5.0 out of 5 stars Creatures from the Id? Aliens? Paranormal being? Who knows!
This was a fairly scary read even for an adult although I have to say that the teenage market it is aimed at probably get more scary kicks out of some computer games.

Published on 25 Nov 2008 by Pyewacket

3.0 out of 5 stars Devouring ,Enjoyable.
The book Devouring is i think a enjoyable book but like quite a few others i believe its aimed at the younger market.
That doesn't mean its not for older people but it is for the teenage market but myself being the big 40 i found it as ive said quite good ,its the sort of book you'd read if you maybe had run out of your normal titles and it passes the time...
Published on 23 Jan 2009 by Vin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Creatures from the Id? Aliens? Paranormal being? Who knows!, 25 Nov 2008
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The Vours the title of the book are truly dreadful entities which Reggie our heroine has let into this world by finding a book by chance and then enlisting her boyfriend Aaron into trying out a ritual in the book. Of course the ritual works but it is not Aaron or Reggie who are taken, it is Reggies little brother Henry. So, a fight begins to regain little Henry's soul before it is deVOURed totally.

Reggie's part time boss, Eben seems to know more than he is letting on and we only get to know a little about his 'war' with the Vours towards the end of the book.
The ending is open so expect more frights from the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 13 Jun 2014
I love this book!! I read it a few years ago when I was at school and decided I wanted to read it again but couldn't find it anywhere. I found it on the kindle store and downloaded it straight away. I'm dyslexic and it takes me months to read a book and it took me three days to ready this and I work full time. That's how amazing it is, just downloaded the other one "solstice" to read next. WELL WORTH READING!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Devouring was an amazing book and so were the other two!, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Devouring (Sorry Night 1) (Paperback)
Firstly i as i wandered through the library and came across the book with a slightly ghoulish front cover i thought it might be a typical horror, you know no substance. but then i realized never to judge a book by its cover and eventually i took the book out. I found the storyline exceptional and it was very structured in a nice way, the adventure, the horror, the unknown mystery all added to the suspense of the book. i thought that the book was really good, i was never bored and didn't have to drag my eyes across the back printed words I actually enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend it for teenagers over 12-who love horror and adventure( finding things out, going to places to find clues etc.)Overall the trilogy was really good and as you read another book you learn more and more about teh characters for example the who seemed to be a normal bookshop owner Eben.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Devouring, 15 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Devouring (Sorry Night 1) (Paperback)
When I received my review copy of The Devouring it came with a sticker on the front cover stating that I could get my money back if it wasn't scarier than Darren Shan. Although I didn't actually pay for this book, if I had I would definitely not be making use of this offer - I am a Darren Shan fan but The Devouring is much, much scarier.

I'm an absolute sucker for horror. I love it. Films, books, anything. Stephen King is my idol and I do wish there was more young adult horror. I find it's either adult (which is fine by me but it's not what I review) or a little too young for teens. Slight grumble aside, The Devouring is exactly what I'd been looking for. Perfect for teens, absolutely terrifying and brilliantly written. Definitely check it out - if you can stomach it.

The cover generated a lot of buzz on the blogs over the last few months and if you look at the picture I've included at the top of this review I'm sure you can see why. It's bold, in your face and extremely graphic - lovely stuff. The cover does set the tone for the rest of the book, though, so if that freaks you out you may be best to avoid this one. It really is scary.

The Vours are horrible, horrible villains. Ruthless, hell bent on nothing but terrifying their victims and scarily intelligent, they're fantastic to read about. Holt's description is second to none and I almost had to put the book down a couple of times to calm myself before I carried on - all the signs of a brilliant horror novel.

I think this one would work brilliantly in film. The Vours are so visual and there are so many scenes that I really saw playing out in my head as I was reading them - lots of drowning and nightmares and that excellent scene at the funfair. Funfairs have always creeped me out - and clowns. Yes, both of there feature in The Devouring. Awesome.

If you're not a horror fan and you're easily scared then I would exercise a little caution before reading The Devouring. I loved it but then again I love being scared. If you're prone to freaking yourself out then you probably will have nightmares to be honest - but a little scare isn't going to hurt anyone. Be brave and pick up a copy of this brilliant book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creeepy!!, 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Devouring (Sorry Night 1) (Paperback)
There were stories we used to tell each other when we were kids, for the mere purpose to scare the other person so much,that he or she couldn't sleep at night.I remember trying to come up with these dreadful and creepy creatures,taking into account the other person's fear and taking advantage of it accordingly.
The Devouring is one of those stories.

