5.0 out of 5 stars My Carnegie Winner (so far!!!)
Published 12 months ago by Stella Richardson

Warning: Unusually for one of my reviews - contains spoilers. If you want to read this novel and don't want to know what happens then don't;

(1) - Read my review
(2) - Read any of the publicity about the award of the Carnegie Medal to this book
(3) - Read the book's blurb or title!!

“You were so busy thinking about whether you could...
Published 10 months ago by Andrew D Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars My Carnegie Winner (so far!!!), 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Kindle Edition)
I'm 11years old and I read this as part of a Carnegie book quiz at the library for my school reading team, and I must say it blew me away. This kind of book is one you remember forever, well in my case anyway. I like reading books about human nature and thought patterns, and it intrigued from the very start: you're a teenager, you live on the streets, and you're suddenly trapped with some older people who are going mad, and a liitle kid to look after. What do you do?

The answer is stay alive. And how? Read and dicover...
An incredibly truthful book, true to everything we would do in that situation. Yes, it's disturbing, but you're not actually that kid are you? Worse things happened in the Holocaust, and still happen now. I say learn from and don't forget this book. Read it. You won't regret it.

p.s. I'd avoid it if you get nightmares

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking... I Can't Even Find The Words..., 19 April 2013
4½ Out of 5
"I thought he was blind. That's how he got me. I still can't believe I fell for it. I keep playing it over in my mind, hoping I'll do something different, but it always turns out the same..."
"A thousand questions have streamed through my head.
Where am I? Where's the blind man? Who is he? What does he want? What's he going to do to me? What am I going to do?
I don't know..."
Linus was living on the streets, living rough. But that doesn't mean he was rough. When he saw the blind guy struggling, he went and helped.
Linus didn't see it coming.
One minute, he's helping this blind man. The next, there's a cloth of chloroform over his mouth.
And the next... he's here. Wherever here is. It's underground (he thinks), has no windows, no doors out, no ways out. It's inescapable.
And he can't figure out what this man wants. Why the hell he's doing this to Linus. The best theory he has is that the guy found out who Linus' dad is and kidnapped him for ransom.
That theory? Yeah, it goes out the window (or it would if there were one) when the others start showing up...
Some books... some books are just impossible to put into words. Impossible to find the words for them. The Bunker Diary was exactly that book. It is literally everyone's worst nightmare put to paper. Someone, you don't know who, snatches you and leaves you in a windowless, doorless building. You don't know where, you don't know why and you don't know what he's going to do to you... Reading The Bunker Diary was utterly terrifying, horrible and awful. It was also utterly amazing. Stunning. It's one of those books you start reading and instantly find yourself hooked. You will read it in one go, heart-pounding, terrified, in awe, hooked. In fact I'm not even sure I can say much without giving it all away. But it was stunning. Incredible. Horrible. Amazing. You will read it and be one-hundred-per-cent hooked, start to finish. And Oh. My. God. Just... God... I have no words...
The characters in this book, well, they all felt really, really real. Some I liked. Some I hated. All were totally and utterly real to me. Just off the page. I may not have known much about any of their pasts or whatever but I felt them all...
I really liked Linus. He was a strong character: brave - definitely a hell of a lot braver than I would've been in his place. He was so together - so strong and calm. I loved how we slowly learned this, slowly got to know him. The way it happened slowly - like we were gaining his trust. And even then, he held things back. After all: who knows who'd be reading this diary?
Jenny was really sweet. Out of all of them, she was the one who deserved it least - she was so young, so sweet, so innocent. So brave. And I loved the relationship between her and Linus - it was really sweet. Like brother and sister. And unlike all the other relationships in this book, it was pure. Y'know? Not bitter or anything. They kept one another going.
I really loved Russell. I HATED Bird. Like actual, physical hate. He was so annoying and horrible and just ugh! I wasn't a fan of Anja either. Fred was ok...
And I thought the group dynamics were totally believable. I mean, they didn't all get along. You throw a whole load of various people in together, they aren't gonna get along like a house on fire. I mean, have you seen I'm A Celebrity? So there was bickering - and quite a lot of it. It was, in a totally sick way, intriguing to watch these so very different personalities interact under the intense pressure. Horrible, yes, but interesting. Especially the enemy started screwing with them. Playing games. Messing with their heads. Could you hold out - keep fighting, stay together - with a psychopath pulling at your strings? Can Linus and the others? Read and find out, my friends...
As for Him, "The Man Upstairs. Mister Crazy. The Man With No Name," he was terrifying. Horrible. Despicable. I mean, who does that?! Seriously. What kinda person do you have to be? Off topic, I found it really interesting that Linus referred to him as "Him". Why? Because generally when we use a capital for 'Him' we're talking about God... *I start to ponder again*
The writing was, quite frankly, stunning. I was hooked from the word go. I could hear Linus' voice in my head, I felt what he did, felt the anger and fear and desperation. I was tugged in, held there, never let go, not once. Not even left go when I'd read the last word and put the book down. Some of Brooks' words.... they just stayed. Right there in my head, lingering.
Oh, and I loved the voice changed depending on what Linus was going through. That was pure genius on Brooks' part.
This plot. My God! Talk about terrifying. It was suspenseful, to say the least. What made the whole story even worse was that nothing really happened. It's not like a serial killer book, where the bad guy whips out a knife and kills a whole bunch of people. No, this book was about the fear. The fear of what could happen. What new psychological torture the beep is gonna wreak on you. And I never knew what would happen next - never knew what the next sick trick would be. Just never knew. The plot: god, I never saw anything coming ever. And that ending.... Oh. My. Freaking. God. I just... God. Whoa. Man. Horrible. And so different from usual YA endings too...
But what made this book stunning was the horrifying reality it had. People go missing all the time. Kidnapped. Taken. Tortured. Killed. Children. Teenagers. Adults. Rich. Poor. No one's safe. That is why it is so very terrifying - and why The Bunker Diary really, truly packed one hell of a punch. It's stunning. Hard hitting. Unputdownable.
This book... Just, God. I can't, can't even... Just can't. Can't stop thinking about it. Can't get it out of my head. Can't get over it, not when my hearts still racing like this. Can't find the words. Can't do it justice. Can't. Just, can't...
Sorry, I'm not being very eloquent here... It's just, some books, you can't find the words - not when it's spinning around in your head, taking over your thoughts. You just can't seem to find the words. So all I'll say is: Yes, The Bunker Diary is terrifying and horrible and shocking and has left me speechless and possibly a little mentally scarred, but you... you just have to read it. It is incredible. In a horrible way, it is utterly and irrevocably incredible. I can't recommend it enough really.

