Format: PaperbackChange

on 14 December 2010
So after reading the first five books in this series is quite a short period of time, I was extremely eager to get my hands on the final book, Last Sacrifice. I couldn't wait to see where Richelle Mead was going to take the story and how she would end a bestselling series.

In each book of this series, Rose grows a lot and Last Sacrifice is no exception. Being accused of murder is a big deal to Rose and she knows that getting out of the situation is near impossible. Although she doesn't actually spend too much time in her cell, it does give her a lot of time to think about her life and what she has been through so far, as well as the people around her who she loves. Also, her time spent away from the Academy while she is on the run gives Rose a lot of time to deal with her feelings for both Dimitri and Adrian although I can't say that I was completely happy with the outcome of this part of the story. I understand why Mead wrote it this way but I have to say that I was more on one team than the other and I didn't really agree with how one character was portrayed in the end.

I was really glad to see that even though Rose and Dimitri were on the run, all of the other characters that I had grown to love were included in the story just as much. Rose's bond with Lissa makes it possible for us to know what is happening back at Court and how Lissa's tests to become queen are going. Rose's friends are also trying to help clear her name for the murder of Queen Tatiana. There is a lot of mystery and action when it comes to this part of the story as no one is really sure who actually murdered the queen. One character I did find myself missing a little bit was Adrian. He has always been one of my favourites and even though he is there in the background, it just wasn't enough for me. I wanted him to feature a lot more but unfortunately, this wasn't to be.

There are some great new characters in Last Sacrifice although some of the more interesting ones weren't around for too long. Rose, Dimitri and Sydney meet a group of Moroi, Dhampir's and humans that all live together outside of society. I found it really interesting to see how differently they lived from other vampires, especially those at the Academy and those from the royal families. I guess you could compare this to Twilight and how the Cullen's differ from all of the other non `vegetarian' vampires out there. That was a part of Twilight that I loved so it was only right that it was a part of Vampire Academy that I loved as well.

One of the best things about this whole series, apart from the amazing love story, is the friendship between Rose and Lissa. No matter what happens, these two girls stick by each other. Vampire Academy is a fantastic tale of a friendship that will withstand anything and I think this is a really important aspect of it all. As much as I like my YA books filled with romance, it is also really nice to see that a girl wont instantly drop her friends once she falls in love. I think that with this, Mead shows a good message for all readers.

As with the other books in this series, Last Sacrifice is action packed and I always felt like something totally unexpected could happen next. The story is intense for both plot and romance and although I really liked most of it, it still wasn't my favourite book in the series. I was glad that so many questions were answered and nothing was really left unfinished. There is going to be a spin off series that focuses on some of the secondary characters and I know I will be buying the first book as soon as it is released. Vampire Academy is a fantastic series and I am only sad that it took me so long to get around to reading it.
22 comments18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2011
I'm 23 years old and a bit of a fantasy book addict. I initially read the Twilight Saga in eight days and never thought I'd find a series of books I loved more. Wow wasn't I wrong. If you are a Twilight fan, like myself, this series will introduce you to a sophisticated, alternative vampire series, which you will most definately love. Although originally put off by the name of the series, Richelle Meads' 'Vampire Academy' books are both enthralling and addictive. The books are original and well thought out and the characters are at an age that both teenagers and adults can relate to. The characters have such brilliant personalities and some hilarious banter between each other, that you can't help but love them. So if you are unsure whether this book may be too 'teen-like' for you - give it a go and I guarantee you will devour the series in a flash.
VINE VOICEon 7 December 2010
This is the last book in the Vampire Academy series. Although this review will contain NO spoilers from Last Sacrifice by talking about the plot there may be unintentional spoilers from earlier books in the series.

The Vampire Academy series is by far my all-time favourite series. Last Sacrifice is the highly anticipated last book in the series and so when I was offered the chance to read this book early before its release date I jumped at the chance. When it arrived I had the stupidest grin on my face all day long and started it as soon as I could. I read this 584 page book in two sittings, and I have to say that this is now my favourite book in the series, it surpassed my greatest expectations. It was so. Damn. Good!

