5.0 out of 5 stars My Carnegie Winner (so far!!!)
Published 2 months ago by L Richardson

3.0 out of 5 stars needs to go in room 101
Very shocking and deliberately so. The only purpose of this book to me is to guard vulnerable young people against becoming a victim themselves, in which case, it does retain a place on the shelves.
Published 4 months ago by boogaloiue

5.0 out of 5 stars My Carnegie Winner (so far!!!), 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Kindle Edition)
I'm 11years old and I read this as part of a Carnegie book quiz at the library for my school reading team, and I must say it blew me away. This kind of book is one you remember forever, well in my case anyway. I like reading books about human nature and thought patterns, and it intrigued from the very start: you're a teenager, you live on the streets, and you're suddenly trapped with some older people who are going mad, and a liitle kid to look after. What do you do?

The answer is stay alive. And how? Read and dicover...
An incredibly truthful book, true to everything we would do in that situation. Yes, it's disturbing, but you're not actually that kid are you? Worse things happened in the Holocaust, and still happen now. I say learn from and don't forget this book. Read it. You won't regret it.

p.s. I'd avoid it if you get nightmares

4.0 out of 5 stars a word of caution, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
My son had to read this for a school project. He's 12 years old, very bright and pretty level-headed but this really shook him up: he finished reading it in bed and came downstairs afterwards because he couldn't sleep, and was still very upset the next morning. So I picked up the book and read the last 20 pages or so, and I can see why. It reads very much like a Stephen King short story, and is in no way tempered to suit the younger reader. Now, I'm a huge King fan and started reading him in my mid-teens, and from what I've read of The Bunker Diary it seems very well-written; I'm sure my son will get over it and they'll no doubt have a very interesting discussion in school about it. But please be aware that it's intense, bleak and unsettling. If you're buying it for your child, read it first!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carnegie Medal Winning Masterpiece, 19 July 2014
Mr. Ed "edsheadsaid" (Japan) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
As an English teacher of 12-13 year olds, I am constantly on the look out for challenging novels that will enthuse and hold the attention. I am looking for books that contain mature themes, and deal with harsh realities. The genre is largely irrelevant - I am no snob when it comes to reading - a book is a book!

This book has recently been awarded the Carnegie Medal (2014) for Children's books, and is well deserving of this award. Kevin Brooks stated that 'Children don't need happy endings', and they certainly aren't going to find any in this book.

As an adult, I tore through this incredibly gripping book in a number of hours - 'page turner' is a phrase that could have been invented for 'The Bunker Diary'. My pupils were all similarly engrossed by it, and it provided material for many fruitful and stimulating discussions.

Buy it for your 13-year old, buy it for yourself. You won't be able to put it down, but you won't feel the same by the end!

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark, psychological thriller and exploration of human behaviour, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
A brave, powerful book which went places I didn't expect it to. Definitely not for younger readers, or for those who want everything explained at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars needs to go in room 101, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground-breaking, gripping, harrowing, and very bleak. Probably not for younger readers., 30 July 2014
lilysmum "lilysmum65" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
This is a very powerful and disturbing book but it has proved extremely popular with my Year 8 class. A lot of them have requested a copy. It is a deserving winner of the Carnegie in my view, even though I can see why it took so long to get published, because it is unremittingly bleak and grim.

Linus is a 15 year old lad who is abducted and imprisoned in an underground bunker. He appears to be help prisoner and gradually comes to learn how best to survive, at the whim of his captor. Over the following days, five more "inmates" are incarcerated alongside Linus, including a young girl and an elderly man. The captor, who is never seen or heard, tortures his prisoners and seemingly enjoys their sufferings. He deprives them of food, and also encourages them to attack each other. It is this aspect of the book that is most disturbing. There is no sense of altruism except perhaps from Linus himself.

I do think this book needs handling with care and not recommending to all youngsters - however, teens do know what sort of books they are ready to read and whilst for some it wouldn't appeal, for others who are questioning the purpose of life, they are ready to explore these issues with the help of a bleak book like this one.

Brooks is famous for the philosophical ideas he carefully adds into his narratives and I think that's what gives this book its heft.

A remarkable, ground-breaking book, and one that will haunt you, no matter how young or old you are!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, but Utterly Disturbing!, 3 July 2013
Rating: 6/10

The Bunker Diary is a brilliantly written novel. This is the first book I've read by Kevin Brooks, and I have to say that he's a very talented author. The synopsis caught my attention for this novel. It seemed mysterious and creepy. I was intrigued to find out more. So I bought it and started reading straight away.

Right from the beginning The Bunker Diary was a page turner. I was up 'till all hours reading. It had such a mysterious story line, and I couldn't put it down. A very gripping novel during the beginning. But about halfway through the book the story line started to get a bit bland. I was always expecting something to happen, something big, but nothing did. Very clever, Kevin Brooks. But not clever enough. You everything was building up for a climax, but we were disappointed. You left us stranded. And that's when The Bunker Diary started to bore me.

"I thought he was blind. That's how he got me."

It was at that point, halfway through the book, that I realised that there weren't any twists, and it didn't look like there would be. The situation the characters were in didn't seem to be changing one bit. But I still had that little bit of hope that the ending would make up for this. That Kevin Brooks purposefully kept us waiting for a spectacular finale. I was wrong.

