5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant.
WARNING: Contains Spoilers

I fell in love with the series from the first book, and with the smart-mouth, impulsive Rose and the sweet, charismatic Lissa, and Frostbite definitely didn't let me down.

Published on 14 Mar. 2011 by TheBookAddictedGirl

3.0 out of 5 stars good follow up
The book lacks drama and starts very slow. Well written though amd certainly makes up for it in the end!
Published 21 months ago by Mr. Ben Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant., 14 Mar. 2011
WARNING: Contains Spoilers

Told for Rose's point of view again, with glimpses into Lissa's via Rose and their unique psychic bond, the book is fast paced, exciting and just as addictive as the first. It starts with a brief introduction to the characters and the story so far, before diving straight into Rose's boy trouble and a huge Strigoi attack that leave both the Moroi and the dhampir worlds reeling.

And from there, Richelle Mead just drags you in with more and more action, romance and suspense. She had me completely hooked until the end. Going from Rose's many boy troubles to the more sinister worries of what the Strigoi will do next, and more importantly: what - and if - the Moroi and the dhampirs are going to do to stop them...

Once again, I have to say just have to say how much I love Rose. She has this way of looking at things: she can go from being slightly petty when it comes to certain subjects to being completely oblivious to her own safety when it comes to keeping her best friend safe. It's really rather refreshing and often very funny. I love the impulsive side of her: the one that makes her so sarcastic but I also really like it when she shows the side that makes you see just how calm and mature she can be: once again, when it comes to Lissa.

Lissa is still selfless as ever, struggling slightly with her element the spirit, but just as loveable as before. Her boyfriend, Christian, really makes me laugh, too, even if he really annoys Rose, and I like his complete devotion to Lissa: it's really cute.

I really love Dimitri, as well, with his Zen-life-lessons and responsible way of looking at things.

All in all, another brilliant book of danger, vampires, death, romance and more than a little violence, that somehow manages to make you laugh one minute and have you hooked from the suspense the next. I loved Frostbite even more than the first book, and once again I loved Richelle's way of writing and her story line that grips you from the word go. I honestly can't wait to read about more of Rose's escapades and the world she lives in: just love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Read on, read on, book 3 will make it worthwhile..., 4 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) (Paperback)
My Thoughts: Frostbite is the second book in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, and I couldn't read it without comparing it with the 1st book.

Now that the readers were introduced to Mead's original vampire universe in detail in Vampire Academy, in Frostbite Richelle Mead could concentrate on the plot and character development. The main mystery/plot line in Frostbite was the exploration of the threat the Strigoi constitute, which was only alluded to in Vampire Academy.

The setting is exciting: for Christmas holidays the school goes to a very exclusive and posh ski resort, where skiing, partying and other troubles ensues.

Rose is back with more problems than ever, though most of her problems in Frostbite are mainly those of a normal girl her age: Lissa is forsaking her because she spends all her time with her new boyfriend, Christian, Mason (Rose's best guy friend) is trying hard to become more than friends with Rose, Dimitri is still forbidden and still oh so irresisitible (but now there is also Tasha (the beautiful royal aunt of Christian) who is openly flirting with him, calling him by nicknames and who manages to make Dimitri laugh!), a new boy appears on the scene to whom Rose is unexplainably drawn and who is nothing but trouble (Adrian Ivashkov), and if that wasn't enough Rose's absent mom comes to the school, and Rose's abandonment issues are seriously wracking havoc. So as you can see, life without vampire threats is eventful enough for Rose.

At times I was feeling sorry for Rose, because she really had so much on her plate and noone she could confide in or just talk things through. And now I come to the point which enraged me in Frostbite: Lissa. I understand that she is vulnerable and there is an established dynamic between her and Rose where Rose does everything to take care of her and protect her, but the way she didn't care for Rose in Frostbite made me so angry. Friendship should be about two people being attentive to each other, and I understand that Lissa not having the magical bond to Rose does not know of her moods and feelings from start, but that is why she should at least be attentive to her or talk to her! Rose needed a friend, and Lissa as her best friend was pretty much absent from the equation for most of the novel. She was neither there as emotional support nor as just a physical friend. It's nice and good that she can always count on Rose, but I felt bad on behalf of Rose seeing that not only didn't she get the same consideration, but not even the attention of an ordinary friend. Sure, so far Lissa has not proven to be such an interesting character, but as a supporting character she is Rose's best friend and she didn't live up to her role in Frostbite.