Last Sacrifice starts off with only two days having passed since where Spirit Bound left off. Rose is awaiting execution for the murder of Tatiana the vampire queen- wrongful execution at that. Time is running out for Rose can Dimitri pull through for her one last time before it's too late? Meanwhile best friend Lissa is trying to prove Rose's innocence in finding out who really killed the queen whilst trying to compete for the royal throne. Can Lissa be queen? Does she even want to be? With the odds against Lissa and Rose both girls find themselves relying on enemies and questioning the people they trust. It's a race against time and both girls realise that to help one another they may have to sacrifice the very thing that matters to them most...each other.

The Vampire Academy series has one of the most layered plots that I've ever come across in Young Adult fiction. The world that Richelle Mead has created has so much depth and story. There's so much going on that your constantly gripped wanting to know what happens next. This vampire world is a world that I love to be in, it's so well developed that it actually feels like a real place.

I think what makes Vampire Academy shine and stand apart from other vampire fiction is that it's totally original. It's like no other vampire series that I've ever read which is so hard to come across after the success of Twilight. I love that it's nothing like Twilight and other books out there and is confident enough to stand on its own and do its own thing. Vampire Academy has no weak spots. Everything's strong and nothing lets it down. The plots original, the characters are hugely likeable, the writings flawless. The series is simply perfection.

What I find really fresh about this series is that although there's an amazing love story, at this books heart is a story about friendship. Deep, loyal, true friendship between two wonderful yet very different girls. Rose and Lissa are brilliant role models for teen readers everywhere, and it's great to find a series that values true friendship above all else.

The characters in this series are all wonderful. I would love every single one of them as a friend. Rose is sassy, feisty, fearless, smart and strong and is my all-time favourite heroine. Head strong and confident girls of all ages will look up to and respect her. Fearless Rose, Kind hearted Lissa, Godlike Dimitri, Loyal Christian and snarky Adrian have come to feel like my own best friends. They each have such brilliant, vivid personalities and reading Last Sacrifice felt like saying goodbye to old friends so much so that I tried to slow my reading down towards the end when it dawned on me that I was getting closer and closer to those final pages. Of course I couldn't do it though it was just too good!

Last Sacrifice has one of the best plots I've ever come across with never a dull moment making it impossible to put down. Each chapter reveals something new and answers questions that fans of this series have been dying to know. The writings incredible and Richelle definitely ends this series on a high note. I can't imagine fans of Vampire Academy being disappointed with the final book at all. I haven't really gone into the plot that much with this review because I want to keep it spoiler free but you will not be disappointed. All of your questions get answered and so many new things happen along the way. The romance is hot, the betrayals deadly and the writing superb and although everything gets concluded things definitely end on a very interesting note for Richelle Meads new spin off series.

I'm so, so sad to see this incredible series come to an end. I've loved every minute spent in this world with such a wonderful cast of characters. I can't wait for more news on Richelle's spin off series if it's even half as good as Rose and Co's story I'm sure were going to be in for a real treat and I really hope the characters from this series make some appearances!

If you haven't read this series yet you are truly missing out on something special. I recommend Vampire Academy to everyone who asks me for book recommendations and never have they been disappointed. Fans of this series are going to be blow away by this grand finale. Honestly guys I can't even put into words how much I love this series and how you all need to check it out, in fact what are you waiting for? Why are you still reading this? Go read it now, now, now! Only the highest of recommendations for my favourite series. 5 stars.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 July 2011
The sixth in a fantastic series, The Last Sacrifice is by far my favourite so far. This time around the Queen has been murdered following straight on from the previous novel. Rose is up for execution for this murder - but did she do it? Well her friends don't think so and so the search begins for the true culprit. But of course, Rose's journey is never simple and neither is her love life.

The love triangle between Rose, Dimitri and Adrian is explored and this is probably my favourite aspect of the novel. We also see Lissa going through different tests and challenges in an attempt to become Queen which is really fun and entertaining. After the last novel I was definitely desperate to read this one and I have to admit I was a little worried it wouldn't match up to my expectations. I was so relieved - it was a really great read.

