Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 December 2010
Artemis fowl and the atlantis complex is a very strange book. this is because in all the other artemis fowl books he is organised, cunning and always in control of the situation. Artemis develops a psycological disorder called the atlantil complex which is kind of similar to OCD. He starts hating the number 4 and loves/needs the number 5. At the start of the book he meets with his fairy friends to discuss a solution for global warming when the meeting is attacked by robots that foaly (the genius centaur) designed. During the attack artemis gets electrocuted and changes from one personality to another. At the same time we learn that commander root's evil brother is controlling the robots from his prison. from which he intends to escape which he does using the robots as a diversion. Artemis and holly manage to escape the robots thanks to Mulch Diggums, Butler and Juliet (a dwarf and a close friend of theirs) after escaping the robots the get captured by root's brother, but the escape and finally save the day. I would recommend this book only to those who have already read the other artemis fowl books, it is very complex and it confused me a lot the first time I read it. I hope you buy and enjoy this book because I certainly did.
VINE VOICEon 21 August 2010
Spoilers thar be!

I don't know why Artemis Fowl 7 is so below-par and underwhelming. Perhaps Eoin Colfer was under obligation to finish to a deadline before developing any fully-formed ideas or something. Nothing in this book really satisfied me, I'm sorry to say.

Artemis is in Iceland preparing for a demonstration of a new Earth-saving eco-device when a deep space probe falls out of the sky on top of him and his friends. This results in a slow-boiling mental illness coming to a pop and Artemis' personality being succeed by "Orion". With much of their resources depleted or lost, Orion and his usual team of Butler, Juliet, Holly, Foaly and Mulch must find out the whos and whys of the devastating crash.

Colfer's first and foremost failure here is the fact that he just doesn't have enough story to sustain an epic adventure, even (and especially, I should say) one told as quickly as this. The plot is delivered in several, fast-moving, large chunks with very little time for significant development or even a single decent twist. It's all very straight-forward and as with all fast-paced novels/movies coherence is sacrificed for speed. I was frequently lost and confused as to what was going on. I'll also pin some of this blame on the fact that Colfer simply did not describe many scenes very well. On top of this the book ends with nearly all plot threads completely open-ended and multiple unanswered questions.

The globe-trotting nature of the previous books is absent. The story only superficially takes us to Iceland, Cancun and Venice. Most of it takes place inside a submersible pod with very, very little opportunity for epic or exciting scenes.

I hear that Artemis Fowl 8 will be the last one. Colfer seriously needs to get his act together and go out with a bang, not a whimper. He totally phoned this one in. The long woven threads of Minerva, Opal Koboi, Artemis's love for Holly, and his determination to heal the planet need to ALL be explored and closed in book 8.

The only reason this book exists is because you need 7 to get to 8. And for that reason ALONE fans should read it, but we've come to expect a LOT more than this from Eoin Colfer.
on 22 April 2012
Because I`m not a young person I`d never happen to read any book of the Artemis Fowl series. But because I`m addicted to Nathaniel Parker`s voice and reading I have purchased every audiobook of this series and listened to them all several times and really enjoyed them. Maybe it`s mostly because of his marvellous voice and incredibly talented way of doing all the different characters. But I`m also really fascinated for the charming and exciting story of fairies, pixies, dwarfs, goblins and the young criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl and his family and friends.
Lucky me as I got acquainted with this lovely series by Eoin Colfer. The Atlantis Complex is number seven and by now the latest of the series but I hope it`s not the last. What a pity if he`s not going to write any further volumes for it ( for Nathaniel Parker to read! ).
on 6 June 2011
Well; I think I actually have to agree with the majority of the more mid-range reviews on this, and say this is not what I've become accustomed to in the Artemis genre. It simply seems to get stuck in self-indulgent treacle half way through, leaving me struggling to move on with it, or - come to that - maintain an active interest. I've found it really hard to put the Artemis books down when I've started reading them. Up to now, that is. Shame really, but based on this I may have to borrow the last book from the library when it comes out.
on 7 August 2010
Not nearly as good as the others in the series. Artemis spends most of his time unconscious or with a different (and not better) personality. Butler and Mulch Diggums are given very little to do.
Previous outings have had me laughing out loud but this one was hard work.
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2010
Two years since Artemis Fowl and the Time-Paradox, the titular teenage genius is back, and this time with a plan to save the world - a change from his usual various and nefarious criminal activities. The book opens in Iceland, on Artemis' 15th birthday.

