Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on 2 November 2014
This novel is a difficult one for me to review. While I can see that it has a massive and very dedicated fan base (and so must be doing something write), it just did not speak to me.

The story was very poorly paced and did not feel as though it was really moving until the last fifty pages. Prior to this, the high school drama took precedence over the story. The focus was entirely on popular kids back-stabbing one another to remain on the top. And these characters were just utterly unlikable. The world of the Moroi is filled with prejudice, It seemed at times as though they just routinely discriminated against any one that was not another Moroi. Unfortunately, this meant that I just did not care if they lived or died.

The text was also heavy in exposition. A lot of character development happened while Rose was elsewhere and then was simply related to her by other characters. I personally prefer text that shows, rather than tells. Mia's tragic back story did not really resonate with me because all I saw of her character was her behaving horribly. Similarly, what Rose heard about Lissa was fascinating but we did not see a lot first hand. I would have preferred for her to be the narrator as her struggle with her powers and sanity would have been some interesting reading.

I did not really like Rose as much as I felt I should. While I appreciated that she was not a typical paranormal romance heroine, I found her attitudes to be too hypocritical and contradictory. If she was so upset that people called her a 'blood whore', why did she behave in such a promiscuous way? I also did not think there was a lot of chemistry between her and Dimitri. I felt that a relationship between her and Lissa would have been more believable as the two of them had a far closer bond.

All in all, the exciting ending gives me hope for Frostbite but I was not too enamored with this novel.
on 27 February 2014
Really could not get into this story at all. Not enough to make me finish the book. For the first time in ages I didn't finish it. Got board.
on 11 January 2015
After reading so many good reviews i was expecting better.... Definitely not impressed with the book.
on 23 November 2008
I came to this book after reading Twilight and it is difficult to avoid making comparions. For a vampire novel to succeed, it has to make the reader believe that there are areas on the fringes of society where the supernatural can exist and where humanity can take strange and different forms. These areas need to be described in dark and atmospheric language allowing readers to imagine the locations and characters clearly.
In my opinion Richelle Mead's novel lacks the atmosphere and implicit sense of menace that is needed for an effective vampire tale. The Vampire Academy is described briefly and it seems a curious combination of ancient and modern with dark buildings and internet connections suggesting that supernatural beings depend on human technology.
The story is told from the point of view of Rose Hathaway or Dhampir, a semi-vampire who has the job of guarding Lissa, a vampire princess, who has unique and special powers. The choice of narrator is interesting and gives the novel both strengths and weaknesses. Rose is an intriguing character, a natural rebel, fiercely loyal to Lissa. However it also means that the world of the vampires is explained in a very matter-of-fact , everyday style. There is no sense of amazement of bewilderment. Other characters are less memorable and come dangerously close to stereotypes such as the bitchy girl and the hunky bodyguard.
I feel that the main issue with this novel is that it is not sure whether it wants to be a teen-novel exploring issues such as attraction and dealing with difficult emotions or whether it wants to be a horror novel. As a hybrid of the two, in my opinion it does not work.
on 11 July 2015
I usually love vampire related novels. This started off with potential, we get a school with some vampire magic users, guardians to protect them etc. I love the idea of the novel.
Was enjoying this book until halfway point where I was so fed up with the main character Rose Hathaway. Ok, so I know she is supposed to be 17 and immature. But throughout the first book all she does is want to beat people up because they make her lose her temper?! It happens on several occasions and is really annoying. Also her lack of judgement of other characters in the book. Also I don't get why she acts like a whore most of the time. I just find the main character so unlikeable I could not continue reading the book. Shame as I bought all of it expecting it to be good. I suggest people to read A Shade Of Vampire. So much better and main character so much more likeable than this bratty teenager Rose.