4.0 out of 5 stars a word of caution, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
My son had to read this for a school project. He's 12 years old, very bright and pretty level-headed but this really shook him up: he finished reading it in bed and came downstairs afterwards because he couldn't sleep, and was still very upset the next morning. So I picked up the book and read the last 20 pages or so, and I can see why. It reads very much like a Stephen King short story, and is in no way tempered to suit the younger reader. Now, I'm a huge King fan and started reading him in my mid-teens, and from what I've read of The Bunker Diary it seems very well-written; I'm sure my son will get over it and they'll no doubt have a very interesting discussion in school about it. But please be aware that it's intense, bleak and unsettling. If you're buying it for your child, read it first!

2.0 out of 5 stars A challenging piece of art work, but not a story. Stopping isn't an ending., 1 Sept. 2014
Andrew D Wright "Andrew W." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

(1) - Read my review
(3) - Read the book's blurb or title!!

“You were so busy thinking about whether you could do it, you forget to ask yourself whether you should!”

Dr Ian Malcolm, Jeff Goldblum’s character in Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park movie.

Brooks is a great writer. But…

There’s been a lot written about this book. A Carnegie medal winner garnering as much acclaim as moral outrage. Both are misplaced I think. The moral outrage is mostly generated by people who haven’t even read the book. And a lot of it is just patronising; “oh protect the little children from, the dark…” kind of commentary. But equally the medal does seem to have been given to a controversial choice to make a splash. Great marketing for Brooks and Penguin. There is absolutely, definitely something that is daring and ground-breaking here. A masterpiece possibly, but actually, an unfinished one (I’ll come back to that later) The writing is compelling. There is a strong and powerful voice here. Kevin Brooks is a great writer. The scenario is compelling too. The characterisation is excellent and the protagonist is well drawn, believable, sympathetic. We are rooting for him within two pages. Poor Linus, poor, poor Linus.