Mason, oh Mason. *sighs* If you have read my review of Vampire Academy, you know that he is one of my favourite characters (and if you have read the series I'm sure you understand why I love him :-) ). He is cute, thoughtful, caring and so helpful to Rose. He was adorable in Frostbite too, and not wanting to spoil anything at all, that's all I'm going to say.

A new addition to the set of characters is Adrian, another spoilt, rich royal, who exudes power and charm, and who is very much interested in Rose. I have a feeling he will become a major character later on, and I can't wait to read more about him, he is the type of exciting bad boy, that you know is dangerous for you but you are just addicted to the thrill :-)

Besides Lissa, the others characters truly evolve in Frostbite, one of the major one of these character developments is that of Mia's, I'm curious to see how and on which side she will end up in the next books.

All in all Frostbite was another exciting ride, Richelle Mead took her characters and us readers for a few spins, the plot was more complex and I definitely want more!

I give this book 4 stars only because of Lissa and the ending of the Strigoi mystery... (not saying anything more so as not to spoil the story for those who haven't read Frostbite yet)

Plot: 7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars This series gets better and better, 24 Dec. 2010
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) (Paperback)
As someone who struggled through the first book in the series, Vampire Academy, I fairly flew through this one (the second in the series).

The danger rises, the action multiplies, the plot thickens, and the suspense kills.
I really enjoyed this, despite it being YA which I normally avoid like the plague. The characters are growing more complex and the plot is getting more intricate by the page. I really can not wait to see where this series goes.

There is a lot of humour in this series, but there's also a lot of darkness, and especially in this one sadness. The last 100 pages or so were very tense and had me glued to my seat. I started the third one as soon as I put this one down. I'd recommend it but would warn: read the first book in the first beforehand, Vampire Academy.

Those who enjoy YA, urban fantasy/paranormal romance, and authors such as Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison and Ilona Andrews will no doubt love this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 19 Jan. 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For Rose Hathaway, life as a Guardian-in-training at St. Vladimir's Academy is never easy.

While her best friend, future charge, and sole remaining member of the royal family member (Lissa) may no longer be in direct danger, the Strigoi (those vampires who drink blood, possess super-strength, have red pupils, and also have no qualms about using their powers over the elements as a method of attack) are still the greatest threat facing their Moroi counterparts.

Rose and her number-one crush, instructor Dimitri Belakov, discover just how significant this threat is when they arrive at what should have been Rose's make-up Qualifier exam with famed Guardian Arthur Schoenberg. What they find instead is seven royal Moroi, massacred in their own home along with their Guardians - and evidence that the Strigoi are now being helped by humans.

With Christmas vacation drawing near, St. Vlad's is on high alert and not terribly inclined to unleash their students into the great wide world. A school field trip to an exclusive Moroi ski lodge is the perfect solution, not just for a Moroi seeking to elude the Strigoi, but also for Rose, who's looking to escape two recent female campus arrivals - one of whom has a history and penchant for flirting with Dimitri.

What guests from St. Vlad's and elsewhere will soon realize, though, is that their enemies are much closer than they think.

FROSTBITE is an engrossing, complex paranormal follow-up to VAMPIRE ACADEMY, with a page-turning plot and deeply layered characters, whose growth and development over the course of the novel is believable and (in some cases) inevitable. Though there were a few scenes that lagged, I had a hard time putting this book down even for necessities like eating and sleeping.

Reviewed by: Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Young Adult urban fantasy, 10 Feb. 2009
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
Richelle Mead is hitting all the right buttons with this series, which is of a very high standard. A well constructed supernatural world with clearly thought out and developed 'races' of Moroi, Guardians and Strigoi. The characterisation is excellent and a great complexity of relationships and roles between our heroine Rose and Dmitri (teacher and possible lover), Rose and Lissa (Guardian to her Moroi) and Rose and her mother (child/parent but also potential work colleagues). Strong plot, well carried through and it feels as though there is so much potential to come from this series. Even Rose is getting less irritating - but I guess she is just a teenager!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Frostbite" by Richelle Mead, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) (Paperback)
I seem to forget how wicked of a writer Richelle Mead is when I stay away for her books for too long. Withdrawal I guess. Or a coping mechanism. Because she really is the best. I have liked every single one of her books. “Frostbite” was no exception. Allow me to explain what made this book so great.