So all in all, if you're a fan of Rose and Lissa then you won't be disappointed. I have to admit though, there are a couple of typos but it's really not an issue because the plot is gripping enough to skip over any errors.
on 21 September 2013
The queen is dead and Rose has been framed for her murder and is facing execution. However, she is rescued by her friends and now she and Demitri are on the run along with the Alchemist Sydney. But instead of lying low as everyone wants her to, Rose is determined to find who actually killed Tatiana and discover if Tatiana's note to Rose is true about Lissa's secret half-sibling. At court Lissa wants to find out who framed her best friend but is caught in the struggle for the throne. Are both girls able to achieve their goals or will they be able to survive with a killer still out there and the guardians out to kill Rose?

Last Sacrifice is the final book in the Vampire Academy series and is just as amazing as the others in this series. This is because they have everything; there is humour, politics, romance, action and friendships. I did not predict who the killer was and it was such a shock and a real twist.

While Rose and I have had a rocky relationship over the series I love her character as she is so loyal and passionate and it was nice to see how much she has matured since the first book. I also like Lissa and how selfless, good and a smart leader she is.

SPOILER
I am so happy that Rose and Dimitri have their happy ending as they deserve it after everything they have both been through. However, I did not like how they got together as it felt like it cheapened their love by having Rose cheating on Adrian, even though I don't think Rose and Adrian belong together, it made me think less of both Rose and Demitri.
SPOILER END

While it is bittersweet that it is the end of the Vampire Academy series I am glad Rose and Lissa got their happy endings and that we get to see them in the spin-off series Bloodlines. I would recommend Last Sacrifice and this series to fans of YA and/or paranormal books.
on 30 April 2014
** spoiler alert ** I finished this book late last night and I turned off the light with a smile on my face, although I couldn't sleep right away for thinking of Dimitri, Rose and their gang!

I hadn't read any of Richelle Mead's books until this series, but I do admit I had definately heard of her. A few friends praised her up, one in particular (yes that would be you Shannon!) and I eventually got round to these wonderful, wonderful books.

The beauty about Richelle's writing is that I never 'felt' like I was reading, her words 'danced' around in my mind as I watched the book play out in my imagination, I almost 'seen' the characters and what they were doing rather than have to grasp the words and work with them... Richelle has a beautiful way of capturing my interest.

OMG!!! They got Dimitri back.... and what a miserable git he turned out to be... ok, ok, I was seeing through Rose's eyes and I was god dammed jealous of Lissa... he was supposed to love Rose!!!!

And at what point was Richelle Mead going to warn us about Tatiana getting murdered???? WOW, I didn't see that one coming!!!!

Mind, I enjoyed Adrian's relationship with Rose for what it was, well, let's face it, he is no Dimitri (or what Dimitri was huh)!

So Rose get's pinned for murder and the guys (obviously) break her out, they mastermind it with the help of Abe (got to love that guy!!). Whilst enjoying her remote freedom with Sydney and the newly transformed Dimitri, Rose has the idea of trying to find out if there is any truth in Lissa maybe having a sister or brother!!!

It's during all of this running around and watching Lissa at the Court through Rose's eyes, that Dimitri begins to discover himself again and the love he has for Rose obviously breaks through!

Whilst the antics surge forward, Team Lissa is trying to clear Rose's name and we end up thinking of potential suspects. Although things are worked out in this area and we have the murderer revealed, I was utterly shocked!!! Oh My God... I thought Mia, the lovely little Mia, may have been at the top of the list after Danielle, and although Mia had her moment, I was so surprised to see who had really done this.

I was saddened about the bond being over, but it made sense. I was saddened about Adrian.... and I am left wondering about Rose's relationship with Christian (although I think this would naturally turn out ok) and then there is of course Jill and our Sydney....

HOWEVER, I am overjoyed to know that Bloodlines takes us on the journey with Sydney, Adrian and Jill... and this will be a book I pick up in the next week or so... I can't wait to see what happens to them.

I thoroughly recommend this series, what a wonderful, wonderful way to spend the evenings, wrapped up in the adventures of Vampire Academy!
on 24 January 2013
The moroi Queen is dead, found murdered in her bed with Rose Hathaway's stake embedded in her chest. Caught in a desperate race to clear her name, Rose and her friends find themselves forced to play detective and solve the case for themselves. Political machinations and motives abound but can they find the killer before Rose loses her life? And what will her friends be forced to do in her defense?