The conceit is described perfectly by the title; these are the diaries of someone kidnapped and held against their will in an inescapable bunker. Linus is our voice in the darkness. He is kidnapped from Liverpool Street station where he’s been living rough on the street and wakes up in a six-roomed underground bunker. He’s on his own down there for a few days and then Jenny, a nine year old girl turns up. People arrive in the bunker via a lift which comes down every morning at 8am, mostly empty, sometimes with newcomers until the bunker reaches capacity. Six people. They’re all kidnapped in various ways, most chloroformed unconscious and bound in a wheelchair and placed in the lift. We never meet their kidnapper.

With Linus and Jenny there’s Anya (a twenty-something socialite), Fred (drug and alcohol addict) William Bird (banker type) and finally, the last to be kidnapped and join those incarcerated is Russell. So, two children - Jenny and Linus - four adults, Russell is the oldest, 70. This is notionally a book for Young Adults because Linus is the protagonist, but it is actually a book about the horror of being incarcerated in the dark without hope. And that’s the key, there is no hope. At some point, about halfway through, we begin to understand that there is going to be no escape, no solution to why they’ve been taken. Not a pretty book. Not a nice book. Actually, not a story at all really, more a study in misery and horror and nastiness. It’s like celebrity big brother or one of those Victorian freak shows, you don’t want to watch but prurience and open-jawed fascination keeps you going. But not a story. Resoundingly not a story (again I’ll come to that). Because stories require resolution. Not a happy ending, not always, not a nice smiley lobotomised ending, but, but definitely an ending. A story that doesn’t end is, actually, not a story at all. It is unfinished.

This is more art than story, more Kevin Brooks sticking forks in his narrative legs and then putting a bag over his head and wrapping stones around himself and then jumping into a well and then sinking down and down and down just to see what it’s like. It takes commitment and energy to write stuff this dark and I’m sure Kevin a lovely man, but you need to finish the book mate. Dark. Nasty. Horrific. A horror book. But not a fun horror book (if you now what I mean) like a Stephen King where it’s make-believe, supernatural, scary, spooky and horror-filled that is entertaining. This is a car crash viewed across the other carriage way, we shouldn’t look but there’s a piece of us that wants to. This is horror without the story, horror to the level of festishistic (have no problem with horror per se as long as it sits within a story).

It fits the definition of art most certainly, in that it challenges you. Makes you think; mostly actually, how can someone write this stuff? But a story, not really, because it’s like a severed limb, there isn’t shape we recognise at the end of it. Don’t read it would be my advice, it’s not pretty. There’s murder, human despicableness and deep, deep misery. I admire the skill and talent in this book, the man is clearly a master at what he does. But and it’s a big but…why? What is the point? Really. Hats off to Mr Brooks that he can be so nasty to his characters, and yes I know the world is horrible and nasty things happen, but I want a story that offers me something, not even something as twee as hope, but something. Six people in a bunker with little food and no hope. What do we think’s going to happen? We’re intelligent people. We are. Come on. Guess. I’ve asked ten people this question. They have all answered; “Sounds to me like they all die!” Home run. Well that’s this book. Unrelentingly horrible. And just when you think it can’t get any more horrible it then goes and gets worse. Life ends in tears. Life ends in the middle of sentences. Stories end with resolutions. Otherwise they’re not stories.

If I contrast this with Emma Donoghue’s equally well-regarded Room - again written in the first person by one of the incarcerated (a 5 yr old) - the Bunker Diaries and Kevin Brooks miss the point of fiction I think. Fiction is about a story, with a structure, with a resolution, it doesn’t have to be a happy ending (think Handmaid’s Tale or The Fault In Our Stars) but it does have to end in a manner than brings ends together in some fashion. Life is ragged and stops without an end sometimes, people die all the time in the middle of the sentence of their lives. And people in a Bunker can do this too, but we, the reader, need to be offered something more from a story than a sentence finishing in the middle. That might be art, but it is vicious and nasty and actually, a bit lazy. No resolution. Uh? Hey, didn’t you forget something? Our questions are not answered, we’re just left looking at a bloody, horrific scene endlessly. So, poor, poor Linus our protag.. And, whilst I deeply admire Kevin Brooks literary prowess and he certainly deserves the acclaim for all of his skills, please, not for this book. No. This book is like a punch in the face from a stranger who runs away and is never caught. Pointless, painful, shocking and utterly unnecessary.