The story picks up right where we left off with the last one. Now that the world for the series has been established, Richelle Mead is gearing up. In this episode gruesome attacks by the Strigoi shake the Moroi and dhampir community. And what do the rich and fabulous do? Hide out in a skiing lodge! You heard that right. Okay it might sound a little silly but the whole thing actually works really well together. Rose gets her man trouble that was on the background of the first book. We meet her mom. And our side-characters get a fair share of action as well. The story is well thought out and the ending sets up a darker mood for the books to come.

Rose is still fun, but is also growing up. Metaphorically speaking, because she can’t help but speak before thinking. And it is still funny. A few times I thought that she is being quite stupid, but the transition period is necessary into cool and collected does not happen overnight.
I really liked Lissa in this book. She is embracing her role in the Moroi society and while she does not get much attention in “Frostbite”, then I have to point out that she is cleaning up good.
Lissa leads me to Christian. He is sort of what Rose is, but male. A lot of one-liners and fun times guaranteed.
I liked that other novices (dhampir-kids) got more attention as well. Mason was a big part of this book. He was a sweet one. In Rose’s position I would have probably done what she did though. Or planned to do. No spoilers.
Dimitri… I still don’t know why I am not rooting for him that much. Oh wait, yes, I do. Adrian. Sir Fabulous has been introduced and once again I love him. He is ridiculously arrogant, self-assured and in this case self-medicated. What’s not to love? But back to Dimitri. He shows his fun side when with Tasha (which pisses Rose off to no end, of course). He was growing on me, with his suppressed lust and all, until Adrian came along. Sorry Dimka.

While “Frostbite” is the shortest book in the series, it still packs a punch and is a worthy follow-up to “Vampire Academy”. My hands are itching for the next book. I must go, my books need me.

But I almost forgot. Star thingies. Five of em. No doubt.

---

The review is also on my blog:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Frostbite review (CONTAINS SPOILERS), 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) (Paperback)
Since I finished Vampire Academy, I'd wanted to get Frostbite immediately, but as my first resort was my local bookshop, of course it wasn't going to be there when I wanted it... I also have a funny feeling that this review will be me gushing over all the emotions I felt while reading this book (especially the end!).
Anyhow, I got it, and oh my gods, it was insanely good, I really enjoyed it, which was a little surprising for me considering I was sceptical as to whether or not it could top Vampire Academy, but it did!
I really liked the relationship between Rose and her mother, although that was probably because it reminded me a fair bit of my relationship with my own mum, and I really liked meeting the new characters in Frostbite (particularly Adrian Ivashkov, who I have claimed as mine), and getting to know the previous characters better was also nice.
And then (here come the spoilers, you've been warned!) came Mason, Mia and Eddie's Strigoi hunt outing - well, I say outing, but after Rose and Christian found them, they all got lost, then captured. But they managed to escape, thanks to Christian's awesome handcuff-burning and Rose's fighting. It was all going well, until Rose was recaptured. Mason turned back to rescue her, which turned out to be fatal (for more than one person). I don't want to say any more than that. I can't actually bring myself to type about Mason properly, so I'm sort of dancing around the topic... But I didn't expect Mason's fate to affect me as much as it did. I think he was on the verge of becoming one of my favourite characters, but NOOO. NOT TODAY. I also liked the portrayal of the relationship between Dimitri and Rose in this book, because sure, she was a bit childish sometimes, but I probably would have been too, in her position. And the heart-to-heart talks they had were just... Aaaah. They made me happy ^u^
The only thing that really annoyed me in Frostbite (or should I say the only person) was Lissa. She seemed very... caught up with Christian, which is fair enough, I can see that they're crazy about each other, but would it really have killed Lissa to take some time to just check if Rose was okay? It's hardly an excuse...
Anyway, other than Lissa being a teensy bit self-centred, I absolutely adored Frostbite much more than I initially thought.
But Masonnnnn :((

5.0 out of 5 stars Frostbite, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) (Paperback)
After the largest Strigoi the vampire world has seen, St Vladimir school is on high alert with more guardians being brought in and the students and family are spending their winter holidays at a royal ski resort. However, Rose Hathaway has other problems to focus on with her romantic feelings towards her teacher Dimitri, who might be interested in someone else, with her struggling to spend time with her best friend Lissa without her new boyfriend Christian being around and her absent mother turning up out of the blue. However, when some of Rose's friends get into trouble it is up to Rose and Christian to rescue them before it is too late.

