5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of A Trillian Books
Cassia lives in a future world where everything is controlled by Society. People where different colour uniforms depending on their status, meals - all nutritionally tailored for the individual - are supplied. Even death is controlled.

The story starts with Cassia about to attend the ceremony where she gets to find out who she is to be Matched with,.ie. who...
Published on 2 Dec 2010 by Tasha

3.0 out of 5 stars Think Logan's run mixed with Equilibrium
The concept is good. The world which is created is really interesting and raises a lot of questions. However the book is really slow and nothing much happens for most of it. Once you get about the way through it picks up and leaves you wanting more. If you'd asked me half way through i didn't really care what was happening to the characters however once the officials...
Published on 27 April 2011 by Travis

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea., 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: Matched (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the idea of this book, that people are 'matched' to their perfect partner but this time something goes wrong.

Cassia gets 'matched' to her best friend Xander which is strange as most people are matched to someone they have never met before, she is then given a data card with details about Xander which Cassia doesn't view right away as she feels she already knows everything there is to know about Xander, eventually she views the card but she briefly sees another boy flash up and she knows him too, Ky.

This begins a difficult time for Cassia where she wonders who is it she is supposed to be with, the society doesn't make mistakes like this so is it Xander or Ky she should be with?
I had reasons for wanting him to be with both so for me it was difficult to chose who I wanted to see her with in the end.

At first Cassia (the main character) annoyed me but then she grew on me because you soon realise that her opinions are only what shes been taught to believe by the 'society' she lives in.

Some dystopian themed books are difficult to believe but I found this one to be believable that some day there could be someone who decides who we should marry, what job we should have and how many kids. So for me this book was really well written that I could actually relate to it, I could also relate to the characters and what they were feeling as the author really gives you an insight into each character.

The ending of this book was a bit disappointing (reason for only 4 stars) but as it is only the first book in a trilogy I'm hoping that it gets better.
A good dystopian themed book and I can't wait to read the next.

If you liked this book I suggest you try Delirium by Lauren Oliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Matched", by Ally Condie, 24 May 2012
Laura "@ Scattered Figments" (NEATH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
If it is possible to be both a self-confessed pessimist and a hopeless romantic then that's me. This is perhaps why Matched appealed to me so very much.

Matched is a young adult dystopian romance which brings many Orwellian questions home to a younger audience.

These days the idea of Big Brother brings to mind a voyeuristic television show where exhibitionists parade around a glaringly bright house, making fools of themselves in hopes of making a quick buck.

Thankfully, Condie reminds us what Orwell and Huxley were trying to say with their original dystopian masterpieces. She takes familiar ideas of society being controlled by government indoctrination and propaganda, and manages to rejuvenate them. The pessimist in me thoroughly enjoyed hating the society in which Cassia, the heroine, lives. It is a society which controls where people work, when they die, how many children they have and even who they love.

Of course, anyone who has ever had a crush on completely the wrong person, (and surely that's everyone?) knows that love and lust cannot be weighed and measured. It cannot be controlled.

Matched provides an interesting love triangle between the three main characters. Cassia and Xander are matched and you are glad that they are! Xander seems like a great guy: a sensible choice. But what teenage girl, what woman, chooses "sensible" when shown the option of "mysterious" and "exciting"? Ky provides both and is the proverbial spanner in the works.

As a reader I was drawn into this triangle and really felt for Cassia. Because hers is a tough choice! I found myself rooting for both the male leads, especially at first.

The underlying conflict of the seemingly "ideal" society of Matched, works to beautifully highlight the conflict raging in Cassia's own heart.

We live in a world where we are pretty much always on somebody's CCTV, where advertisements corner us from every form of media, and where Internet dating sites tell us that they can "match" us to a perfect partner based on deep aspects of our personalities. Matched is a poignant and intelligent book which will leave you both asking questions and positively drooling for the sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars More dystopian YA, 23 Dec 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
Part of the problem when coming to Matched was one of my own making and individual to me - I'd been reading a lot of YA and a lot of dystopian YA at that, so Matched didn't feel so much unique as retreading familiar ground. Girl growing up in a controlling society, who begins to doubt the rules and starts to flout them, with ominous consequences. We've seen this a lot now, since the Hunger Games presented the idea originally.

Matched does succeed in its worldbuilding, where other dystopian futures can feel very contrived (I'm thinking about the Factions in Divergent). Here we have a society which is so controlling that it is determined to 'match' citizens i.e. use their genes, personalities, and a number of other factors to present them with the perfect person they should marry. We join Cassia as she discovers that her perfect match is, most unusually, her childhood friend Xander. However, when she examines the information she is given on Xander (to see if it matches what she thinks of him) she sees another face - that of the boy Ky, who came late into the society.

