Published 5 months ago by Yi-Peng

1.0 out of 5 stars Order Not Fulfilled!
More than a week after ordering, I was advised the books were 'out of stock'!
This left me short of gifts for 2 small children for Christmas.
The order should never have been taken if stock was not available.
I hope the order has been fully credited - checking today!!!
Published 8 months ago by Mandy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An immersive and scrumdidilyumptious pop-up edition of this Dahl tale, 3 April 2014
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
Pop-ups of nursery rhymes and fairy tales are probably more commonplace than pop-up adaptations of meaty books like Roald Dahl stories. So it is a treat to savour and own this pop-up book of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This first pop-up adaptation of this Dahl story is a right good scrumdidilyumptious feast for Dahl fans. It is so well put together with its simple yet effective devices of pop-ups, pull-outs and lift-the-flaps and immerses the reader in the story.

Every spread is a delight, from Charlie's first entrance to the Great Glass Lift at the end of the story. I especially the pull-out tabs that send the nasty children to their fates and offer us the Oompa-Loompa songs. I also like the Chocolate Room door that reveals the room when you lift the flaps. The story continues on the other side of the door. This is, I think, an immersive highlight that captivates the reader. Most importantly, I like how the chocolate factory and its iron gates pop up in the second spreads and even when the children meet Mr Wonka. It is a felicitous delight to have the paper engineers remind us that this is Charlie's story after all in the first two spreads. He waves his hands in the first spread when he meets and greets the reader, and he is shown in a still drawing on the next spread in relation to the chocolate factory.

The pop-ups are complemented by an abridged text of the original story. This is like a caveat emptor to buyers who want to purchase this book, but I think they might know that already. However, in a way, an abridged text is good. In its published form, the story tends to meander along with peripheral episodes. The abridged text in this pop-up book is good in omitting the peripheral episodes, but at times the reader notices that there are joins. For instance, there is no boat ride to take us to the Inventing Room and no ride in the Great Glass Lift to take us to the Television Chocolate Room. The transition between the Nut Room and the Television Chocolate Room is rather abrupt. However the text still retains the heart of the story. It is essentially a variation on Cinderella in which Charlie is Cinderella, Willy Wonka is the Prince and the four nasty children are the ugly stepsisters.

This is such a good pop-up adaptation of Charlie that it is such a shame that it's hard to get now. It's such a shame in this year when we celebrate the golden anniversary of its first publication. However, it is so delectable that it is worth a golden ticket just to own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for under 5s, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
My daughter absolutely loves this book. A simplified and shortened version of the original but still has plenty of charm and humour of the full version. She loves the pop-out pages. Been read numerous times at bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Oct 2011
S. J. Garrity (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
Bought this book to read to my 5 and 8 year olds at bedtime as we have read alot of Roald Dahls other books. I got this version as my 8 year old is Autistic and he's very visual so i thought this would be a good idea for him, both my sons love it, they we're both ooooing and ahhhing all the way through at the pop up section. The only thing i would say is that its not a good book for kids to read alone if their young or easily destroy things as some of the pop ups are very big and easily destroyed. Overall we love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knock-out pop-up for fans, 29 Jan 2014
J. Lonsdale (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
My girls (7 and 5) loved the story so much (in original format) that the younger one asked for a pop-up version. Couldn't believe my luck to find that one existed. And it is excellent. Nice to be able to re-read the story in a shorter form (and I'm asked to do so frequently). Sometimes spectacular cardboard mechanics. Daughter so proud of it that she took it into school for show-and-tell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. I bought this book on the basis of the author Quentin Blake who I find to be really lively. Its a great book my 5 year old loves it. only thing is you have to very careful and handle it gently. I would not leave this lying around as could just imagine the kids destroying it. I would def recommend this, I also think it would make a nice present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - 6 year old loves it, 28 Dec 2011
Mark Rendle (Guildford, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
Great quality pop-ups and a lovely shiny gold-ticket.
If your kids love Charlie and the chocolate factory and pop-up books then its a no-brainer.
Not quite as elaborate as many other pop-up books my kids have but still very good indeed and worth getting.
There are little tabs to pull and things to slide around, and at the price I bought this for on Amazon (about £8), a great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's brilliant, 15 Jun 2014
C. Fischer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
I like the stories of Roald Dahl very much. And I like Quentin Blake, too. This Pop-up book is brilliant. Every page is made with love, children will love it and big children (like me) as well.
(Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speeker.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the kids!, 20 July 2014
Cathy Hudson (Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
What an amazing pop-up book! I have to admit that I bought this purely for myself, I'd be too scared to let the kids loose with it. Fabulous illustrations and the pop-ups are fantastic too. Keeps me entertained! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely version of a favourite, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
Attractively presented and easy to handle. The pop up features supported the story well. Ideal gift for my grand daughter

5.0 out of 5 stars really magical, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book (Hardcover)
a fantastic pop up book, funny moveable parts and huge elaborate pop up scenes. Feels and looks just as you imagine the story should, would definitely recommend for children of all ages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Pop-Up Book by Roald Dahl (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2011)
Used & New from: £14.18