5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it! (Imperative, not past tense!) It's brilliant.
Published on 24 May 2011 by djdhp

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat repetitive
This book was interesting, opening eyes to the sort of life lived by Billy - clearly no fool, but dreadfully handicapped by his circumstances. But it was a bit repetitive and did 'go on a bit'. The care home principal was something of a hero and really wanted to help the boy.
Published 19 months ago by Clive Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it! (Imperative, not past tense!) It's brilliant., 24 May 2011
djdhp (Herts. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
I'll say upfront that this is not normally the type of book I would pick up - I'd assume it was issue-led and over-serious. Yet it's neither. It's enormously readable, sometimes funny, and it really stays with you after you finish it. Billy's voice is powerful and convincing, yet he's always a teenager - there's no adult author over his shoulder. I think that's what impressed me most. With a first-person narrative, how does an author maintain our sympathy for this angry and sometimes violent boy while he develops and changes? (Let's be honest, if we saw him in the street, we'd probably cross the road!) How does he convey the bigger picture while never letting the focus slip from Billy's view? Phil Earle manages both of these things, apparently effortlessly. As Billy matures, and his view of the world develops, so does ours, and I genuinely cared about Billy. As an adult, I had the same frustrations as Ronnie, Billy's key worker, in wanting the best for Billy - but it's next on my son's reading pile now, and I am intrigued to know whether he will see Billy differently, as a fellow 14-year-old.
I should add that, having read the book ahead of a literary festival, I also thought Phil Earle made a great speaker! I would guess he'd be brilliant with a roomful of teenagers and so I'd recommend him as well as his book, if you're an English teacher or school librarian.
Looking forward to the next book ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, makes you cry and ultimately makes you hope, 16 Dec 2011
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
Billy Finn's been in care for most of his life - taken from a mother who battled alcohol abuse problems and a step-father who physically abused him. He hates the "scummers" (social workers) who sell him lies and platitudes, hates his mother for giving him up for adoption, hates the couple who wanted to adopt him without understanding him, hates school for giving up on him, hates himself for being unable to articulate all the anger inside him. Although he lashes out at the other lifers in his care home and at the carers there - particularly the Colonel, Ronnie, who constantly sticks his nose into Billy's business - he keeps himself together around his twin brother and sister, Louie and Lizzie, determined that they won't lose out in the same way he has.

Then Billy's mother, Annie, decides that she wants the twins back, leaving Billy devastated.

The more he tries to keep himself together for their sake, the more he threatens to fall apart. But then he meets Daisy. A lifer like him, he finds himself drawn to her, experiencing a genuine connection for the first time only to find that Daisy has secrets of her own, which can cost him everything ...

Phil Earle's debut novel is an extraordinary, powerful and unpatronising look at the life of teenagers in care. This is no liberal apology for the disadvantaged - what makes it such an excellent read is that Billy is a completely flawed and damaged person, lashing out at people and property for the sake of releasing the anger within him, even though it ultimately hurts him more. Demotivated at school because he's not been there enough to keep up with the work, utterly cynical about the social workers and aware of their fear of him and what he's capable of, he's wonderfully brought to life on the page, frustrating and heart breaking in equal measure. His relationships with Daisy and Ronnie are well depicted and I loved the scenes with him and the twins - the only people he really loves enough to change for.

The f-bomb gets used in the text but it's not gratuitous. If anything, I would have liked to see it more, if only because kids like Billy tend to use it as punctuation.

All in all, this was a wonderful contemporary story that makes you think, makes you cry and ultimately makes you hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly reflective of life in care, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
Having worked in residential care I believe this book highlights the issues faced by young people in care and the issues faced by the staff working there. Phil Earle manages to write in a a way that makes you feel you are there. I loved this book and once started I wanted to read more. I hope there's more to come from Phil Earle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly moving book, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
This is such a brilliant read. Totally gripping story that is moving and engaging. The development of the relationships within the story are beautifully written. I could not put it down and read the whole lot in one sitting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Read!, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
Billy Finn thinks he is unlovable. He and his younger brother and sister have been in care for eight years, a possible adoption has fallen through and now his newly-sober mother wants to take her two younger children back home - but not Billy. Billy is angry when he discovers that he is about to lose the last two people he cares about and who care about him. He gets into fights, he damages property and generally seems to spend a lot of time on the floor being restrained by Ronnie (aka the Colonel), one of the carers at the home. However Billy certainly is lovable and people do genuinely care about him. It just takes him a while to realise this and people get hurt along the way, most of all, Billy himself. There is a ray of hope when Billy meets Daisy, a girl who is new to the school, but this friendship runs into difficulties and Billy falls deeper and deeper into trouble with his carers and with the law.

Phil Earle's book is powerful and heartbreaking in places, as we can see that Billy does have redeeming qualities even though these qualities are rarely on display to the wider world. Billy needs to deal with his past and move on to a brighter future, but first he has to accept that he can't do this alone and he has to allow himself to accept the help that is being offered. What a great book this is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful, moving and brilliantly written, 23 Dec 2010
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
Being Billy is a fantastic piece of storytelling. The narrative really hooks you in from the first page, the characters are very well crafted and the story is very powerful. I can't believe this book is a debut. Phil Earle has a fantastic writing carear ahead of him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being Billy is absolutely wonderful, 6 Aug 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
Being Billy is a book that I've been meaning to read for a long time now, it's come highly recommended by most of my favourite UKYA bloggers and now that I've finally read it I can completely understand why they all rave about it. It's incredibly impressive to think that this was Phil Earle's debut novel and I'm excited that I already have copies of his next three books because I can't wait to dive into them.