I found the love triangle very difficult, in all honesty, because Ky is presented (at least to me) as being so much more attractive and yearned after than Xander. Despite her fondness for Xander, I never actually believe that she would want to be with him. Ky was the only obvious choice. At that point a love triangle is distinctly redundant.

The other aspect of Matched that I wasn't sure about was the slow, dreamy pacing. There was not much get up and go about the novel. I liked the way we drifted from situation to situation without the frenetic pacing of some of the other YA dystopian novels on the market, but it went almost too far the other way.

I find myself unconvinced by Matched, but I will certainly try Crossed to see whether the trilogy improves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from The Word Fiend, 27 Sep 2011
Shelagh (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
There's something about the struggle for identity that most teenagers experience that makes the YA genre especially suited to dystopian tales. And Matched is another great example of how well the partnership between YA and dystopian fiction works.

The cover for Matched suits the story and manages to convey a world of meaning in a seemingly simple image. Cassia is shown in her green dress from her Match Banquet, the night her ordered world begins to unravel. The model pressing against the walls of the bubble that encloses her is symbolic of Cassia pressing against the rules of a Society she has always accepted without question. The bubble is a very effective visual metaphor for the contained and controlled lives that the Society values.

Dystopian worlds seem to have at least one thing in common - those who rule exert careful control over every aspect of the society they govern. But how each author chooses to describe this control is what allows for the great variation in dystopian tales. I really like the world that Ally Condie has created in Matched - I was swept up by Cassia's story and the world she lives in.

Ally Condie has created an interesting and absorbing view of the future. In this Society every aspect of an individual's life is carefully controlled - from how much and what they eat to who they will marry and when they will die. The level of control exerted by the Society in Matched was brought home for me by the fact that only one hundred each of songs, paintings, books and poems have been approved for people to hear, see and read. I tried to imagine having to choose and never being able to see those that had not been accepted.

Matched is well paced and engaging and Ally Condie's writing allowed me to become immersed in the story - which is something I love! As the plot progressed I could see the cracks beginning to form in the Society's perfect veneer. This only added to my questions and made me want to read more - what was really going on and what is the Society hiding from so many people?

Cassia is a well written, complex character and I immediately liked her. Matched is told from her point-of-view and I enjoyed seeing her character progression through her own eyes. I also fell in love with Ky right along with her! Ky is a mystery. He blends seamlessly into the Society, but there is more going on under the surface. As he tells Cassia his story through words and images he opens up and shows more of himself. Ally Condie has created real and complex characters who take active roles in the story and I loved them.

Matched is an intriguing dystopian tale that will win Ally Condie many fans and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic new world., 8 Sep 2011
N. J. H. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
Set in a world governed by rules where "Officials" decide how many children we have, when we die, what we eat, how much we eat, who we can fall in love with and so much more. I was gripped and full of suspence from the very beginning, the questions I had about this new world just kept coming and I often was surprised by the answers.

Cassia is trapped in this society, it is the day she will be matched to her most genetically viable partner. Cassia meets the man who society dictates is absolutely right for her, except he isn't. Cassia is faced with a dilemma, she cannot break the rules of the society without incriminating herself and her family but when Cassia starts to fall in love with another boy she may have no choice to start making some decisions on her own.

I loved this book, every aspect of it. I had a million questions like, "Why do they carry around a red, blue and green pill?", "What do these pills do?". "Why can't anyone remember what the red pill does?", "Is her match really who she is supposed to be with?", and so on. Just brilliant, give this a read, you won't be disappointed. This is not just a typical young adult love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Matched" by Ally Condie, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable - I was hooked in parts, bored in others..., 27 April 2011
Alexandra Crossley (Leicestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
I often struggle getting into a book, however this book was fairly easy, and I found myself hooked from the start. Although being hooked, I did get to a few points where I began to get bored as the story line remained the same for a lot of it, developing the characters more than perhaps necessary. Normally it takes me a good few days to read a book of this size, however I managed to read this in just under two days (although my mum didn't like this as it meant my revision got put on hold!).

The characters are easy to connect with, even though we don't live in the same 'world' we have momemnts where our lives can be very similar, love triangles...liking the bad boy when our parents would rather us be with the good boy...but I feel that too much of the book was used to develop their personalities and I would have rathered more events happening.

I'm wary as to whether I should get the next book as I would love to hear more about Cassia, however, if it is as slow as Matched then I think maybe I shouldn't bother. Also I think I should stop reading fiction books while I revise, as I have exams coming up!

I'm 18 but I tend to read books for younger audiences so I would probably recomend this book to young teens, maybe 15ish, but it's your choise really as I don't think there are any age limits on books like these, and you know what types of books you like to read :D (I don't help much do I!!)

