4.0 out of 5 stars A return to the world of Percy Jackson, but with new characters and new twists!
I came late to the original Percy Jackson series, and was therefore able to read them all close together. I found myself lost in the world that Rick Riordan had created, easily picturing Camp Half Blood, and enjoying all the characters we were introduced to.

I admit to feeling a little lost after the series finished, so I was excited to find out that Rick had...
Published on 28 Nov 2010 by Michelle Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Hero - Audio CD
This is not a review of the book. This a review of the audio CD. Anyone who wants to read a review of the book to find out if they like the story should go to the book reviews.

This is a review to congratulate the listening library for choosing someone who is completely unable to read out loud. I know he can adapt his voice for different characters (though...
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by mad hatter

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Hero Review, 27 Dec 2010
I have only read the review so far but I am already sucked into the book! Another brilliant book by Rick Riordan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero, 6 Nov 2010
Joanne (SKELMERSDALE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The story line was great and excellent carry over from the Percy Jackson series. Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow-up to the Percy Jackson series, 28 Oct 2010
Meerkat (Dereham, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I agree with the previous reviewer - it's a hard act to follow, but Rick Riordan does it brilliantly.
The style is different - the 'voice' that narrated the Percy Jackson stories has gone, as has Percy himself, but many of the other characters remain to take the story forward. This time it's narrated by the 3 main characters, but with an omniscient narrator over-view, so we don't 'hear' their voices as such. This book introduces Jason, a demi-god who seems to know the Olympians by their Roman names and has SPQR tattooed on his forearm. He also has no memory of who he is or where he came from. He's joined by spiky Piper who has a most unexpected apotheosis by the campfire at Camp Half-Blood. And Leo, who is burdened with terrible guilt over the death of his mother and his own powers, which he feels he has to conceal. These three parallel the three original characters in the Percy books (Percy himself, Annabeth and Grover), but Riordan makes these three more tragic and more damaged characters.
As in the previous books, the three demi-gods have to undertake a perilous quest to save the Olympian gods (who've messed up again!), and with very little time to do it in or any idea what exactly they have to do or how to do it.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 'Percy' series and would highly recommend this book to anyone who also enjoyed the 'Percy' series. It carries the story on from the end of the last 'Percy' book, so if anyone hasn't read those yet - go back to the start - you won't regret it.

1.0 out of 5 stars The frustration of limited knowledge search engines, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus Book 1) (Paperback)
I feel like a terrible kill-joy, to rain on the obvious and thorough pleasure generated by this series. I give one star. BUT I had rather deliberately tried to find ficitonalized roman-grecco myths for adult or rather, mature readers. As soon as I scanned the first chapter, I knew I'd messed the the age range was incorrect. I had even done the (idiotic) thing to search by "Adult books and greek mythology" - the error is as obvious to anyone else as it should have been to me. My SPAM blockers soared. So many regrets!

To honour the positive reviews I stayed with first book for 125 pages, then collapsed in frustration and asked for refund on all 3 books. Yet if anyone recognizes this complaint, you will understand why my latest phrase is, "It's that generational thing...". That is the Great Divide between the under 30s and all the rest of us. You know, the ones who celebrate a perpetual motion of upgrading technology vs. those of us who still don't quite get what could possibly be the need for such a high-tech skill set. Maybe in a specialism, but on a broad base consumer level this kind of sophistication just does not add-up. How is it that kids who cannot spell and never read a book can skate the techno-ice rink as sleekly as MY elders!

What I see are perhaps very well educated young people who nonetheless feel entirely comfortable mid-conversation to avert their eyes and furiously pound out text messages on a hapless keypad. They sometimes look as if they are trying to stop a nuclear launch. It makes for awkward conversation.

Bottom line, while it's a very positive thing to try and draw young people into the world of mythology I found the weaving in of contemporary mores/characters off-putting. That is just a difference in taste. But I invested serious time trying to avoid that very formula and was annoyed and frustrated to find them on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars oh my gods when is the sequel comin out?????, 18 Oct 2010
rick riodan has just completed just about the hardest task for an author- continuing a series for about 8 years, adding new characters, rebranding the focus on the plot wth new heroes, i nearly started cryimg when i finished thebok becase i wanted more.

3.0 out of 5 stars book, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus Book 1) (Paperback)
I have bought this for my daughter and it is one that i shall never read as it is not for me But it is what she wanted it came almost be return post free good product

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, 19 Feb 2013
i read all the percy jackson, they are brill, but this! i hate jason, dont like piper.....leos ok..but it is so annoying i used to get irritated be people saying a good book was bad, THIS IS BAD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 18 Oct 2010
Another great book in this series. I loved the new roman part to the series and I found this book extremely hard to put down, just like all the other books in this series. Thank you Rick Riordan for writing these books and please make sure you write the next one fast because I can't wait!

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING, 20 Feb 2012
No it int cause its long its caus its rubbish! Hes startin to run out of ideas and its getting BORING. My advise dont get it guys!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Nov 2010
A Kid's Review
I absolutely loved the Percy Jackson Series, but the ending doesn't really tie up all the loose ends - such as Percy's relationship with Annabeth, what lies ahead for Grover and what will happen to the Titans who have gone into hiding. I think that Rick Riordan should write another book to end the series because a new series (The Heroes of Olympus) of the same theme doesn't interest me. With all the new characters, I don't think you would be able to get over the fact that you won't be dealing with Percy Jackson again. Rick Riordan is betraying the reader's loyalty. Now I don't know what to read!

The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus Book 1)
The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus Book 1) by Rick Riordan (Paperback - 6 Oct 2011)
5.59