This is the sixth and final book in the Vampire Academy series (after Vampire Academy,Frostbite,Shadow Kiss,Blood Promise and Spirit Bound). This is a series you really need to read in order so I'd definitely recommend starting with book 1 (as well as not reading any further as I may spoil all the previous books).

This is a pretty awesome end to the series. The storyline is well plotted and action packed, leading the characters off on two interlinked quests - proving Rose's innocence and finding Lissa's sister - whilst some stay behind at court to buy them time. There are a lot of twists and turns, although I figured out some in advance, and lots of plot lines from earlier books are brought forward and concluded.

However some storylines were left unconcluded which I have mixed feelings over. On one hand Adrian, Sydney and Jill are all set to feature in the spin-off series which starts with Bloodlines so I'd expect their storylines to continue, but I've heard no mention of Eddie continuing. If he doesn't I'll be really disappointed as he gave up a lot to help Rose and there's not really been any mention of his future.

Rose has to fight to prove her innocence, whilst also being protected by her friends and family which she is resistant to as they are putting themselves at risk. It also forces her to work with Dimitri and leaves her battling her feelings for him while trying to honour her relationship with Adrian. She's grown a lot since the series started and I felt for her as she struggles to clear her name.

Lissa has also grown a lot since the beginning of the series and in order to buy Rose time she has entered the race to be named the new Moroi Queen. This not only gives a view into the monarchy tests which I found fascinating, but also brings the vampire politics storylines to the forefront and seeks conclusion to them. I loved how her relationship with Christian has helped bring out the best in her and their scenes together were incredibly sweet.

All in all this was a good end to a fun series and I'm looking forward to the spin-off.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 9/10
Cover: 8/10

Overall: 44/50
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
i read the first VA book ages ago - before i got my kindle and while i enjoyed it i wasn't gripped - such a new and complex world is often a problem like that with a new series - i kept forgetting who was who and i was convinced that the romance between dmitri and rose was going to be one of those teen crush things as this had the YA tag from so many reviewers - i should have trusted Richelle more.
Finally bought the second last week - and have raced through the rest housework? whats that!) this week - a fantastic series brought to a happy ending - well for rose and dmitri - not poor adrian : - i feel for him and hope richelle has him set up nicely in another series - from a flakey playboy he's always kept a bit of that air) he's become so so lovable - his feelings for rose are just heartbreaking.
I cried at scenes in the last books - when dmitri was taken - when he bacame strigoi - even then he was still gorgeous though - apart from that little killing and blood drinking to death thing!- and on his stalking rose and eventual retrun - very emotional and poor rose - all that and things didn't go the way she'd hoped. Some great characters emerge and its tribute to richelle writing that she makes the unbeleivable believable - the characters are so real i can emapthise with them, laugh and cry, get on the edge of my seat and have to sneak peaks further on as i can't wait to see what happens.
this will go in my classics library of ones to read and read read - have to dig out the first paper back from my stash first- i can't decide whether to re read now of see what happens next in Bloodlines...
on 8 July 2011
The latest and final installment in the Vampire Academy series. The series, in reading order is: Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound and then Last Sacrifice. The series has followed Rose and Lissa as they grow up and graduate and deal with multiple problems. Rose's are normally Guardian related while Lissa's are royalty or Spirit related. If you haven't read the rest of the series, I suggest you stop reading this (there will be spoilers to previous books) and go read them.

So Rose is the main character but since she's spirit bound to Lissa, she's normally in the books a fair bit too. This book focuses on Lissa trying to prove Rose is innocent and also deal with the new queen or king getting voted for. Problems are raised with Lissa being the last Dragomir (as far as anyone is concerned) and Lissa and friends decide to try and stall the new royal vote to buy Rose more time.

Meanwhile Rose still has a letter from Queen Tatiana revealing that Lissa is not in fact the last Dragomir, she has a sibling out there somewhere. Rose needs to find this sibling so that Lissa can take her rightful place on the royal council and help change the Moroi and Dhampir world for the better. This isn't as easy as it sounds as any records of said child have been erased and no-one seems to know anything. It's a race against time for both of them.