The ending left me disappointed and quite disturbed. It was a very unsatisfying ending. I felt empty after finishing The Bunker Diary. If there was even an epilogue to give us some closure. It was very disappointing and left me feeling pretty bad, because I probably would have liked the book a lot better if the ending was a satisfying one.

Why? We never found out the answer to that question in the story. Why were six people kidnapped and placed in a bunker, trapped? Was it just a sadistic man trying to have some fun? Was it a cult rebelling against the community? We'll never know, and it kills me. It kills me because I had hoped that we would at least have been left with an explanation for the mysterious story line. Kevin Brooks, why? Why didn't you give us a proper ending?

"He's watching us."

The Bunker Diary was extremely disturbing and creepy. The idea of the story line sends chills down my spine. It's a phycological thriller that's actually quite scary at times, just the overall idea of the situation in the story. And the ending made it all the more disturbing. It was realistic novel, but I would've like to have a little insight to the after-effects of the story.

The characters in The Bunker Diary are brilliantly developed. Especially the main character, Linus, who narrated the novel through the writing in his diary, hence the title. Their personalities were realistic and that made it a much more enjoyable read. I liked the diverse personalities Brooks included in the story. Again, it made everything more realistic.

Overall, The Bunker Diary is a disturbingly chilling novel. Not my favourite, because of the frustrating ending, but can't deny that it was a page turner. Kevin Brooks writing style is truly amazing and I admire the way The Bunker Diary was written. The Bunker Diary is not the kind of book that you read again and again, it's a one-read-wonder.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished!, 6 Aug 2014
C. Bulman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
This novel certainly engaged the attention most of the way through. It concerns six people who are kidnapped and kept in a disused bunker by an unknown kidnapper. They are not a harmonious group and arguments and fights break out. One of them, the narrator, attempts to escape, fails, and they are all punished buy food deprivation, loud noises, etc. The novel has considerable suspense but ultimately is extremely disappointing. We never find out who the kidnapper is or what his motive was or why he chose this disparate group of six. We also don't find out much about the members of the group except the narrator who provides details of his background. The narrator's diary begins to fade out at the end and we can assume that he like the others will just die. The biggest failure of this novel is that the writer quite clearly had no idea how to resolve the suspense. I'm not suggesting there should have been a happy ending, but basically this was a cop-out. For someone who wants a really ingenious kidnap story with a really good and believable twist ending I would recommend "The Collector" by John Fowles.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot to say..., 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Kindle Edition)
I am 13 and this was suggested to me at a library lesson in school, as my librarian know I enjoy books about distopia. However, although I was utterly gripped by this book it did have some flaws.
For a start, when things happened in this book, they happened. It made you want to turn each page quicker and quicker every time, however when nothing went on, nothing went on. When nothing big was happening in the bunker it was rather boring and mainly just went on about hunger and other things, although what else is there go on about? Escape attempts wouldn't work in reality and if they did in the book it would be totally far fetched, and this is quite a realistic book.

Also,I found it very disturbing. The start was good and intriguing but the last quarter of the book just got more disturbing and horrifying. I rather foolishly, knowing this book was a thriller, read it at night and although I was sharing a room with my brother as we were on holiday, every noise made me jump and I was on edge as I fell asleep. I didn't really know how I felt after finishing the book; happy, sad, scared. But I was definitely disturbed.

Also, Brooks uses hope smartly to keep you reading. Towards the end of the book with the turn if every page I was convinced that the next page would bring an escape, or something to leave the book with a happy ending. It didn't. The end of the book upset me because after the whole book, after the whole 2+ months you read with Linus, nothing happens, despite the hope, nothing happens.
I can only assume from the last four pages that Linus, rather sadly goes mad. Mad with loneliness, mad with fear, mad with hunger, mad with thirst.
And on the last page there is no go finishing sentence. It just finishes in he middle of the sentence, quite realistically yet disturbingly- like it would in reality.
The reason I think The Bunker Diary shouldn't have won the Carnegie children's book award is because I thing it is too mature and disturbing to be a child's book. I think it would have deserved another award but just not a children's one.
It is for sure 13+ and if you are planning of buying it as a gift for your/a child be sure to read it first if you have the time or look up many reviews. Other wise, a greater book, I really did enjoy reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something more than YA Fiction, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Kindle Edition)
You can rip through this tale very quickly. People say they read it in a couple of hours. For me, I didn't want it to end, so took a bit longer. And I took a bit longer, actually, because the thought of what might happen in the very end was quite terrifying. Much has been said about whether this ought to be 'Young Adult' fiction or not, and I can see why. It's better described as something more - one of the new genre but not quite conventional adult fiction. No spoilers here. But two things: the protagonist is a young man and the content is disturbing yet totally realistic, and, Brooks writes this so well, not only is the plot totally realistic, it's also totally believable. If, like me, you're a parent, a word of warning about the language, maybe, although the effin' and jeffin' are fitting in this context. Brooks is getting better and better, for sure.

The Bunker Diary
The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks (Paperback - 7 Mar 2013)
5.59