In defending this book Kevin Brooks has said "Children don't need happy endings." Fine. Agree. Some of the best and most powerful stories don't have them. But children do need endings - resolutions. This book stops, it doesn't end. An avant-garde art work in Tate Modern that the painter "didn't finish" as an act of art, you know half a canvas or the left-hand side of of sculpture, they'd be art, they wouldn't be stories.

It will be a while before I pick up another Kevin Brooks book. Staring into bleakness and not blinking is certainly a skill he has in spades, but is it one we need actually? We need the gorgeous joy of a well-told story, not some kind of punch-me-in-the-stomach game of misery depiction that takes us down into the dark with no way out. The bunker prisoners didn’t even need to escape, Kevin, you can have all the suffering you like, but give us some kind of resolution, Margaret Atwood does it brilliantly in the Handmaid’s Tale without the emotional power of the trauma of the protagonist’s horrific experience being lost. Or have a look at Sara Mussi’s excellent Siege, as bleak, as gritty and as dark - but it still gives us a resolution; review for Siege is here. Bunker Diaries needs to go back to the writer. The note for Kevin from me would read.

Brilliant stuff so far. Superb writing. Great set-up. Could even win the Carnegie! Now; finish it. No, I don’t want happy or hopeful necessary but the reader must have a resolution for this to be a story. How, you ask? You’re the writer, use your imagination.

As Dr Ian Malcolm says, to reprise;

PS - An interesting question is if there was a resolution beyond Linus’s horror would it have won the Carnegie? Possibly not. Which is interesting in its own right. Publicity over story-telling? Maybe. But does that mean publicity and art trump story-telling? This is art, it got me thinking and responding but the controversy of the Carnegie medal is around the lack of a story for me, not in moralising about dark and difficult fiction. Children’s fiction stories win Carnegie. This isn’t a finished story. Not yet.

But what do I know? Really.

** 2 Stars (not a story yet)

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark, psychological thriller and exploration of human behaviour, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
A brave, powerful book which went places I didn't expect it to. Definitely not for younger readers, or for those who want everything explained at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tense, chilling and award winning YA horror, 4 July 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
Teenager Linus Weems has been living rough in London for the last five months after running away from boarding school. Estranged from his father (the rich and famous Charlie Ween, who created a hit cartoon series but has been emotionally and physically remote since the death of Linus's mother), Charlie knows how to keep his head down. When a blind man whose arm is in a sling asks Linus to help put something in a transit van, he's cautious but thinks the man is harmless.

He's wrong.

Overpowered and drugged, he wakes up in a concrete bunker. The only way in or out is through a lift controlled by his kidnapper. Cameras are dotted around the bunker to keep him under observation. If he tries to escape, he's gassed or electrocuted. But there are six rooms in the bunker and Linus's kidnapper isn't finished yet ...

Kevin Brooks's dark YA horror is a tense, chilling read with a stomach-churning ending that lingers long after you finish and I can see why it won the 2014 Cilip Carnegie Medal. Sparse and haunting it focuses on Linus and his thoughts about his situation, his attempts to escape and shows what can happen when a group of strangers are forced into close proximity in terrifying circumstances. If you're looking for a happy ending then this isn't the book for you and younger readers or those who are sensitive should probably give it a miss too. However, if you're a Brooks fan then you know what you're in for and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The use of the diary format is a little contrived but nonetheless effective, allowing Linus to reflect on his past as well as his current situation. The introduction of Jenny, Fred, Bird, Anja and Russell helps to provide more details of what the kidnapper is doing but raises more questions as well and I must confess that I would have liked to see each developed more than they are as some (Bird, Anja and Fred in particular) are rather stock. I enjoyed the fact that so much is left unexplained but I can see that some readers would find it frustrating. The rivalries and friendships that form between the six also provide tension and emotional depth and make the ending even more heart breaking. Ultimately though, this is an effective and devastating book that deserves its plaudits.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's sad, it's cruel, it's chilling, but it's so beautiful at times, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
Have you ever read a book that completely broke your heart but you still loved every second of it? That's how I felt about The Bunker Diary. It's sad, it's cruel, it's chilling, but it's so beautiful at times.

The idea behind the story reminded me a little of the Saw movies. Random people thrown into an empty building and being surrounded by security cameras everywhere they go. They're pieces in a sick mastermind's even sicker game and we have no idea why or what they might have done to deserve this. The Bunker Diary is something very similar. A young guy - our main character and narrator - called Linus is kidnapped and wakes up in an underground bunker. And then day by day, six other people arrive. They don't know each other, they have nothing in common, and they have no idea why they're held captive. All they know is that their captor's cameras follow their every step twenty-four hours a day and their conversations are being tapped. And that's it.

