Jackson and The Heroes of Olympus.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Side of the Demigod Coin, 16 April 2012
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)
Percy Jackson has no memory of his past at all except for the name Annabeth. All he can remember is the last 8 months. But something is drawing him to the hills around San Francisco.

What he finds there is Camp Jupiter, a Roman outpost in America. The inhabitants are made up of demigods like himself who swear allegiance to the Roman side of the ancient gods. They base their camp around Roman military outposts and the even have a Roman city where they can retire after serving the required number of years.

Percy arrives in mid-June and quickly finds himself falling in with Hazel and Frank, to demigods near his own age with secrets in their past. The three of them are sent on a quest to free Death so that the monsters the demigods kill will once again die. Will they live long enough to succeed? What will the cost be to the three of them if they do? And will Percy ever remember who he is?

Since Percy is going through what Jason did in the last book, I was worried that this one would feel like a retread. It didn't because we know Percy's backstory, so watching him regain it was actually interesting. Of course, the plot follows the familiar lines we've had in all these books. I'd like to see a little deviation from the formula, but I do still find the formula entertaining.

And it allows the characters to shine. I love Hazel and Frank as much as I do the other characters in this universe. Even some of the periphery characters we don't get to know as well are great.

Then there's the humor. While all these books have some laughs, I feel like this is the funniest to date. I especially loved a section set in the headquarters of a certain major website located in Seattle.

Those who are ready for an epic adventure will enjoy this fun series. The latest book is another great offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to Percy Jackson and the stories get better and better!, 15 Mar. 2012
Schneehase (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)
I have read and re-read all the Percy Jackson stories (including The Lost Hero that he's not actually in) and think they are superbly written and I would highly recommend them to anyone who has any interest at all in very good children's fantasy fiction and/or Greek/Roman mythology.
This book follows up on the action of 'The Lost Hero', and explains where Percy has been while Jason Grace has taken his place at Camp Half Blood. Percy has been held in suspended animation by Hera/Juno and finds his way to another camp for half-bloods where he falls in with Frank and Hazel, two Roman Legionnaries who have big problems of their own. One of Percy's problems is that he doesn't remember anything very much from his life; he remembers Annabeth's name and the fact that he is a demigod and that's about it.
His new 'team' are worthy replacements for Grover and Annabeth. Frank is a descendant both of Poseidon and is the son of Mars and has some very impressive gifts that he slowly discovers along with his self-confidence during the book. Hazel is a daughter of Pluto (and the Roman god Pluto was quite different to the Greek Hades), and also has some spectacular gifts which she tries to hide but which she needs to use to save her friends.
Mars Ultor, one of the guardian gods of Rome, sends the three newly formed friends on a terriying quest to free Thanatos (the god of death) and thus thwart Gaia who is still trying to destroy the gods once and for all.
I enjoyed this book so much I read it through twice back-to-back and will doubtless read it many more times in the series (I like to read series in order!). If you are a Percy Jackson fan - this is a book not to miss!
More please Rick Riordan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Rick Riordan classic, 7 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)
I have been looking forward to reading this for pretty much a whole year, although it really does not seem like twelve months since I read the first Heroes of Olympus book, The Lost Hero. A word of warning before I go on though: if you haven't read that book yet then proceed with caution as this review may contain a few spoilers. Apart from the fact that I love Rick Riordan's writing, and that The Lost Hero was, in my opinion, a return to form after the slightly disappointing (for me at least) The Red Pyramid, one of the key reasons for my excitement regarding this book was its title. Anyone who knows a small amount about Roman mythology knows that Neptune was their god of the sea. In other words, Neptune is the Roman equivalent of Poseidon, therefore meaning that The Son of Neptune could mean only one thing..... the return of Percy Jackson!