I love the Vampire Academy series and Frostbite as it has a brilliant plot, unique characters, action suspense and romance. What I also like about this book more than the last was how the story was less about the school drama and more mature, it was also interesting to find out about the different history and social rules of the different types of vampires.

I love Mead's ability to make you care about all of the different characters, as I can really empathises and understand them but especially Rose. I also like the tense relationship between Rose and her mother as it is different from most mother/daughter relationships in YA paranormal books. I love the new charming character Adrian as he adds a new dynamic to the group.

I love Frostbite and would recommend these books to fans of paranormal books or very well written YA books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tantlilizingly tempting treat that is deeply absorbing and a compelling read, ideal for all Vampire fans, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) (Paperback)
As a fan of Young Adult Vampire fiction, such as Stephanie Meyer's Twilight saga for example, the Vampire Diaries by L J Smith and the Morganville Vampires etc. I was so excited to discover Vampire Academy! `VA' is a spellbinding supernatural read filled with deadly danger, sinister secrets and spinechilling suspense. I would highly recommend this series to all who love Vampires and are looking for something else to read within the Young Adult genre, since the "sparkly Vampire" success.

When love and jealousy collide on the slopes...winter break turns deadly

St. Vladimir's Academy is on high alert since a massive Vampire attack. This year's trip to the wintry peaks of Idaho has become mandatory. Rose Hathaway can't escape guy troubles, which resembles that of a love triangle akin to Bella, Edward and Jacob. Her relationship with gorgeous tutor Dimitri can never be and her closest friend has now confessed that he has a crush on her... The glittering winter landscape is so picturesque but there is danger lurking in the shadows, and in Rose's heart. Forbidden temptation lies behind the iron gates.

Exciting, intense and addictive I was sucked into this story so quickly that it did not take me long to read and finish it. Unable to put the book down, I was entranced by Rose's connection with her best friend and the guy whom she loves ~ so similar to Bella Swan and her loyal friend Jacob versus the drop-dead gorgeous Vampire Edward Cullen. If you love Twilight, Vampire Diaries and love triangles then you will really love Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series that contains electrifying drama and shocking revelations!

"I wished the kiss could have gone on forever. Breaking the embrace, he ran a few fingers through my hair and down my cheek..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Snowbound vampires, 20 Jan. 2013
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) (Paperback)
When a massive vampire attack decimates a Moroi family, St. Vladimir's Academy is placed on high alert. With large numbers of the deadly Strigoi in the area it is decided that the winter trip to snowy Idaho is now mandatory. Even the glittering landscape and decadent ski lodge aren't enough to help with Rose Hathaway's relationship issues, leaving her stuck between an impossible relationship and a recently confessed crush. But real danger still lurks and will change their lives forever.

This is the second book in the Vampire Academy series (after Vampire Academy) which is a series I really recommend reading in order. I enjoyed this more than the first book in the series as the first book issues (like the flashbacks) are gone and a quick introductory prologue means that this leaps straight into the storyline. The book is action packed and well written, building tension to the shocking finale. I ended up glued to the page throughout and I loved that the action moved away from St. Vladimir's to a new snowy location as it changed things up.

Rose didn't irritate me as much in this installment. She still isn't my favourite character but she seemed less mean to people outside her immediate circle. Her mother Janine appears and their relationship also goes a long way to explaining why Rose acts as she does. Lissa and Christian are still awesome and I love that their relationship is bringing out the best in each of them. Dimitri is trying to be all official and teacher-like which means the potential romance with Rose is off, which again contrasts well with the happy state of Lissa and Christian's relationship.

Adrian Ivashkov is fast becoming my favourite character in the whole series. I love his snark and how he relates to Rose and the other main characters. By introducing him, the ideas behind spirit magic can be further developed which is awesome. Another new character that I really like is Christian's aunt Tasha who seems like a great person and again widens the world as the book takes a somewhat political stance when the argument of whether Moroi should learn to defend themselves or continue to rely on their guardians arises.

All in all, this was a great read and I'm looking forward to Shadow Kiss.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 7/10

Overall: 45/50

Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2)
Vampire Academy: Frostbite (book 2) by Richelle Mead (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2009)