At the end of the Time Paradox, things had become hopelessly tangled and complicated (that tends to happen when timestreams are involved), especially between Holly and Artemis. What do you need after that?

Action.

A lot of it.

This a book chock-full of awesome. Here is a list.

- Butler. Does anyone else geek out over at TV Tropes? There is a whole page about AF's crowning moments of awesome. What is great about this series (among all the other things) is that the author never allows literary snobbery to interfere with storytelling.

- The fear of cliché never stops him from writing the baddest, worstest crowning moments of funny. In fact, it's full of CMs: CMs of awesome, funny AND heartwarming.

- Brilliant one-liners: Colfer is master of the hilarious throwaway remark. You have to read `em.

- The relationships: I love the interplays and by-plays between the cast: Artemis and Foaly, Mulch and Artemis, Foaly and Mulch, Holly and Butler, Artemis and Holly - there's a real camaraderie hidden under all the quipping. And they're a bunch of geeks shamelessly geeking out - it's great! Geeking out is almost my professional pastime, and AF hits all my geek buttons whilst also hitting all my fangirl buttons.

- Twins: a glimpse of Artemis' now older twin brothers, in what is the most entertaining side-story of the book.

Artemis has been on the road to reform since the Arctic Incident, when he gets his father back, but old habits die hard. In the Time Paradox, Artemis faced his past self, and this book finds him trying to deal with the consequences of the person he used to be - and making an awful mess, because when magic involves itself, nothing is simple. The story is increasingly psychologically complex; Colfer now addresses the question of motivations and consequences, and the greyness of subjective moralities, with two completely different criminal minds.

In children's books, it takes a kind of editorial bravery to introduce irreversible changes, things that won't be repaired by a deus ex machina to return everything to the happily-ever-after that the reader wants - and this is new ground for the Artemis Fowl books, and I love it. Without giving too much away, what was happening in Artemis' own head was the most complex and satisfying part of the story. I first thought the Atlantis Complex referred to...some fairy mega-corporation in Atlantis. It doesn't.

Mental illness in children's books can't be easy to write authentically, and Colfer does not disrespect his reader - there is no watering down or shying away. Artemis faces it, and you, the reader, face it with him. I find this account extraordinarily nuanced and moving; as Artemis slides into severe obsessive compulsiveness, paranoia, hallucinations, and finally multiple personalities, it's impossible not to feel a kind of cold shock. This can't happen to Artemis.

Every so often, you read a book that is utterly satisfying in almost every way - like meeting an old and dearly-missed friend after a long time. Artemis Fowl and the Atlantis Complex right now is that book. After over a decade of Artemis in my head, I still only want more - I want to know how he'll change. It doesn't answer all the questions - because there will be more. Artemis will be back, and so will Holly, and that's another book.

The great beauty of a serial with child characters is its magnified scope for evolution, where the things that have happened affect and shape what will happen, and where there are no easy answers. It takes you from a child's tumultuous world of growing and changing into one of inconstancy and ambiguity: People do bad things for good reasons; bad things happen to good people. It's life: complicated and multifaceted - and hopeful.
on 14 December 2010
this (pre-last) book of Artemis' adventures seemd quite "dead" to me. There was none of the page turning action i remember from previous books nor, any mystery.
It was a fun read but most of the action takes place in the last 10 pages or so so the whole book before that is pretty much a prologue, setting the scene for what turns out to me a lukewarm encounter of good and evil.
i was rather let down by Colfer but still i will buy the next and final one and see what happens there!
on 5 May 2011
It's a fantastic book.
The story is compelling, intense, and hilarious.

The only downside is in fact that it was too quickly read, and perhaps a bit too short. But then again - I'm a fan. I'd love a book thousand pages long if every page was as action packed, humorous, and intelligent as the pages in this one.

Definitely worth the money!
on 20 April 2012
Eoin is a genius! If you are a fan of the Artemis series, this keeps up with them in all departments..and if your not a fan, BECOME ONE! ;P Don't want to give too much away, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and can't wait for 'The Last Guardian'!
on 10 November 2012
I bought this book for my 14 year old son who has already read the previous ones in this series. He was hooked from the start and really whizzed through it. He really enjoyed his read and wants the next one as soon as possible.