5.0 out of 5 stars The Ugly Review
A review by Toby Head

This book is about kid in sixth grade called Greg Heffley who has a best friend called Rowley Jefferson .This Diary of a Wimpy Kid book is easy to get stuck into, you will need to get and read the other books before this one though.

Published on 12 May 2011 by Nick Benson

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother on kindle
Just purchased a copy on kindle and the pages are scanned resulting in not being able to change the font size. You do get the option to zoom but anything bigger than 150%results in the text being squashed up and unreadable. We wish we had ordered the paper copy (which was cheaper anyway). We won't make the same mistake again :-(
Published on 27 Jun. 2013 by E. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ugly Review, 12 May 2011
A review by Toby Head

This book includes all the naughty and fun things he gets up to. Greg also talks about his older brother,mum and dad,grandparents,classmates and teachers.Lucky for them this diary is secret as they really wouldn't want to know what Greg really thinks of them.

The book is written in the form of a diary and is divided into days and months,with lots of funny sketches to keep it interesting. There are 217 pages for you to laugh out loud. At the end there are fun quizzes to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 16 May 2011
P. Lomax - See all my reviews
Managed to keep my nine-year-old nephew entertained on a six hour journey to cornwall with this excellent book. Lovely to hear him chuckling in the back - we took it in turns to read and I found myself laughing along too! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - A Book To Share, 10 Nov. 2010
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
I eagerly anticipated this latest book in the Wimpy kid series. Greg is getting older now, and he is beginning to be confronted by the ugly truth about life. He has fallen out with Rowley, who has grown taller and sports his first zit like a badge of manhood. There is an uncle's annual wedding to go to, and in between are all the adventures that any middle school kid would get up to (I think he is about year 8 in UK terms).

These books are hilarious. The text is understated, written like a somewhat egocentric school kid might write, but the text is offset beautifully by the cartoons, and had me laughing out loud as I read the book.

I was lucky, because Amazon delivered this book a little early. I am not sure why, but already I have read it, my daughter has read it and today it went in to school to be shared with the rest of her class. This book is too good to keep to yourself, and an easy enough read that any child or young adult will have no problems getting in to it.

Thoroughly recommended. I would not suggest it as a Christmas present though - if my daughter's class is anything to go by, they will have all read it by December.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5th fantastic book in a brilliant series, 7 Dec. 2010
My 9 year old son absolutely loves this series of books - he is a very good reader but finds books suitable for his ability uninteresting to read. This series of books are full of 'boy humour' - he thinks they are very funny and he rereads them regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars my son loved it!, 13 Dec. 2010
My ten year old son is a reluctant reader but he's loved the whole Wimpy Kid series. I bought book 4 and 5 for his birthday and he finished them both in a couple of weeks and really enjoyed reading them. I haven't read them myself but just seeing him enjoying them is good enough for me. I think he enjoyed the fact that the book wasn't covered in small print but had a few drawings in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinney stays true to Greg, even as he grows up, 7 July 2015
Here's the thing - how do you stay on track and stay true to your creation, even as your books zoom in popularity and your creation becomes a mini-industry. Well, Kinney continues to do that.

But then, can you allow your creation to grow up, and still keep that spark of good-hearted obliviousness that makes your character so popular? (I'm thinking here of how Gary Trudeau tried so hard, but just ran out of steam with "Doonesbury".) Well, so far so good on the Greg Heffley front.

And, because Greg is allowed to grow up, the books haven't become stale or repetitive. The perspective and the issues that matter have changed a bit, and that seems to be keeping everything fresh. So, read on and look forward to the next volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid, 7 Dec. 2010
I bought this for my grandsons birthday, he can't get enough of them. From a child who we really had to push to practice his reading we can't get him to stop since he discovered 'The Diaries'. Perfect for the 8 - 11 age range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Wimpy kid the ugly truth review, 7 Feb. 2012
Greg and his stupid pranks got him into trouble, and now he became the most unpopular kid in his school. In Diary of a Wimpy Kid 5, the book begins with Greg who starts 6th grade and has not yet made up with his best friend Rowley. Greg is worried, because he invested all his time on Rowley and wasn't really talking to other people at school. Now he has to face up to the ugly truth by himself. This book has become so popular with kids today, because they find it funny and they relate to the plot, conflict and theme of the book.
Kids will find the plot hilarious, the pranks that Greg did made me get addicted over the book even more and more until I got addicted to the series. The plot is about Greg and his pranks that made him not get invited to parties, like when he put a whoopee cushion on his friend's grandma's seat. The plot also has to do with Greg not finding a friend to replace his ex-best friend.
I find the conflict of the book annoying, that Greg doesn't have any friends and sits inside and plays video games all day and then he wonders why he doesn't have any friends. I wish Greg understood that video games make us lose out on a big part of our social life.
The theme and the lesson we learn from this book is that the most important thing in our life is friendship. We have to learn to be social so we can care not only about ourselves, but also other people who really need our help. Unfortunately, Greg believes that his best friend has to be perfect, and from the other options that he has for best friends each person has his issues. I wish Greg could understand that NO ONE is perfect, and what really bugs me about Greg is that he thinks that he is perfect in everything. What he really does not understand is that to be social you need to accept people for what they are.
In conclusion, this book is recommended for young kids that have not learned what the word social means; it is also for kids that like to read about pranks. If you are a parent, buy this book for your kid so they can understand why it is important to be social.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious . . . and Spot on in Capturing the "Joys" of Approaching Male Puberty, 21 Dec. 2010
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"So the boys grew. And Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field; but Jacob was a mild man, dwelling in tents." -- Genesis 25:27 (NKJV)

When summer's over, harsh reality returns with the school bell. For Greg Heffley, the school building door might as well be labeled, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." Greg and Rowley (his only "friend" and usually a happy victim) have had a fight, so Greg is on his own, and he laments that ". . . it seems like EVERYONE is having more fun than me these days." Undaunted, he puts on a brave show, but there's a new threat: puberty is starting for some classmates and the adults want to share too much information about it for Greg's taste. On top of that, Greg's mom is going back to school, and the "men" in the house have to take up the load. What's a guy to do?

The jokes, the hilarious situations, the self-deluding day dreams, and new indignities pile up faster than Greg can make a mess out of them.

One of the beauties of this series is that it's written to appeal about equally to the 10-12 aged group and to adults, who will be reminded of events and thoughts they haven't considered in decades . . . but that were once "life and death." I suspect that the older group will like this book even more than the younger set. For the young people, there's an extra reward in being able to laugh about the events with friends.

Will Greg make it through? Read the book, and you'll agree that the journey is more fun than the destination.

I "devoured" this book. I didn't realize that I could become so deeply engaged in a book that I spent so little time with.

For me, this is the best book in the series and promises more good things to come as Greg gets a little older.

I marvel that Jeff Kinney can remember all of these predictable youth crises and capture them in such a fresh and engaging way. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a wimpy kid 5, 12 Nov. 2010
A Kid's Review
This has to be Gregs most eventfull Diary yet. This book made me laugh about 10000 times. Greg must cope with puberty, girls, a new responsibility at home and a night locked in school with girls, boys and the worst...... teachers. Will Greg cope with puberty and will he ever make up with Rowley? Find out out in Diary of a wimpy kid The ugly truth. You must get this brilliant book.

The Ugly Truth (Diary of a Wimpy Kid book 5)
The Ugly Truth (Diary of a Wimpy Kid book 5) by Jeff Kinney (Audio CD - 6 Jan. 2011)