Yes, PJ fans, your hero is back in another action-packed adventure, and I loved every moment of it. Despite my excitement about this book, in the back of my mind I guess I was a little worried that it would either a) not match the quality of the original series and/or b) feel like I had read it all before. I had nothing to be worried about: first off, the quality is as high as ever and secondly, Rick Riordan very cleverly prevents b) from happening by doing what he did to Jason in The Lost Hero, i.e. completely wiping his memory of all that had come before. He can remember his name, and he has a slowly fading memory of a girl called Annabeth, but that is it. And so we begin all over again.

The book starts at roughly the same moment in the Heroes of Olympus timeline as The Lost Hero ended. Percy is on the run in California, pursued by a pair of revenge-hungry gorgons who just refuse to die. His demigod instincts lead him to the entrance to a camp that he did not know existed, and despite the nasty sisters hot on his heels, he also manages to 'rescue' an old lady and take her in with him. Of course, in the world of Percy Jackson old ladies are rarely what they first seem, and in this case his rescuee is no other than Juno (the Roman equivalent of Hera, and someone who has at times been something of an irritating thorn in PJ's side).

Camp Jupiter is very different to Camp Half-Blood, with the layout and architecture all set out to emulate the style that was typical in ancient Rome. The set-up in the camp is also very different to that of its Greek equivalent. As would be expected with any society based upon that of ancient Rome, everything is very regimented, with the camp members sorted into cohorts, each with its own lead centurion, and all overseen by a senate and a pair of praetors. Naturally there is a good deal of suspicion towards Percy, however his taking Juno into the camp, and using his powers over water to aid the camp members in defeating the gorgons, means that he is quickly accepted into the fold, albeit with hefty dose of suspicion from some members, one of which knows Percy from a long time ago (and we are talking the earlier part of the original PJ series here).

Obviously if this whole story was set in Camp Jupiter then it might have been quite difficult for even Rick Riordan to keep things interesting, and so it is not long before Percy finds himself setting off on another quest, but with a brand set of friends that he needs to learn and to trust, and vice versa. The adventure that ensues is as good as any that we have read from Rick Riordan in the past, and even though there is the occasional mention or appearance of monsters and characters from Percy's past, it still feels very fresh and most definitely not predictable in any way. Hazel and Frank, the two new characters who are tasked with accompanying Percy on the quest both come with a both secrets and flaws, and these elements keep us guessing at the final outcome right up to the climax of the story.

I'm not sure this is my favourite Percy Jackson adventure, although it comes close. Although I am not generally a fan of stories written in the first person I am a huge fan of Percy's voice in those original five books, and in this book, which is narrated in the third person, he has to share the limelight with Frank and Hazel. As we know Percy already the author seems to assume that all of his readers have read the original books, and therefore in this story I found it a lot easier to engage with Hazel and Frank as their characters were developed so much more fully. This is not a criticism as at 500+ pages The Son of Neptune is already a pretty hefty tome and to have spent more time on Percy would probably have made it too long for its main target audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of the Heroes of Olympus Series, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)
Finally Percy is back, along with two new demigods, on a quest to once again help save the world. Again, I loved this book! Everything about it just screamed brilliant. The characters, story and world were still so perfect I could not get enough of it.

I felt that there was a lot more background information in this one compared to The Lost Hero. Camp Jupiter, the Roman camp, was finally revealed and it was so different to its Greek counterpart but it was still just as brilliant. It was clear where the differences in the two sets of demigods lie. The Romans were organised and structured, which was reflected in its camp, whereas the Greeks were a lot more free and wild. I loved this because it gave us much more information on how the Romans acted and lived.

Overall this book gave so much more information than the first book and I felt the connection with the characters a lot more, I don't know if this is because we got to read from Percy's perspective again and are familiar with it a lot more than the new perspectives we had in The Lost Hero. Not to mention it was still as action-packed and fast-paced and immediately gripping as any Rick Riordan Book so it gave you a lot more freedom to enjoy it.

Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune
Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (Hardcover - 4 Oct. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01