Billy is an angry young man, something that isn't really surprising considering everything he's been through, he has spent eight years living in care and he feels that nobody really cares about him. The staff may act like they care but they're getting paid to look after him and he's sure they all forget about him the moment they're no longer on the clock. The only constants in Billy's life are his younger siblings, Lizzie and Louie, and Billy would do anything to make sure they are safe and cared for. He's pretty much given up on himself but he wants the best for them so when social services threaten to separate them unless he starts to behave himself he knows he's going to have to try and do something about his temper.

This story absolutely broke my heart, Billy is such an incredibly realistic character (you can really tell that the author has experience as a Care Worker) and his story really makes you think. It's painful to think of the thousands of children who are in Billy's position, children who haven't had the best start in life and who have been rejected or abused by the people who are supposed to love them the most. It's no wonder that some of these kids fight back to get attention or just don't know how to deal with their anger in a healthy way. Billy has no outlet for his feelings so his temper can be explosive but it was incredibly easy to sympathise with him.

What I loved most was seeing how Billy changes from a young man with the world on his shoulder who thinks that everyone is out to get him. It isn't easy but eventually he starts to understand that people do care about him and that they want what is best not just for him but also for Lizzie and Louie too. I also loved seeing his friendship with Daisy develop and I'm excited that we're going to learn more about her in Saving Daisy. I think the thing I probably enjoyed the most was Billy's interactions with the carer Ronnie. Ronnie was a hard taskmaster who didn't let Billy get away with anything but he took the time to build a bond between them. It was obvious how much Ronnie cared about the whole family and even though it took Billy a long time to realise that seeing the change in Billy when he finally did was incredibly rewarding. I have the utmost admiration for carers, it must be one of the most emotionally draining and difficult jobs out there but at times it must be one of the most rewarding ones too.

Being Billy is an incredible story, one that will break your heart one minute but have you laughing out loud the next. It will make you appreciate everything you've got and it might even make you think twice about the actions of some of the kids you used to go to school with. One thing it will definitely do is stay with you. I found myself thinking about Billy many times after I finished the book because he just feels so real to me, he is a young boy you could meet in pretty much any town in England and he wormed his way into my heart and made himself at home there. I can't recommend Being Billy highly enough and I can't wait to read more from Phil Earle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuine storytelling, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
Being Billy was a very realistic book. It is clear from the beginning that Phil Earle has previously worked in care - the authenticity of Billy and the relationships he has with others is incredible. Though I didn't find Billy completely endearing, I found him to be a very interesting character and I could see where he was coming from in a lot of his thoughts and I could admire the fact that he knew he wasn't perfect and had made mistakes. I adored Billy's relationship with his siblings as it showed a more sensitive, paternal side of him. His relationship with Ron also made for a very strong feature in the story. I didn't see the twist coming which made for a really big shock - it was certainly effective and emotive. I can't say that this book completely grabbed my attention, it didn't have me desperate to read on, but it all felt very true to life which is the real quality of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and sensitive, 1 May 2011
Helen Simpson (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
A young adult novel about 14 year old Billy who lives in a care home. The author really 'gets' the abandonment that children in care experience and through a good story explains where some of the aggression comes from and how difficult forming relationships can be.
Billy's life revolves around social workers, case reviews and feeling so defensive he won't let anyone get close to him, however he does have a soft spot; his younger siblings who look up to him. The other character central to the story is Ronnie, aka 'The Colonel'. He is Billy's care worker in the children's home and the role model he desperately needs. Billy's having none of it though and Ronnie seems to be fighting a losing battle in trying to get Billy to trust him. The author manages to make both views both understandable and believable; getting across the unacceptable but often misunderstood side of youth aggression and reinforcing just how precarious young lives are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being Billy, 16 Feb 2011
Vicki @ Cosy Books - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Being Billy (Paperback)
Wow. This book was intense indeed. Right from the very start Phil Earle creates in Billy a character so full of depth and complexities and so perfectly crafted it's impossible to not think of him as a real person and become completely involved with his story.

Everything about this story rings true. Phil Earle worked in the care sector before he moved into book related jobs and this more than shows. He gets how a child in care really does feel; something I don't believe just comes from the job itself but from a person who sees beyond it. Having experience of local authority care myself many years ago I recognised Billy: the anger, fear, distrust, vulnerability and feelings of hatred at others and himself.

What was especially fascinating with this book was seeing Billy's relationships, which in turn allow the reader to see him from very different angles. With his mother he is resentful, distant and angry, with the twins he is caring, gentle and protective while the other kids at the home provoke a nasty and violent reaction. Then there's the relationship with Daisy, new girl at school and fellow child of the care system. Here we see him unsure but hopeful and for the first time opening up to another person.

My favourite relationship however was with Ron, Billy's long-term care worker at the home and pretty much the only consistent adult in his life. Seeing this relationship develop was just stunning. Billy detests Ron as he represents everything about the system he so hates being a part of. As we read from Billy's perspective throughout the book I felt pretty much the same way about him to begin with, until little things are dropped in which slowly gives the reader a bigger picture and had me urging Billy to see what was right there in front of him. This relationship had me brimming with tears more than once.

Being Billy isn't an easy read, far from it. However it is a book that should be read. This is an emotional book, one that will really make you stop and think and get right under your skin. It's gripping from the first page and by the end you will be sure these characters actually do exist and care deeply for them. I felt every injustice Billy endures and was thinking about him long after the last page. Possibly one of the most realistic books I've read for a long time, I highly recommend it.

Being Billy
Being Billy by Phil Earle (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)