Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2016
Book two of Time riders. As good as the first, with a twist at the end. A recommended read for all age's
on 26 May 2016
Love it
on 6 January 2016
Had high hopes for this book, as l hoped book 1 was just a warm up, so book 2 might be better. Unfortunately it just got even more boring and predictable. Not a bad read (it ticks along), but a brain dead one. Don't even learn much about the history they are in, if that was the hope. Was also excited to see 2 girls as main characters, eg wanted to see Maddy doing some really cool geek stuff, but all she really did was cry and hope someone else would fix the problem that she caused in the first place - Not particularly inspirational for girls.
on 19 December 2015
Love the books and this is known exception good for teenagers and adults
on 10 November 2015
Storyline started weakly but soon grabbed my attention and gripped me right to the end. The ending was a neat trick and now I'm going to read the whole series! (And I'll be 72 next month!!)
on 5 November 2015
My 10 yo boy can't let it done.
on 14 September 2015
My son really likes this series - and I'm encouraging him to read more long novels - so I bought him this book (and the others in the series). I also bought the physical book, to get him used to reading from something other than a screen.

I bought a used copy - and the condition etc was fine.

Be aware that the Timeriders stories are quite violent, with a very high 'body count' and lost of grisly deaths - but most 'childrens novels' are these days.

As stories go, its an interesting enough time travel sci fi tale, and the kids seen to enjoy it. Because its time travel it does require a bit more thought than the average novel to follow the story, which is particularly good if you're trying to use the reading to increase concentration and comprehension.
on 27 June 2015
While the novel's short chapters made this book a fast paced and easy read, I felt that it was a little weaker than the TimeRiders on the whole. It's middle section was a lot slower and it mainly flipped between the Cretaceous Period and 2001, leaving a lot less room for travelling between times.

I also still have some issues with Scarrow's version of time travel. I expect this is a personal gripe as I notice this novel has a huge fan base, but it just didn't make sense to me. It looks like it's a dynamic time travel story, yet no one treats it as such. Why couldn't Maddy or Sal just go back to 20 minutes before the accident and stop Liam from going into the building? Surely that would have caused less damage than allowing him to romp around in pre-history, felling trees and killing dinosaurs.

I also though the unnamed predators lacked some imagination. They're described as looking just like the xenomorphs from Alien (seriously, if you look closely at the cover you can see one of them in the bottom right) and are able to grasp concepts such as love and hindsight, yet can't suss the mechanics of a pointed stick. Seriously Broken Claw, you have claws that can punch holes in prey. Surely you can see that the spears do the same thing?

In terms of characterisation, I felt that Liam got far more than the girls. Through his interaction with Becks, we got to see his caring side and, in turn, it was interesting to see how this affected Becks's growth. The girls still felt like third wheels. Sal barely spoke in this novel and Maddy is still detestable, treating the support units like slabs of meat. I just don't like the way that Scarrow writes women in general - describing Becks as being 87% less efficient than Bob (except in situations that require a female operative...sigh) and making inferences that the female cast on the whole is weaker, more irrational and generally just not useful in a crisis.

All in all, this novel underwhelmed me. I'm hoping it picks up and resolves some of its issues in the next instalment.
on 4 June 2015
A good read
on 2 May 2015
Brilliant book - gripping right from the start