How do you get out of such a place? How do you survive? How on earth did you end up there, anyway?

Needless to say, the book is just impossible to put down. I literally read it in one sitting, biting my nails all the way to the end. I had no idea how they would get out of there or why they were kidnapped in the first place and I was desperately looking for answers. And when it all came to an end, I didn't know what to think. I was waiting for an explanation, a neatly wrapped up story and what I got was its exact opposite. Nothing's explained and nothing's wrapped up. Linus's last diary entry (which made me cry buckets) is very clear and straightforward in terms of the group and their chances of survival but we don't know anything about their killer and his motives.

This ending really bugged me at first but despite being left in the dark, it's kind of beautiful in its own way. And so is Linus's and Jenny's friendship, which was one of my favourite things about this story. I just loved how a guy who's been trying to find a meaning in life for such a long time and never really had a loving family finds a true friend under the worst circumstances one can imagine. It's such a beautiful element in an otherwise chilling and gruesome story.

Although I would have loved to have answers to all those questions that are going through your head when you're reading the story, I still found it utterly brilliant. Linus and Jenny will no doubt stay with me for a long time and when I feel strong enough I will definitely read their story again. If you're not easily offended and you're looking for a fast-paced thriller, do pick it up. If you're anything like me, you're going to love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, thrilling and amazing, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
Linus was a fantastic protagonist and a wonderful narrator. His voice is very unique and his personality shines through. The Bunker Diary is told in diary form, as the title would suggest. Linus begins by telling the reader where he is, or where he thinks he is, and the events which led him to be there. Linus is from a semi-wealthy family but has been living rough on the streets of London. You don't get to find out why until later in the book. He explains that he woke up somewhere that only has six rooms, that he was drugged and he has no idea why or who would want to do that to him.

Linus' strong voice made it possible to really understand the situation he was in. The first few chapters were non-stop and very exciting. Linus panics a lot during the beginning of the book and rightly so. His fear and worries were what made everything so tense. Not only that though, Brooks' descriptive writing helps the reader to picture the hell hole that Linus is stuck in. With the diary style narrative, Brooks gives short sentences, short paragraphs, bits that don't really go with anything else and I loved his style of writing in this book. I found it to be different from his other books but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

As there are six rooms, it was inevitable that more people would be joining Linus. I wasn't sure whether I was going to like this at first but when they started to arrive, I decided that I loved the mix of characters and personalities. Everyone stuck there with Linus was very different from the next person and all come from a variety of backgrounds. This worked well for a number of reasons but mainly the personalities clashing was what made this book even more exciting. This is where The Bunker Diary began to remind me of the Saw films. With someone watching above somewhere, people put together for some kind of reason and a whole range of other things happening instantly made me think of the film series.

The Bunker Diaries was scarier than I imagined it to be. I think the levels of scariness all depends on what scares you though. For me, there were a couple of parts in particular that I really couldn't handle. I was reading this while on a train home and I had to shut it numerous times. If I had been at home, I would have put it in the freezer for a bit because some parts were just that scary for me. Kevin Brooks' writing has the ability to make your heart pound, for you to be scared witless of what will happen next and for you to have hope for his characters.

The ending of this book was a complete shocker and it had me absolutely stunned. While the ending wasn't expected, I'm still a little on the fence as to whether I liked it or not. So many things were left unanswered but it also left me thinking about what the outcome could have been for a long time after I finished reading the book.

Kevin Brooks has done it again. The Bunker Diary was a fantastic read and one which had me from the first page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and thought-provoking, 6 Mar. 2013
Michelle Cardozo (Wokingham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bunker Diary (Paperback)
I am such a huge fan of Kevin Brooks and I was immediately excited to hear of this latest book, The Bunker Diary, especially as it has been billed as 'Room meets Lord of the Flies.' All I'd really heard about the book before I sat down to read it is that it's pretty terrifying... and while that is definitely true, I also really loved how much this book made me think and the emotion that it stirred up as I went flying through its pages! Kevin Brooks is an amazing author, and The Bunker Diary is a very hard-hitting, thought-provoking and scary book!