What I didn't know before purchase of the book was that it is the first in a few books (three I think), and so the story doesn't finish and is pretty much the same thing the whole way, as there isn't all that many things that happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matched, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of dystopian fiction but when I thought back to which books I'd actually read, not many sprang to mind, except for the fabulous 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood and more recently 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. I don't think I'll have any problem remembering 'Matched' however. I absolutely loved it and it's a perfect example of dystopian fiction which lives and breathes in your hands and your head. I know it's only March but I have a feeling that this is already going to be competing for my book of the year.

What I enjoy most about this genre is reading about the imagined world as it may become in the future. Yes, obviously we can't see into the future but who's to say that these things won't actually happen. We have no idea what awaits humanity. It's both chilling and frightening and intriguing all at the same time. Cassia lives in a perfect society governed by officials who make all the rules and decisions for people - who they marry, how many children they have, when they will die, where they will live, what job they have and so it goes on. People are given pre-packed meals catering to their individual dietary requirements and there has been a cull of art, poetry and books with only a hundred items of each selected to remain in popular culture. The latter is horrifying! I'm someone who loves culture and being surrounded by literature and theatre and art. I can't imagine only being able to read a prescribed 100 poems and not having the ability to write and create.

All choice and free will has been eradicated in cultivation of what the officials call an equal society. Cassia believes in the virtues preached to ber by the officials and the story begins as she is about to attend the ceremony that will 'match' her with her future husband. All goes well until a mistake is made and Cassia's whole life is turned upside down. Her future is no longer clear cut. Cassia is a strong central character who begins to question the rules and regulations which are imposed upon society. She finally starts to see things clearly for the first time in her life and fights back against the bonds which are imposed upon her.

The love triangle between Cassia, her best friend Xander and neighbour Ky is dealt with sensitively and thoughtfully. When Cassia does finally make her choice, I liked the fact that it wasn't necessarily a choice which would isolate her from one or the other. She loves both boys but in different ways and it was nice to see those feelings explored. She has known Xander all her life and they've grown up together so the potential is there for them to have a long and happy life with each other but there's also Ky with whom she feels the first blossomings of a love that's new and exciting and real. He teaches her about things she has no knowledge of and they learn and grow together.

Hope is a significant theme in the book. The idea that there's always something to hope for and that however much you may have to struggle and however futile things may seem at times, hope always remains. That meant that the book ended on what I thought was quite an uplifting, rather than bleak, note.

Ally Condie's prose is exquisite. I savoured every single word. I felt like I was living Cassia's story with her and experiencing the same emotions and feelings. I'm hugely impressed by this sensational debut and thrilled that Condie is planning a whole trilogy. There's so much more to come and I'm excited to see where the story is going to go next. The film rights have also been sold to Disney so there's a big screen outing for 'Matched' sometime in the future too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start of a series, 28 Mar 2011
Paula Mc (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
'Matched' is the story of Cassia Reyes, a 17 year old girl who lives in a unknown dystopian society where everything is decided by The Officials, where you live, where you work, who you will marry and when you will die, which has been accepted by society because they have never experienced anything else, everything is as it should be. 'Matched' begins with the Matching ceremony, an occasion that Cassia and her lifelong friend, Xander Carrow and other 17 year old teenagers have been looking forward to, the matching ceremony will decide who you should be matched to and be married to by the age of 21, there is an system to the matching, the matches are in alphabetical order according to the girl's surnames, as the girl watches the screen in the banqueting hall, a boy appears, they have found their match.

Cassia's match turns out to be a shock to Cassia and her family because it has never occurred before, Cassie has been matched to her best friend, Xander, which Xander and Cassia are happy about and look forward to their future together but as Cassia soon finds out, her life cannot be mapped out so easily, when she finds herself falling in love with Ky Markham, a quiet boy from her neighbourhood, he is more aware of the world around him that Cassia realises and the more time Cassia spends with Ky, the more she learns that she does not live in such a perfect society.

What I thought of 'Matched' ~

I am a big fan of the dystopia genre and 'Matched' for me definitely covers what I like to see in a dystopia novel, there are strong characters, Cassia is a wonderfully written character, I love how you saw her change as the book progressed, it shows the changes a teenager goes through with the additional bonus of Cassia living in a so called perfect society. Ky, the boy Cassia falls in love with, is a great character, very unassuming but a major influence on Cassia, Xander, the boy who Cassia is matched is a surprising character, well for me, he was, excellent to read.

A well written, interesting book to start a series with, I have high hopes for the next two books in the trilogy, the second book 'Crossed' is due for release on the 1st November this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matched by Ally Condie, 2 Mar 2011
This review is from: Matched (Paperback)
1 of the best books ever! Brilliant for young adults. Brilliantly written, so hard to put down even after the first page. 10/10. Definitely recommend :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa7b2133c)

Matched
Matched by Ally Condie (Paperback - 2 Jun 2011)
4.99