Format: PaperbackChange

It's DIARY OF A WIMPY KID #2, and I can't wait to read #3. These books are fantastic. The tales and adventures of Greg Heffley and his creative illustrations are well worth your time.

Greg begins his second diary. He almost decided it wasn't worth it after Rodrick got his hands on the first diary, but once again he writes about his frustrations with his older brother, Rodrick, and his younger brother, Manny. Greg reveals all the embarrassing encounters involving his mother's determination to butt into his life. He also includes tales of his bumpy relationship with his best friend, Rowley.

Imaginative cartoon drawings combined with fresh, wacky humor make the DIARY OF A WIMPY KID: RODRICK RULES popular with even the most sophisticated readers in my middle school. Everyone considers it just plain fun to read. Anyone who is currently striving to survive middle school, or anyone who remembers the pain, is sure to appreciate the good-natured humor in Jeff Kinney's creative series.

Reviewed by: Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky"
on 18 November 2009
My son is 11, like most boys he doesn't like reading. This book, like all others in the series, is funny with lots of pictures, and it talks about children about my son's age and things they encountered. My son reads it again & again, and laughs everytime, he also read out to me so I can laugh with him! I think this book + its series are good for encouraging children to read, particularly for those who are not keen in reading. I bought all the books in the series, and my son loves it all and still reading them repeatedly. Can't wait for the next one to come out.
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 September 2013
Greg (Zachary Gordon) has moved on to the seventh grade. He hangs out with his wimpy friends. The new girl in school is Holly Hills(Peyton List). She has long blond hair and has captured everyone's attention. Greg's friend Rowley (Robert Capron) says, "She's as pretty as my mom," in an awkward Freudian moment. Greg's parents are the stereotypical embarrassing parents. Greg and his older brother Roderick bond in this film as they share a secret. Roderick (Devon Bostick) who is part of a garage rock band, "Loded Diper"[sic] gives his brother advice on how to get Holly's attention. And there is a talent contest in town...Rachel Harris plays the mom. She is made to look like Tina Fey in a non-threatening way. She like movies were the man chooses the maid over the super model.

The movie contains pranks. The boys misbehave in ways we wish our kids would only misbehave. Good movie for family night entertainment as it was amusing and palatable for adults.
on 7 February 2012
Diary of a wimpy kid Rodrick rules is an excelent book. It brings to life the story of a young boy called Greg Heffley who is in middle school. Greg has a best friend called Rowley who is always embarrasing him in public. But what seems to be the case is that rowley gets all the good things in life and Greg doesn't. All of the ups and downs in his life are expressed in the story and it makes this book great. The style the book is written in is exactly how you would expect a young boy to write. The story can be very funny at times and is definitely worth a read. Jeff Kinney is a great author and it's hard to believe he can come up with all these weird and wonderful things to happen in Greg's life. All the books in the series are great and, personally, I can't wait for another book to be published!
on 12 November 2015
When last we saw our hero Greg Heffley he had survived everything from cursed cheese to an unfortunate stage debut. Not that much has changed in his life, of course. He’s still a perpetual victim of his older brother Rodrick’s crazy schemes and his younger brother Manny’s three-year-old excesses. Greg might have to do what Rodrick says for a while too since his older brother knows something terrible, HORRIBLE even, that happened to Greg over the summer and he's threatening to tell the world. And though Greg might try to participate in everything from role-playing to writing his comic strip to forget it, eventually that sword of Damocles is going to fall. It’s just a matter of time.

Kinney is almost eerily good at writing material that is as funny to kids as it is to adults. I haven’t yet discussed this book with someone who doesn’t know how the game Dungeons and Dragons works, so I wonder if a D&D newbie would find the game in which Greg’s mom joins (calling her character “Mom”) as funny as I did. For a sequel, there’s a lot of new stuff in this book as well. We finally get a chance to see Loded Diper (Rodrick’s band) play. We see Manny enter preschool on Halloween Day with disastrous results. And then there’s the Mom Bucks program instituted by Greg’s mother. That one sounded a little too real to have been made up, though.

You could probably use these books in class to discuss the concept of the “unreliable narrator” because at a certain point, Greg’s life is what every pre-teen to teen boy feels like his own life is. Everybody gets away with stuff except for you. Parents are too nerdy or out-of-it to be of any use, friends are unreliable, and the world is a scary place where your unique skills are not recognized. You get the distinct feeling that Greg might be exaggerating some of the events in his life, but that's not a bad thing. That said, it’s hard not to feel vindicated when Rodrick finally has something bad happen to him at the end of the book. Who knew that YouTube can be the ultimate high school equalizer! It brings adolescent embarrassment to a whole new level.

There are a lot of familiar callbacks, of course. Fights with best friend Rowley, for example. And I was very sad to find that one of my favorite characters, Fregley, didn’t make an appearance in this sequel. Still, it all basically comes down to this: If you like the first “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” then you will like the second. Maybe it doesn’t carry the surprise of the first book, but what sequel does? Thoroughly enjoyable and unrepentantly hilarious.
on 4 May 2015
Meet Greg Heffley, a teenaged boy who is a 100% accident prone (which isn't such a gift when you live with his family...a single mistake can mean BIG trouble). This time he is back in the second Diary of a Wimpy Kid book with more jokes, stories and Greg's fabulous cartoons filled with humour. But you'd better be careful which page you touch as Greg still has the lurgy of the cheese touch!

