5.0 out of 5 stars An all time favourite, 2 Sep 2010
Ms. A. Pugh (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family from One End Street (Puffin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I have always preferred to read about real people in real situations and The Family From One End Street was one of my favourite stories as a child. Even as a postwar baby myself, their life seemed hard to me but what I see now is a family of children who can find excitement and get pleasure from the simplest of things and who take life's knocks as they come along and then pick themselves up and get on with it.

I've never forgotten the chapter where Lily Rose ironed the green silk petticoat. The reaction of Mrs Ruggles' customer to the tiny shrunken garment was both funny and poignant. The loss of a petticoat - so amusing and unimportant to the customer - would have been a disaster in the Ruggles household.

For all these reasons and because I think she still values the simple things in life, I have bought this for my 10-year old granddaughter. I hope she enjoys it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magicial Book, 12 Dec 2011
There are probably many books that stay with people for a lifetime, and The Family From One End Street is one of them. I had'nt read this book since middle school. I remember a teacher reading it to us and being so entralled going home and pestering mum to buy my own copy. She did and I must have read it a hundred times. As time went on I lost my copy but when picking stories for my own children, this came to mind and so glad I've returned to it. It is a magicial book with a sense of social justice.... and its great seeing our 8 year old daughter enjoy it. I recommend this to children and adults alike. Ideal for christmas too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ruggles revisited, 13 Feb 2012
This was the start of a love for books that stays with me even now 50 years later. I loved this series of books as a child,But I did'nt know why then, but having revisited it thanks to Amazon, I realise how beautifully written it is and will resonate with children for many years to come. lets have the rest of them made available. My favourite was The Further Adventures of the family from One End Street.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FAMILY FROM ONE END STREET BOOK, 7 Feb 2014
I loved this book as a child and still re-read it. It's about an East End family in the 1930s. Bought it as a present for my friends' daughter to see if it still goes down well. Nice edition and came promptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 27 Dec 2013
This book was read to me at school when I was a small child. I have always remembered it, and now I have purchased it so that I may again relive the excitement when I read it to the small children in our family

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, 6 Dec 2013
My brother bought me these books as a child and I read and reread them! I lent them to some one for their daughter when I was ollder and they misplaced the books. Although I tried to replace them they were always listed out of print so I never got to pass them on to my daughter. (No Amazon then!) I am truly delighted to have found both copies available on Amazon and will keep a firm hold on them now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 4 Dec 2013
I read this book when I was a child. I am now going to read it to my first grandchild!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As I remembered, 27 Aug 2013
I first read this as a child & loved it. The memory stayed with my throughout my adulthood & when I saw it was now available on kindle, despite not having children, I had to have it. I am so glad I did; it was as good as I remembered it. Plus, even though it is of an era long past (& I am not old enough to have experienced it either!), the story does not feel dated. In fact I would say it is a testament to such good writing that children today are enjoying the stories as much as we did when we were their age.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE FAMILY FROM ONE END STREET., 10 Jun 2014
At last an award winning book - The Family From One End Street won the Carnegie Medal as the best children's book of 1937 - that I actually enjoyed.

The story of a man, his wife and their seven children which I first read as a girl. Considered ground-breaking for its portrayal of 1930's working class life (father, Josiah 'Old Jo' Ruggles, is a dustman, his wife, Rosie, a stay-at-home-mother as we might call her today who takes in laundry) when first published in 1937 it strikes me that many of the issues featured are still relevant today.

Perfect bedtime reading given that though a novel it reads more like a series of short stories with each chapter being given over to a single event generally but not always starring one or other of the Ruggles children.

A wonderfully nostalgic read. The classic story of one big, happy family who despite their financial hardship are content. I remember the thing that really appealed to me as a young girl (as it still does) was that whilst I loved reading of the adventures of the country living, gingerbeer swigging, adventure having children of say Enid Blyton's books I actually recognised some of myself in the children of One End Street.