Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 February 2011
Percy Jackson is twelve years old, has been kicked out of every school he's ever gone to, and is seen as quite a troublemaker. With ADHD and dyslexia and a reputation for trouble following him wherever he goes, Percy has learned to not get too attached to any one school, set of friends, or teachers, for that matter.

Yancey Academy has been no different, except for two things. His best friend, Grover, and his Latin teacher, Mr. Brunner, seem to really care about him. While on a school field trip, Percy has quite the bad day. He almost drowns Nancy Bobofit, the school bully; gets attacked by Mrs. Dodds, the math teacher; and then gets told by everyone that there never was a teacher named Mrs. Dodds at Yancey academy.

Confused and mistrusting of the two he had come to call friends, Percy grows distant and ends up getting kicked out of yet another school. After the last day, Percy and Grover get onto the city bus to go home. While there, Percy sees three old ladies cutting a piece of yarn. Grover freaks out and asks Percy to wait for him while he runs into a store. Percy ignores him and heads home.

Through a series of bad choices and a fight with a foul-tempered, monstrous beast, Percy's mom appears to be killed and the two boys end up at Camp Half-Blood. If monsters aren't enough to take in, Percy finds out his father is Poseidon, the god of the sea, and that his uncle, Zeus, is demanding that Percy return the master lightning bolt by Summer Solstice or he'll be destroyed and another World War will begin. His only hopes are Grover and a smart-aleck girl named Annabeth.

Can Percy find the master lighting bot and save everyone's skin, or will the gods start a war bigger than anything anyone has seen before?

A great graphic novel adaptation of the original THE LIGHTNING THIEF book. The illustrations are wonderful. The novel is fairly true to the original book; the plot remains intact and is, therefore, well-written. The characters are true to their natures and are well-developed. Readers who are fans of Rick Riordan, action-adventure, fantasy, graphic novels, and mythology will all enjoy THE LIGHTNING THIEF: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL.

Reviewed by: Kira M
on 26 April 2012
As a massive fan of the Percy Jackson series this is a perfect addition. Its a great read and to help with your imagination of the characters from the books, unfortunately it misses out alot from the original books such as Medusa etc. which is upsetting because there are some great scenes, but the animation is awesome which does help.

I would recommend to any Percy Jackson fan!!
on 13 October 2013
When I saw this listed on the Book Depository, I just knew I had to buy it. It had to happen. I love the Percy Jackson series so much, so I honestly didn't care that it would be the exact same story. The illustrations would make it a whole new and wonderful experience. In a way, I was correct, but still this could have been better.

In terms of the adaptation, this graphic novel is extremely close to the original, so no worries there. If anything, it begs the question why the movie couldn't be a closer adaptation, but I think we've all established what a disappointment the movie was.

For the most part I liked the artwork, though I found it extremely odd that they still claimed that Percy was 12 years old, in 6th grade, and he honestly looks at least 18 if not older. So that's a bit of a clash there: they tried to give it a more mature comic book look, but if the characters are so young, that doesn't really work. Making them look intentionally younger, however, would maybe give it a more manga, chibi-esque look that would also exclude a lot of the potential audience. So... I understand the difficulty of the decision, but I do wonder if there wasn't some happy compromise to be found in the middle.

While I was impressed with the world building details that they still managed to include in the graphic novel, I was disappointed overall by the length and pacing of the story. I mean, this graphic novel is 128 pages. That's so freaking short. A lot of the scenes, especially battles, were shortened to one to two pages. The Lotus Hotel & Casino scene? Two or three pages. That's just sad. It was all very rushed, and I wonder why it couldn't have been expanded. Also so much of the sarcastic humor that I love about Percy was cut out. More sadness.

Summing Up...

This was a fun quick way to experience the first of the Percy Jackson series in a new format. I enjoyed it, for sure, though the artwork could maybe have been a bit better and overall it was just far too short. However, as a die hard Percy fan, I don't regret this purchase, and I'll probably pick up the next graphic novels as well. Just to have more Percy in my life. But I wouldn't recommend this as a substitute for the actual Percy Jackson books.

Recommended To...

Die hard Percy Jackson fans.
on 28 May 2013
I have to give this 5 stars as I'm a BIG fan of Rick Riordan and this isn't a bad graphic novel, in fact it's great but it's not awesome. There are particular scenes missing like the encounter with Medusa and well Hades just isn't portrayed anything like the book says..the extract I remember Percy saying is: I'd met a few gods, but Hades looked like a god....and this just isn't the case with the graphic novel and nor does his kingdom..also where's the seen with Cerberus!? Maybe it's just me..I'm a great fan of Nico and Hades in particular, but this is a great graphic novel for all fans and readers alike!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 April 2014
This is an excellent action/adventure story, with very good artwork, which, while being a bit more ’European’ in style of than is usual nowadays for children’s books, is an excellent choice for such a high-profile book, as it deserves to be illustrated in a grander style.

I have read the original novel (and seen the film), and this is in its own right an excellent adaptation of the novel, with a clear flow of the story from scene to scene, as Percy and friends set out on their quest. They encounter a number of characters and situations from the Greek myths as they progress, though not all the scenes from the novel – but this is a faithful adaptation nevertheless, as all the major (and several minor) scenes are included. I enjoyed it as a stand-alone story, but it does fit in with the tone of the novels.
on 25 August 2014
What was there was good and the illustrations were good but so much action was missed out like medusa, the waterbed, the casino was really short and lots of the funniest dialogue was cut.
Overall it is a good summary and not as disappointing as the film but it could have been more detailed.
on 19 December 2013
Would definitely recommend this book along with all the others in this set. My grand daughter who is 11 loves them.
on 25 January 2015
as advertised was a gift for someone so can't say if its a good read
on 19 July 2015