The Bunker Diary is, as the title suggests, told in a diary format. We're told this story from the perspective of a teenage boy, Linus who, though from a wealthy family. has been living it rough on the streets for the past few months after falling out with his father. One day he's helping a blind man lifting some boxes into a van and later, he wakes up in this bunker, having been drugged. The bunker is sealed tight with six bedrooms fully bugged and only one lift to get in and out.

It's these first few chapters that I found the most heart-stopping and tense. I felt myself quite easily imagining myself in Linus' position, completely powerless and helpless. He's stuck in a place in which he has no control over, he's completely isolated and vulnerable. The panic that he feels at the beginning is so tangible that I felt my chest constrict in fear and my own heart beat start racing.

I did think that perhaps once more characters started arriving to fill out these further bedrooms that things might take a turn for the not-so-scary and thus my enjoyment might fade. But actually, I really liked what the other characters bring to the story. With little snippets of information brought in by the other people kidnapped, I found it hugely interesting to see how differently the media represents the missing (especially in the case of a pretty and young girl) as well as how these people from different walks of life interact with each other and cope with these very difficult circumstances. I wondered if I'd be the type of person who tried to make the best of things, if I'd be the type to hoard food and think only of my own survival and comfort or if I'd be like Linus, constantly thinking of ways to escape and trick The Man Upstairs.

And The Man Upstairs is a fascinating character, one that really made me stop and think. It's very easy to read this story as a straight thriller with the choppy sentences and tense atmosphere, but at times, especially with The Man Upstairs, I did wonder if Kevin Brooks really had something a bit more in mind. Not everyone is going to love the open-ended conclusion to The Bunker Diary but I thought it was chilling and intense. This book really got under my skin and gave me chills to read. Amazing stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, but Utterly Disturbing!, 3 July 2013
Rating: 6/10

The Bunker Diary is a brilliantly written novel. This is the first book I've read by Kevin Brooks, and I have to say that he's a very talented author. The synopsis caught my attention for this novel. It seemed mysterious and creepy. I was intrigued to find out more. So I bought it and started reading straight away.

Right from the beginning The Bunker Diary was a page turner. I was up 'till all hours reading. It had such a mysterious story line, and I couldn't put it down. A very gripping novel during the beginning. But about halfway through the book the story line started to get a bit bland. I was always expecting something to happen, something big, but nothing did. Very clever, Kevin Brooks. But not clever enough. You everything was building up for a climax, but we were disappointed. You left us stranded. And that's when The Bunker Diary started to bore me.

"I thought he was blind. That's how he got me."

It was at that point, halfway through the book, that I realised that there weren't any twists, and it didn't look like there would be. The situation the characters were in didn't seem to be changing one bit. But I still had that little bit of hope that the ending would make up for this. That Kevin Brooks purposefully kept us waiting for a spectacular finale. I was wrong.

The ending left me disappointed and quite disturbed. It was a very unsatisfying ending. I felt empty after finishing The Bunker Diary. If there was even an epilogue to give us some closure. It was very disappointing and left me feeling pretty bad, because I probably would have liked the book a lot better if the ending was a satisfying one.

Why? We never found out the answer to that question in the story. Why were six people kidnapped and placed in a bunker, trapped? Was it just a sadistic man trying to have some fun? Was it a cult rebelling against the community? We'll never know, and it kills me. It kills me because I had hoped that we would at least have been left with an explanation for the mysterious story line. Kevin Brooks, why? Why didn't you give us a proper ending?

"He's watching us."

The Bunker Diary was extremely disturbing and creepy. The idea of the story line sends chills down my spine. It's a phycological thriller that's actually quite scary at times, just the overall idea of the situation in the story. And the ending made it all the more disturbing. It was realistic novel, but I would've like to have a little insight to the after-effects of the story.

The characters in The Bunker Diary are brilliantly developed. Especially the main character, Linus, who narrated the novel through the writing in his diary, hence the title. Their personalities were realistic and that made it a much more enjoyable read. I liked the diverse personalities Brooks included in the story. Again, it made everything more realistic.

Overall, The Bunker Diary is a disturbingly chilling novel. Not my favourite, because of the frustrating ending, but can't deny that it was a page turner. Kevin Brooks writing style is truly amazing and I admire the way The Bunker Diary was written. The Bunker Diary is not the kind of book that you read again and again, it's a one-read-wonder.

The Bunker Diary
The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks (Paperback - 7 Mar. 2013)