5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant foray into YA.
Product Description (From back of book)

Published on 11 Jun 2011 by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a children's book!
Published on 16 Feb 2011 by Mr. A. I. Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a children's book!, 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: Gladiator: Fight for Freedom (Hardcover)
I don't know wether to be annoyed with myself or Amazon but I managed to miss that this was a children's story. Once it was delivered there were clues. It was a puffin publication, the gladiator on the front cover has more than a whiff of Harry Potter about him and the print is widely spaced enough to navigate a tractor around! The book was also dedicated to legendry children's author Rosemary Sutcliffe.

Still I didn't panic, some of the best books ever written were targeted at children, 'Northern lights' and 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe' to name two. This wasn't quite in their class however!

Don't get me wrong, if I had been 11 years old I would probably be giving this 5 stars, or more likely I'd be out playing football or riding my bike. However for the long toothed consumer of sword play novels like me this lacked originality, grit and adrenalin. For the first third of the book I was very tempted to put it down. The characters were 2D enough to squeeze through grating, the dialogue was flat and story totally predictable.

However things did pick up when young Marcus arrived at Gladiator school! with a few more characters and a suitably evil villain. The other thing is it can be read very quickly!

Anyway the last third was much more like the standard we expect of Mr Scarrow and will have young readers glued to their Kindle's I'm sure, with a couple of nice twists in the plot and an exiting climax.

Would I give it as a gift for an 11 year old nephew? Yes.

Would I recommend it to a like minded adult reader? No.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant foray into YA., 11 Jun 2011
Parm (A bookshop near you) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gladiator: Fight for Freedom (Hardcover)
Product Description (From back of book)

Rome, 61 BC RECRUITED as a gladiator, young Marcus Cornelius Primus faces a new life of brutal training, governed by strict rules, as he learns the skills of an elite warrior. But Marcus cannot simply forget his past. His father lies murdered by soldiers and his mother has been kidnapped and forced into slavery. Marcus is determined to find his father's old commander, Pompeius the Great, to seek justice for his family and set his mother free. Yet, unbeknown to him, Marcus is hiding a life-threatening secret. And if the Romans discover it, there will be no escape . .

Review

Gladiator : Fight for Freedom

One major advantage for me when picking up this new Simon Scarrow book was that I knew I would enjoy it, it would be the degree of enjoyment that was in question.

Recently I have called into question a couple of plot lines in Simons Eagle Series (sorry Simon), and to be fair the latest book Legion answered those questions in spades.

So how would his foray into the world of young adult books fair, would it follow in the footsteps of its older brother The Eagles and become a deserved Bestseller? Would it be fresh and new?

The answer is quite simply yes, in fact at times its hard to spot its a young adult book, this story does not deride the audience, it does not talk down, it does not preach as some young adult books do.

This Book moves long with great pace great action and great depth, there are very few punches pulled in the drama that is life and this book echos that, you could be forgiven for thinking that Macro and Cato would pop up at any moment (if they had been born yet), Readers of this series could easily move on to the eagle series and vice versa.

Marcus as our main star and character is well written, well rounded, and comes to life on the page, and thanks to the cover you have a visual image of him to carry through the book with you.

Adding a personal enemy in the Ludus was a moment of genius for me as it gives our main star someone to bounce his character/ personality and growth off and reminded me a little of Gladiatrix by Russ Whitfield.

The plot line (which I shall not give away) brings in famous characters from that roman period, and gives you a taste of where this very very promising series is going to go, and the trials that await our young gladiator.

This book is a total triumph, and reminds me of the freshness of the Eagle series at the beginning.

It seems that both the Brothers Scarrow have a talent for the young adult market, with the success of the excellent Timeriders series, and this detined to be a surefire hit, Puffin really do know their stuff.
(Parm)

3.0 out of 5 stars good story - poor presentation, 1 Oct 2013
A very short book, with extra large letters to make the book seem longer than it actually is. The story was good but the book could have been condensed into about 150 pages using normal script. I shall not be buying any more books by Scarrow!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 27 Aug 2013
not what i exspected not a very long book and it seems ore for kids i may have misread but not like his other books

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit predictable, 29 May 2013
Short story - easy to read on holiday - but it did fel as if it was only one third or a quarter of a book - I've read much better and more involved books by Simon Scarrow.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 6 April 2013
book far to short could have read more, i wondered if i had downloaded the whole thing, still will try again

3.0 out of 5 stars TOO SHORT, 27 Mar 2013
Daniel E. Foote "Gadget man" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
Great fan of Simon Scarrow but I do like a full story and not a novelette like this. It is a good story that won't disappoint other than the feeling that it was not finished.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hogwarts meets Spartacus, 19 Nov 2012
Drat.

I bought this as Im quite a Simon Scarrow fan, and loved his other work. Great! a whole new series of Roman tales. However, somehow I didnt realise that this was a book for teenagers from the on line description of the book.

When you see it you can tell instantly. On the back it states suitable for 11 years+, the text is at least double spaced, and the writing style is very accessible indeed. The heroes and heroines in this text seem to be teenagers.

I wish Id had this sort of book to read when I was a teenager, but dont get it if you think its adult reading.

I did read the book having bought it, and its an OK read for an adult. It took me less than a day. Hogwarts meets Spartacus indeed!

3 stars for adult reading, 4 star if you are buying this for a teenager.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story V,s Value, 19 Oct 2012
Gladiator has the potential to be another epic series like the Cato (Eagle) series. Having read all of Simon Scarrow,s books I was disappointed to find that both Gladiator books have been published in double line spacing. Because of this 350 pages becomes equivalent to approx. 150 pages not in my view value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars gladiator s scarrow, 28 Jan 2012
this was a good read just what you expect from simon scarrow cant wait for next book and i hope story is as good as ever

Gladiator: Fight for Freedom
Gladiator: Fight for Freedom by Simon Scarrow (Hardcover - 3 Feb 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01