Reggie is a 15 year old girl, who comes from a broken home:her mother abandoned her and her 8 year old brother a year before the beginning of the story.Apparently, she got scared and run away.Or maybe she was too selfish and she wanted to live her life free of responsibilities.We never really find out why she did it.
The book is basically describing Reggie's struggle to keep her family together after her brother's been taken by Vours, evil smoke-like entities who possess your body and pretend to be you.She loves her brother and she will do anything to get him back, struggling to keep what it's left of her family together.So, she enters the world of the Vours, where her brother's soul is.A psychedelic world,where your worst nightmares and fears come alive.But the more you fear, the more the Vour gets stronger,and Reggie has only one chance to get herself and her brother out of there,before they both lose themselves in the Vour world.

I enjoyed reading The Devouring very much!Don't expect great character developments and many touchy feely scenes,this is a horror book after all, but the story behind it is fantastic!Black smokes, spiders, evil carnivals and clowns(that's freaking scary,right there!),graveyards, elevator coffins, anything you can possibly imagine and are scared of, are in this book.If Stephen King wrote a book when he was a teenager, it could easily be The Devouring!

If you're up for a good horror story, don't miss this one!

One useful tip:don't mistake this book for Young Adult.It belongs to the Horror genre and much deservingly so,since it contains explicit descriptions of gory and macabre scenes.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devouring, 18 Jun 2010
S. Glassborow - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devouring (Sorry Night 1) (Paperback)
This book is about a young girl called Reggie Halloway who she and her friend, Aaron, test out a paranormal legend. On a night during December they try it out. Supposedly, these things (shadows/spirits/ghosts?) called Vours are said to possess you when you face your fears on Sorry Night; a night in which the legend is said to come true.

In my opinion, this book is great for those older kids/teenagers who love a good scary movie. The book complements the cover very well as it has a great plot that twists about during the story. The layout of this book is quite complex but that isn't a bad thing; everything interlinks well from the start to the end of the book making it a book that is well worth reading.

There are minor parts in the story where the plot gets a bit tricky to get your head around but when you read the next few pages it starts getting back into shape and gets easier to understand.

I think that Simon Holt has done an excellent job in writing this book and I can't wait to read the next one in the series and write my review on it.

I'll keep you posted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 11 Sep 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Devouring (Hardcover)
Reggie Halloway is a freshman in high school, she's a bit awkward, and since her mother left her family, she has had to take over the household duties and become a "surrogate-mother" for her younger brother, Henry.

Reggie is a horror junkie. She can recall the works of Poe and Lovecraft from memory, but she also tries to make her little brother braver by reading him some of these same stories. While at work in a local horror bookstore, Reggie comes across a journal titled The Devouring, which contains the scribbling and drawings of someone that would put a madwoman to shame.

This journal contains the creepy, shiver-inducing story of The Vours. The Vours are these demonic, creepy-as-hell beings that inhabit a host on Sorry Night (it's December 22), then devour their fear and take over. They turn your brother, sister, friend, or loved one into a hollow shell of what they once were.

Then Henry starts acting strange - he becomes dark, cold, distant, mean. Reggie, with the help of her nerdy but enjoyable friend Aaron, comes to realize that what they wrote off as the musings of a lunatic are true. These creatures not only exist but they have taken Henry.

Reggie then has to find out what happens when your deepest fears become reality. She needs to learn how to save the people she cares for by figuring out how to survive within a world that's one big nightmare. She has to decide if she can devour her own fears before those fears devour not only her, but also the people she loves.

Talk about scary. This is not a story for the faint of heart. Sometimes the imagery is so vivid that you can picture it within your head. If you've never had a story that stayed in your head, then be prepared, because after reading THE DEVOURING it sticks for a bit.

For me, at least, the story has made me think more about my own fears. Could I be so terrified that my guard was so low as to allow a demon into my head and let it put me in my own personal form of Hell? I don't think so, but you never know. You must conquer your fears, before they conquer you.

It's a terrifying story, but terrifying in a good way. Put on some happy music, and settle in for a horrifying, yet fascinating, ride.

