5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
It's been a quite a long time that I found myself sitting up until three in the morning, wanting desperately to finish a story. But that is exactly where I found myself the other night with LOCK AND KEY in my hands. I was so engrossed in Ruby and her story that I had to find out how it ended.

Ruby Cooper has always looked out for Number One. When Ruby was...
Published on 20 May 2008 by TeensReadToo

1.0 out of 5 stars boring
There is no passion in this book.Story has good potential but characters are so boring and nothing happen not even at the end of the book.Writer spend writing and describing pond,houses and school property more then actual characters.Mother left her.She goes to live with her sister.She met the boy next door and she got into UC.Very disappointing reed.
Published on 17 Oct. 2012 by N. Zrinjski Sullivan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 20 May 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lock and Key (Hardcover)

Ruby Cooper has always looked out for Number One. When Ruby was eight, her sister Cora left for university and never looked back. It was always Ruby and her mother, moving from one place to another. Her mother's excuse was to avoid creditors and landlords. Ruby slowly comes to find out that this is the version her mother wanted her to hear.

Early on in her senior year of high school, Ruby's mom does a runner. Leaving Ruby all alone in the rented yellow house, Ruby does what she can to survive. She will be eighteen in less than a year, and if she can hide the fact that she's alone until then, the authorities won't be able to touch her. But when the dryer fails at her rented house and the landlords notice a clothes line strung throughout the kitchen, Ruby's life is forever changed.

Custody of Ruby is given over to her older sister, Cora. Cora and her husband, Jamie, live in a wealthy community and live a life totally foreign to everything Ruby has ever known. Not trusting Cora and Jamie's intentions, Ruby plots an escape her first night in her new home. Making a break over the fence in the back yard, her escape is foiled by one rambunctious dog, Roscoe. Roscoe's barking brings a curious "Hello?" from the other side of the fence. Here she meets her next door neighbor, Nate. Nate's outlook on life is upbeat and infectious. But Ruby does everything she can to keep him at bay, as well.

Slowly, Ruby learns to adjust the new life she has been given, and develop friendships in the most unlikely places. Ruby has always kept on the fringes and avoided being indebted to anyone. But as she grows and evolves, she realizes that maybe others need her just as much as she needs them. With a class assignment to define "Family," Ruby understands that the word has many meanings, and most of them don't necessarily mean blood relations.

Sarah Dessen writes another amazing novel for young adults. LOCK AND KEY is wonderful, heartfelt story. All of the characters draw you in and make you feel like you are part of their lives. Jamie's naiveté is endearing. Cora's infertility struggles hit you in the heart. Olivia's tough girl exterior has cracks you get to see through. Harriett is just as harried as her name implies. And the perfect-seeming Nate has secrets all his own.

My only regret with this book is that I failed to move it to the top of my To Be Read pile as soon as it arrived for review. So if you have this one sitting around at home, make it the next one you read. And if you've picked it up at the book store, considering purchasing it, definitely do so the next time you are there. You won't regret it!

Reviewed by: Jaglvr

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Dessen!, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Lock and Key (Paperback)
As you may have seen me say before, I am trying to read all of Sarah Dessen's books, working through in the order they came out and this was the next on my list.
I started this one earlier in the week then had to stop 60 pages in to read a review book, my fingers were itching to get back into this and I finally got to today. I managed to read another 70 pages in my lunch break then sat down with it when I got home. When I stopped for dinner I was about half-way. I then sat down this evening thinking I would read for just one more hour, but in the end I sat there for 2 and a half hours and finished the book. I kept thinking 'just one more chapter, then I'll put it down' but I just couldn't step away. I was hooked in. It's now five minutes past eleven at night and I am writing this review.
Ruby is used to moving round and to disappointment, then her mum walks out and leaves her alone, she tries to make it on her own, but it doesn't last. She is then sent to live with her sister who she hasn't seen in 10 years. Her sister is now married and rather rich, living in a posh suburb. Ruby has to adapt to her new life, new school and learn to let people in again.
I really liked Ruby, she was really guarded and she felt really vulnerable to me, I wanted to give her a hug and tell her it would be ok. But she doesn't whine, she gets on with it and takes everything in her stride. It's great that throughout the story you can see her grow and adapt. It's like she's growing up before your eyes. She becomes like a friend or sister that you're watching out for her.
I also really enjoyed the developing relationship with Nate her neighbor and all their issues. This book does cover some serious issues from drugs and drink, social services/abandonment and also child abuse, but it does it in a very tactful and thoughtful way.
I find Sarah Dessen's writing to be really captivating, truthful and open, she doesn't shy away from topics and makes her characters feel so real. They come alive on the page. She is a master story-teller for sure.
The fact I couldn't put this book down shows just how good it was, I can't get enough and am going straight to the library's website to request the next book. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars The Key to a Good Read - pick up a Sarah Dessen!, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Lock and Key (Paperback)
Okay, so we all know not to take the statements made on the covers of books too seriously, right? They are after all, not going to say anything negative about the book. So when I read my first Sarah Dessen book I didn't instantly believe the caption 'Read her once and fall in love'. But I have to say it is absoultely true! Sarah Dessen is an absoultely amazing author. Whilst many authors delve into the realms of fantasy to create an enthralling love story - I'm thinking Twilight here - Dessen stays firmly in reality, but creates beautiful stories and unique characters that will stay with you forever after.

