Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2009
Having loaned out all the previous books in this series to various members of my daughter's class (and the class above), this book arrived this week. I sneakily read it quickly before my daughter got hold of it - which was a good thing too because she raced through it in about 24 hours and took it to school today to lend out!

Once again Greg writes a wonderful journal of his life. Understated text set off by hilarious cartoons that had me laughing out loud as I read it. Few books get me actually laughing out loud, but that has been an experience for every one of this series (if you find this book first, the series begins with the red cover "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". Its useful to start at the beginning as some of the jokes refer back to events in previous books).

Greg is on summer break in this book, and the story of that break makes a wonderful self contained book that has a funny and very appropriate ending.

I highly recommend this book - and as its an easy read its a good series for less confident readers, but don't keep it from the confident readers too! Its too good not to share. Parents of my daughters friends (especially the ones who are boys) tell me they are having the funny bits read out to them over and over again! So this is perfect for ages about 8 and upwards (no upper age limits in my opinion!)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 January 2010
Greg Heffley wants to spend his summer indoors, relaxing, playing video games with his friend, Rowley, and watching late-night horror films. His mom has other ideas, however. She wants him to spend time with the family, improving his education, and playing outdoors.

Greg tries to implement his ideas of summer, but without much success. He tries to spend time with Rowley kicking back at his friend's father's country club, but gets permanently uninvited when he accidentally tells the clubhouse manager his complaints about the place's service. Things only get worse when his mom tells him he has to find a way to pay off half of the smoothie bill he and Rowley racked up.

When Greg's father comes home with a dog that won't leave him alone, he's soon at his wits end. With failed attempts to earn money, a falling out with his best friend, and a crazy dog, will Greg ever survive summer? Will he find some way to make this into a great summer, despite the rocky start?

This fourth installment is an excellent addition to the other three stories. Greg's true character really comes out in this novel as he discovers who he is, learns to balance everything that's going on, and takes an easy-going approach to life. The illustrations are well-done and only add to the book's humor.

Avid and reluctant readers alike who have loved the other DIARY OF A WIMPY KID books, who like humorous stories, or who prefer reading realistic fiction will all enjoy this one.

Reviewed by: Kira M
on 28 May 2011
I am 10 years old and i love this extremely addictive book i have all of the books they are all fantastic,I weren't really interested in reading until i discovered these amazing books.
I read them over and over again and i never get bored,I would recommend this book to anyone 6-12 years old.
If your thinking of buying it go for it its worth it.
on 4 October 2013
This book is about a boy named Greg who has just finished the school year and the summer holidays have begun. There is a lot about the summer and wild adventures that he has in the. Greg spends a lot of time, either with his new Dog named Sweety or at an amusement park with his friend Rowley.

I enjoyed the book because it was interesting and very child friendly so I could understand and enjoy it.

The book was funny because at one part Greg was very thankful that there wasn't a muddy hand when they were having a sleep over, watching a film called `The Muddy Hand'. Greg and Rowley got frightened that the muddy hand was coming because they heard a noise. They ran down to the basement to hide and half the time one of them was asleep and the other half of the time one of them was keeping lookout. Unfortunately when Rowley was keeping lookout he fell asleep after 5 minutes so Greg had to keep look out the whole time!

I would recommend this book to all kids - boys and girls below the age of 16. I would rate this book 5/5 because at some points it was funny, sad, cool, awesome, scary but most of all it's a very comical book
on 29 May 2012
This book is one of a series about a boy called Greg Heffley. All the books in the series are written from Greg's point of view.
In this diary he wants to spend his summer inside, but his mother wants to spend time together as a family. This leads to loads of hilarious situations.
I have lots good reasons to like this book, but one of my favourite bits is when Greg and his best friend Rowley have to pay off a bill of $2,500 and start their own business up doing odd jobs. I also like the part when Greg gets a dog called Sweetie who won't leave him alone and really annoys him by barking even when they are having dinner.
Greg is in middle school and the book is set in America. There are lot of funny parts which had me laughing out loud. I especially love the illustrations because they set the scene and are cartoons which are funny to look at.
I recommend this book to 8 years and above. I have read this book four times and never tire of it!
on 12 November 2015
I read this entire book on the sidelines of my eleven year old son's football game on a freezing October day in Wisconsin. I laughed so hard at parts that I think I disturbed some of the more intense observers of said game. That's ok. Middle school football is boring.

My favorite scenes from the book:

1. The idea that the wimpy kid and his dad are united in their hatred of a comic strip,
2. The email the wimpy kid sends his mom when he's on vacation with another family,
3. The one time he uses his emergency cell phone,
4. The hilariously weird "reading is fun" club his mom tries to start,

and

5. How much the wimpy kid hates the public pool's locker room.

If Calvin (you know, of Calvin and Hobbes) got a little older he'd probably sound like the wimpy kid. I can see why so many kids I know love him.
on 16 September 2013
Diary of a Whimpy kid

(Shanaice age 9)

This book is an adventurous story written by Jeff Kinney.
Have you ever wanted to write a diary entry? This book is about a kid who doesn't get his way. The story takes place in his house then the school. The main characters are, Greg, mum, dad, Roger, Manny, Rowley and Fregley. My favourite character in this story is Greg because he is very amusing when telling us about his day.

I really like this book because it was funny and made me laugh. This book reminds me of when I'm at school because a lot of things that happen are similar.

This book is an amusing story that children would want to read over and over.
on 24 May 2011
It is an International best seller, over 25 million copies were sold. This book is for all ages and is hilarious and silly.

About a boy who has a very different way to spend his summer a.k.a. spending his time sitting inside playing video games with the curtains closed and a cover over his head. But his mom wants the family to be brought together, Plus a new member of the Hefley family.

I would recommend this book, in my opinion all the series of diary of a wimpy kid but this one was one of the best for me and maybe for all you readers as well, you may want to see the film if you have read the first book.

Thank you for reading my review. By Jay, Primary 7.
on 10 April 2014
I chose this rating (five stars) because I think this book is hilarious, for all the family and a great collective idea with lots of books to read as the same charters but, with different stories in them. It would be easier is you started with the first book but you can start with a random one if so. It costs a bit but I think it is totally worth it!! I love how it is funny and at one point I was rolling on the floor laughing!! There is not anything that I dislike.. I don't think... naw... I would recommend this to everyone because Jeff Kinney is amazing at writing books and all of his books are brilliant!! Comment written by Niamh Gallagher. Xx
on 2 January 2011
I loved this book. It is sooooooo funny and sooooooo easy to read. I read it in 1 or 2 days. This is the 4th book in diary of a wimpy kid series. I have read them all up to this point and this was my favorite!

In this book Greg (the main character or writer of the diary) is on holiday. His mum is desperate to have a proper family holiday which involves going to the local pool and stuff like that. However Greg has a diffrent idea of how he wants to spend his holiday.

I am 11 but I would recommend this book to anyone who can read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this review helped, thanks for reading.