Reviewed by: Samantha Clanton, aka "Harlequin Twilight"

4.0 out of 5 stars "Sorry Night" series book 1, 23 Nov 2008
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Reggie , her younger brother and their father are trying to keep it together after her mom walks out on them; leaving Reggie to act (sometimes resentfully) as surrogate mother to eight year old Henry. With a love of horror, Reggie finds escape in a hand written book she comes across, never believing this diary detailing the possession of a young boy to be anything more than fantasy. She and her friend Aaron may not believe in the Vours that feed on your greatest fears, to such a degree they foolishly enact a midnight ritual; however young Henry certainly does. The next morning Reggie quickly notices Henry is different and soon realises this little boy who acts so strangely and cruelly is only the shell of her brother under the control of a Vour. As she and Aaron begin the fight for Henry's soul, they are drawn into a battle in which they must confront their greatest fears or die.

I would certainly NOT recommend "The Devouring" to anyone under the recommended reading age of 14 as there are definitely some gory parts to it and some genuinely scary moments when Reggie battles the Vours. I was left pleasantly surprised by this young persons' horror as I found it far more gripping than some of the adult horror I've previously ordered from the Vine Programme and a horror book that does as it is supposed to; bring chills to the spine and goosebumps to the skin. "The Devouring" is definitely a creepy start to a new series with an ending that will leave you waiting for book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars "When dark creeps in and eats the light, bury your fears on Sorry Night.", 25 Sep 2008
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Devouring (Hardcover)
The Vours; evil beings which inhabit humans on the darkest night of the year, the winter solstice. Like a parasite, they take over the body, leaving the soul to perish. And what attracts them to you - fear.
Reggie, a fifteen year-old whose mother walked out on her, her younger brother and their father, finds herself slowly becoming like her brother's guardian as the family struggle to adapt to their new life. One of her new responsibilities is to read to her brother at bedtime. Growing bored of his child's books, Reggie begins reading from an unusual book she found. The book tells the story of the Vours - but the content is so strange, she never imagines that it is real. Then her brother begins to act weirdly, and soon Reggie has to face that sometimes your worst fears can be real.

Simon Holt has begun a brilliant series with THE DEVOURING. I read it within a day. This is teen horror at its best - there are parts of the book that are truly gruesome; the description of the horrors that Reggie faces are bound to send a shiver down your spine. And cleverly, Holt does not give all the answers at the end of the book, leaving you intrigued and wanting to know more.
For any fan of horror I would strongly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gory fun that will appeal to teenage boys, 23 Dec 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Vours (rhymes with `ours') are a type of demon that feed on people's fear, using it to trap a person's soul into a hell of their own so they can take possession of the body. When Reggie discovers a journal retelling an encounter with the Vours, she decides to summon them as a joke but the joke is on her as the Vours take over her younger brother, Henry. Reggie teams up with best friend and fellow horror geek Aaron to find a way to reclaim Henry's soul - a task that will see them forced to face their own fears.

Holt makes some nice references to Poe and King (people buried alive in cellars and murderous clowns). Characterisation is brusque but does the job. Reggie is a determined and resourceful heroine determined to save her brother. Aaron is a little too forced to be truly individual (the schtick with his hats is annoying), but he has some nice lines. The mentor character - Eben Bloch who runs the local horror book store - isn't on the page long enough to make a significant impact and the novel stops as he gets interesting.

Henry's possession is well depicted - sly, creepy and manipulative, his taunting of Reggie makes the reader will her on. There are some chilling scenes involving the discovery of the Vour's weakness that made me shudder. Be warned that there gruesome scenes so parents may want to check it before buying.

The story's emotional heart involves Reggie and Henry's attempt to cope with the desertion by their mother and their reactions were believable, particularly Reggie who resents having to hold things together while accepting that no one else who can do it. I'd have liked more interaction between her and her father, but hopefully this is in the later books.

Biggest gripe was the ending, which is too abrupt - a shame because the story telling was strong enough for me to want to read more without withholding a revelation about a main character. I'd have also liked to have seen a couple of scenes involving Aaron that occur off-page because this would have helped to flesh out some of the development that happens to his character.

Other than this, I thought it was a fun, fast-paced and gory read that kept me entertained and will surely do the same for budding horror fans in their teen years.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Devouring (Sorry Night 1)
The Devouring (Sorry Night 1) by Simon Holt (Paperback - 2 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01