I liked this book, but it definitely wasn't my favourite. I like the characters in this series and always have, Rose is brilliant but stubborn and can sometimes be a pain in the ass. The same can also be said about Lissa though, she always seems a bit ditzy but she's not. I never understood why she was written this way. I also haven't entirely made up my mind yet about whether I liked the ending or not, I think a re-erad of all the books back-to-back is in order.

My main problem with this book has absolutely nothing to with the actual story, characters or author. In my copy of Last Sacrifice there are a hell of a lot of mistakes, simple mistakes that should have been caught in the editing process. One or two annoys me enough as it is but there were a lot more than one or two and it really started to get on my nerves.

Even though Vampire Academy is now finished, Richelle Mead has started on a spin off called Bloodlines. This features different characters from the original series as main characters and she has stated that it's a new storyline and not just a rehashing of an old story. It should be released in August and I'm looking forward to reading it.
on 14 March 2011
WARNING: Contains Spoilers

All I can say is that I love this series - and I mean love it.

Last Sacrifice was a little bitter-sweet; sweet because it was absolutely amazing and bitter because it's the last one in the series told from Rose's point of view. Of course, there is a new spin-off series coming out soon - but not soon enough - about other characters from the books. I have it on fairly good authority that we met them in Blood Promise...

Last Sacrifice started a few days after Spirit Bound finished - and after one of the most mind-blowing cliff-hangers ever. Rose is in trouble, again, but for once she's actually innocent. She's been accused of murdering Queen Tatiana, and the evidence is enough to get her locked up and awaiting trial - a trial that, if she's found guilty, will lead to her execution...

Rose is good-old Rose: brilliant, smart, sarcastic and just plain awesome. Plus, she shows her weak sides; like how she's completely incapable of sitting still and the fact that she's claustrophobic. All these teeny details make her so real, so unique. I feel like I actually know her, like I've actually been there with her, like she's actually my best friend. Insane? Probably. That's just how these books make me feel - Richelle Mead is just that good. I'm honestly going to miss her, even though I know she isn't real.

Dimitri's back! It was so hard to keep the lid on that one. Probably one of hardest things I've ever done. But, he's back, and I'm so happy! You can tell that his time as a Strigoi has scarred him, but he's stronger than ever. And some of the scenes between Rose and him... some of the things they said... pure genius. And Dimitri, well, you should know I've always been Team Dimka, Team Comrade. I just love him, and I really liked seeing his slightly vulnerable side.

Lissa... I've always loved her. Now though, well, wow. She showed just how strong, how beautiful and how good she can be, and I loved her even more for it. The complete selflessness she showed, and her protection for Rose has made her more amazing in my eyes than she's ever been before. She's grown up, and I can hardly recognise her as the insecure girl who cut herself from the first book.

Plus, the way Richelle Mead effortlessly links Lissa and Rose's stories still amazes me. I loved the way Rose let us have an inside peek at all the mayhem at the Royal Court, even while she was right in the middle of her own dilemmas.

It's really hard to know how to describe this book without giving anything away. So, I'm going to say: it's brilliant. Action-packed, suspenseful, beautiful, funny, and absolutely amazing. And, again, I was caught by surprise. I honestly don't remember a series that has caught me more off-balance that Vampire Academy has. I loved the feeling: it made me need to read on - sometimes more than I felt I needed to sleep, eat or work.

Also, I've fallen in love with every single character, and not just the main ones, but all of them. Mia, Jill, Eddie, Mikhail, Sydney - everyone. And the world Mead's created... it's one of my very favourite fictional worlds ever. I would pack my bags and move there now if I could. I don't want to leave it, don't want to leave Rose, but the coming of Bloodlines eases the blow a little. It's released in August - I think - and I'm counting down the days.

This series has made me feel everything: love, hate, fear, laughter, terrible sadness, joy, and almost belonging. If you haven't read this, you're probably going to think I'm completely insane. If you have, you'll - hopefully - understand. I know Vampire Academy is going to be one of the first books I pick up when I need to escape: a comfort book. That may sound odd, but this book is so incredible I can't praise it enough. If you haven't read it, read it right. now. I mean it. It definitely won't disappoint.