Lock and Key is no exeption. As always Dessen manages to create a story steeped in life lessons without thrusting them down your throat. So if you're looking for a teen romance with depth, personality and humour then read this book. And even if you're are not, then you should read it anyway. I can always remember where I was when I read my first Sarah Dessen book; that's not something I can say about any other author apart from J.K. Rowling.

Get the picture? Now I'll let you see for yourself ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it but would have liked a more positive ending, 5 Jan. 2013
M. Dean Young "Elfin Holly" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lock and Key (Kindle Edition)
I loved the main character (Ruby) in this and fully engaged with her character. I found her relationships with her family and friends believable and they didn't put you off her.

I wasn't happy with the ending but I like my stories to end happily and while this wasn't unhappy it was realistic and little bitter sweet.

A good YA read for a more cynical teen.

5.0 out of 5 stars "So, what's it to?", 28 April 2009
aka-chin "~Akka~" (Manchester, England (U.K.)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lock and Key (Paperback)
The Key around Ruby's neck is symbolic. It's not only a physical key but a spiritual one. For her it's the one thing that will always stay the same when things around her are changing and she can't stop them. Having been abandoned by her mother and taken in by her estranged older sister Cora, Ruby just wants to go back to the life she used to have. To go back home. The problem is she just doesn't know here that is.

This book follows her journey as she starts her new life, makes new friends, falls in love again and faces her past. It's very thought-provoking and the emotions are so realistic, too. The pace is gradual and slow, but this works for the story as real life is hardly ever simple and easy and Dessen shows she knows this through her excellant writing style.

I picked this up for the COVER initially, and wasn't interested at first but the plot picked up right away once I'd sat down and really ead. Finished it in one night (which is why I have circles under my eyes today!). I loved it and couldn't put it down. Left me thinking. Definately recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 15 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Lock and Key (Paperback)
Lock and Key follows the story of seventeen year old Ruby Cooper who has been covering and lying for her mum for most of her life.
When Ruby's mum takes off and leaves her, Ruby goes about her normal life, covering for her mum's absence like she's been taught. When her mum doesn't return she is caught out and shipped off to stay with her older sister who she hasn't seen in years.

Ruby's world is turned completely upside down and with that comes a lot more than she bargained for.

I really enjoyed Lock and Key, it is a very sweet coming of age story which deals with a lot of family issues. It does make you think that these things happen to people everyday and makes you feel thankful and lucky for the family that you do have.

It is definitely not a light hearted, fun summer read like I thought it would be. Lock and Key is deep, emotional and makes you stop and think.

I really enjoyed the little reference to The Queens family who are characters in Sarah Dessen's other book The Truth About Forever. That actually made me giggle!

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, 17 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Lock and Key (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Dessen Book, for sure, 5 Feb. 2010
Lucy Isabella "LUCY" (Lake Tahoe, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lock and Key (Paperback)
I recently started reading Sarah Dessen's books on my friend's recommendation, and I started with Truth about Forever, moved onto Just Listen and most recently, Lock and Key. Ruby is a girl who is left behind when her mother leaves, and finds herself living with her sister and brother-in-law, who are accustomed to a life she can't even begin to comprehend. Faced with a new school, new friends and a new expectation to uphold, Ruby is helped along by neighbour Nate, the typical Beverly Hills boy. Blonde, gorgeous, and at first glance, obnoxiously perfect.
I don't want to ruin the book for anyone, so I won't go into the plot or characters, but this must be read by anyone who enjoys books along the lines of Prety Little Liars or Gossip Girl. Even if you don't give it a try, you never know, it might surprise you. With every element covered in this book, it is worth buying, and will be read by myself plenty of times in future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 15 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Lock and Key (Paperback)
I've only recently started reading Sarah Dessen books and this one has to be the best by far! Its about a teenage girl called Ruby whose living in poverty until the Honeycotts suss her out. She's then transformed into a world of luxury thanks to her long lost sister and brother in law wo live in a huge house and have everything you could possibly wish for. However all Ruby wants to do is escape and go back to her old yellow house.
Finally after making friends and feeling a little more settled she decides to stay and truely transforms her life for good, also discovering relationships and the importance of family.
This book kept me intrigued from start to finish, I loved reading about Ruby and trust me you wont be disappointed :)Dessen hits just the right notes with this novel. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Lock and Key (Paperback)
In this beautifully written Sarah Dessen book, there are aspects of life that unlike other books, can relate to you, like how much life can be hard and nobody's perfect. This is illustrated very well in this book as Sarah describes in such detail about another person that you can picture everything going on and what that character looks like to you. When I read the back again after i read the book, i felt it didnt explain too much about the second half of the book to it's potential. If you're looking for a book about romance and life as a girl who has had a hard life, this is the book for you!!

I would recommend the book in the age range of 13-20 as I think it's more of a teenage book and not suitable for children under 13.
This book has to be one of my favourite books!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lock and Key
Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen (Paperback - 2 April 2009)