Greg's older brother Rodrick now knows two of Greg's biggest secrets. One, is the existence of his diary. And the second, is the story about the kiss of death. The worst thing that can possibly happen to him (after death) is people knowing that he keeps a diary. This book is filled with surprising twists and there is a mere amount of things you can be sure of whilst reading it. But there is one thing that you can be sure of...there is no brotherly love between him and Rodrick.

Think he's in enough of a crisis? Well, think again. Aside from Rodrick there's Manny. Greg's three-year-old brother who would do anything to tell on Greg. How can Greg's Mum and Dad let him get away with stuffing a chocolate-chipped cooking in the disc drive of his video game system? How can giving him a ball with toothpicks stuck into it make everything better? How can Greg's life get any worse?

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are perfect reads on a wet boring day that will make your sides ache with laughter. I like the way Jeff Kinney made it into a mix of cartoons and text which spiced up the book and made Greg's character more fun and unique - it looks like a real diary or as Greg likes to call it 'a journal'.

It'd be a great present for someone who doesn't like to read novels yet or doesn't have a stretched amount of reading skills. The fact that it is written with a variety of cartoons and writing makes it less of a harsh book to read and more of a light one which was nice for me to get a mixture of different types of books.

Although there is no real climax to the story line, it covers the ongoing hassles that Greg faces at school and home which, like life, just keep surfacing! It also made me eager to read on because I wanted to know what the twist at the end would be.

My own personal and favourite highlight of reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules was reading it with my Dad who equally enjoyed it - laughing away on the bus together when X happened. Greg and his stories are entertaining and amusing for anyone who's ever been a humorous and goofy kid! You rule Greg!
on 18 April 2010
This book is the sequel to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and continues Greg's journal entries about his life. This book centres on his relationship with older brother Rodrick and his band, his brothers blackmailing of Greg because of an "incident" in the summer. There are more tales of his interfering mother and his little brother Manny and his friendship with Rowley.

This is a fun, easy going read and my son really likes these books. I think they have a wide age range appeal. The first book was given to my 11 year old daughter when she started secondary school under some scheme to give each 11 year old a free book. She quite enjoyed the book and read some of it to my 7 year old (who dislikes fiction and has just acquired good fluency in his reading). My son really loved the book (even though all the charcaters are in "middle school" in the US - I think that means early secondary?)and read the rest of it himself. I have now bought the rest of the series.

The books have quite large print in a hand written font on printed lined paper and are liberally pepperred with line drawn cartoons of the characters with funny bubble enclosed quips. I think this layout of not being too dense and having the cartoons really makes for ease of reading and would appeal to children who are a bit put off by dense, small print, crowded chapter book/novels that can seem very daunting. They are also good when you just feel like having a light read, nothing to have to think about very deeply.

I didn't think the books were particularly funny myself , really quite light observational humour- but I'm nearly 50 not 10 years old!
on 2 October 2009
When I finished the first Wimpy Kid book I showed it to my daughter. She feigned non interest so I left it lying around and within 2 days she had read it through and was begging for more. Then we had a school book fair and she not only picked up the next two books, but she convinced loads of friends to try it too. The original copy is now on its way around the class on loan to various friends, and I just managed to read this one after she had finished it and before she lent that one out too!

So without a doubt this book is popular with its intended audience. It states 9+ on the back of the book, although my daughter is 8. There is no maximum age for this book though, because it is hilarious and works on so many levels.

Adults will read this book and be transported back to their school days. Greg, the diary writer (or journal writer as he would prefer it to be called) is very much a typical 12 year old boy. The genius of this book is how the author captures that so perfectly and succinctly. Like any 12 year old boy, he does not waste words in his diary on feelings and touchy feely stuff. He writes as he thinks, and then draws pictures - and these are hilarious.

I found myself literallly laughing out loud at this book (and few books have that effect on me). Anyone who has been a kid will identify with this flawed but lovable boy as he struggles against the victimisation at the hands of his older brother, and all the other curved balls life throws at him.

A quick but excellent read. Well worth it. Also a good one to enthuse less confident readers.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid was a breakout success in bringing kid humor into classic situations and an appealing format. One of my concerns about reading Rodrick Rules was whether there would be enough classic kid problems to fill another book with side-splitting laughter. Well, some of the best gags are gone but some pretty good ones are left.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid featured humor built from not wanting to touch a piece of rotten cheese. There's no exact equivalent that's as funny Rodrick Rules, but the continuing saga of being dominated by an obnoxious older brother certainly will evoke memories and laughs among those who were a younger brother or the parent of two or more boys.

As in most families, both boys have something they can use to blackmail the other. But Rodrick is much better than Greg at fighting for dominance. What Rodrick has on Greg is truly funny, the sort of thing that would deeply embarrass any middle school boy.

There's lots of contact between the two boys because their parents want to bring them together. I could relate to the sorts of things I tried to use to create peace between two teenage boys . . . that didn't work.

One of the on-going gags involves Rodrick's band and his parents fear of where this could all lead. Any family that's ever had a garage or basement band will relate to this part of the book.

I was also amused to see the book address that perpetual middle school challenge . . . how to pass without doing any work.

This is great fun, just not as side-splitting as Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
on 14 March 2010
I love this book a lot.
When ever I have spare time I pick up one of these books and I just read in till I have to do some thing else to do.
This is one of the best books I have ever read!

Olivia