Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 April 2007
This story is called The Sheep-Pig by dick king-smith. The main characters are: Babe the pig, Fly the sheep dog, Mr hogget the farmer, Mrs Hogget and Ma the old sick sheep.

It is set on farmer Hogget's farm. His farm is big with fields and in one of the fields is a flock of sheep.

The sheep- pig is about a kind man called Mr hogget who took babe the orphaned pig back to his house from the funfair. When Babe came home with the farmer, Fly the sheep dog looked after him as her child. Soon babe wanted to be like his foster mother. In the mean time, ma the old sick sheep helped babe to be friendly with the sheep flock. Farmer hogget thought babe could be talented as a sheep- pig.

My favriout part is the end but I can't tell you you'll have to find out. I would recommend this book to someone because it has funny parts and funny sentences that really made me laugh. I felt happy at the end and I liked it very much.

by Emma
HALL OF FAMEon 24 June 2002
I bought this for my six year old after he adored Dragon Boy. We loved the film., Babe, but the orginal brings out more of the pathos and comedy of the little pig, and the importance of good manners when trying to get people to do what you want! All the details of a small farmer's life beautifully rendered, without the surreal qualities the film emphasised. Also recommend Lady Lollipop for the same age group. This man has done for pigs what PG Wodehouse did for Earls...
on 6 July 2001
Babe proves himself a pig worth keeping by mastering the skill of herding sheep. Unlike ordinary sheep-dogs however - who habitually use terror tactics to get the sheep to do their bidding - Babe endears himself to his charges by listening to their feelings and treating them kindly. This is a lovely story that also provides a springboard for discussion with your child on the merits of treating others with respect.
on 5 July 2001
Babe proves herself a pig worth keeping by learning the skill of herding sheep. Unlike ordinary sheep-dogs however, who habitually use terror tactics to get the sheep to do their bidding, Babe endears herself to her charges by listening to their feelings and treating them kindly. This is a lovely story which also provides a springboard for discussion with your child on the merits of treating others with respect.
on 23 November 2000
As soon as i heard the story of Babe i was enchanted! I could go all deep like some of the people on here and say that it is a master literary piece about overcoming the racial prejudices but its not about that is it! Babe is a childrens story that manages to catch the imagination of all who hear it, just like some of the fabulous fairy tales that we all love to hear. Young children love to follow the story as Babe trys to become a sheep - pig and follow in the footsteps of his adopted mother, Fly! I love this story and i always will!!!
on 24 May 2011
we purchasedthis book for our 6 year old daughter for school reading project, we have also enjoyed the story at bedtime her little brother also sat quietly for a change to listen to this enchanting tale.
on 17 February 2000
A pig called Babe, is won by Farmer Hogget who looks after Babe. Babe becomes interested in sheep and becomes the first sheep pig. He enters the most important thing of the year, the trials. At the end, you'll have to find out yourself.
on 3 October 2011
I have read the Sheep-pig as a school reading project. The main characters are: Babe the pig, Fly the sheep dog, Mr Hogget the farmer, Mrs Hogget and Ma the old sick sheep. As soon as I started to read about the story of Babe I wanted to read more.
It is set on Farmer Hogget's farm. His farm is big with fields and in one of the fields is a flock of sheep. The sheep-pig is about a kind man called Mr Hogget who took babe the orphaned pig back to his house from the funfair. When Babe came home with the farmer, Fly the sheep dog looked after him as her child. Soon babe wanted to be like his foster mother. In the mean time, ma the old sick sheep helped babe to be friendly with the sheep flock. Farmer Hogget thought babe could be as talented as a sheep-dog. He goes on to score 100/100 at the sheep-dog trials and becomes a very famous pig.
Babe is a children's story that will catch the imagination of all who read it. I loved this story and it is now one of my favorite books, as it was hilarious and funny to read.
James Aged 9 Henry Moore Primary School
on 29 September 2012
A charming story about a pig which the farmer wins at a fair and turns out to be very intelligent and acts at sheep trial as a sheep dog.
on 2 June 2005
I loved this book 20 years ago and I love it now.
I bought this copy as a treat for myself after seeing "Babe" on television on Christmas Eve and it is every bit as good as I remember it .
Wonderful, just like all the best fairy stories