5.0 out of 5 stars diary of a wimpy kid
its a very good book with hilaurious illistrations even though its quite easy to read and i finished it very quickly!i rate it 5 stars and i also think its suitiable for 9 to 11 year olds.
Published on 11 April 2012 by Katherine

3.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book Review
This book was quite enjoyable. I enjoyed the humour and comic strips in it. I didn't enjoyed the part about the cheese as it made me feel slightly sick.
Published 20 months ago by Ana

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, 27 Jan 2013
The book was way too short because I finished it in 1 hour and it is loaded with pictures!!!! Lol

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
my son abso loves these books, he has suddenly turned into a bookworm :-O
he now wants everything this author has written!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
This book is about a boy Greg who goes to middle-school.There, he has a friend Rowley Greg says he took him "under his wing". This book is really the right book if haven't had a laugh for a long time!I recommend it to readers any age!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Fun and easy Read, 11 Sep 2009
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
This is a good fun read. A story written in the form of a middle school boy's diary (or journal as he would prefer it to be known) complete with his own cartoons which are a perfect and hilarious counterpoint to his authentic pre-teen voice, that says so much by leaving out so much!

There are various cultural references that a non American reader must interpret - usually with an eye to what we see on movies. I think middle school is like 11-14 or something, but no doubt an American reader of this comment can correct me if I am wrong.

I loved the way this book gets into the head of the boy who writes it though. Things like "The Cheese Touch" or the naming of your racing cars with rude words and such like to put off your opponent are just so reminicent of that age.

What I particularly enjoyed was the way memory and imagination can fill in so many details. The boys in one class end up making a list of rude words they don't want their robot to say. Not only was that a hilarious scene, but I could also imagine being there, and I could imagine all the conversations and hilarity that would surround that list. The description is brief but somehow it brings out so much more.

All in all this is a perfect book for 8-13s or so, and indeed anyone who remembers what it was like to be that age!

4.0 out of 5 stars Diary of a wimpy kid, 1 Aug 2014
I'd rate this book with **** and a half stars
This book is very funny and is one of my personal favourites
I love the way that Jeff Kinney writes and I definitely would suggest u to buy this book
As u continue to read the collection I warn u not to let children under 10 read this book cause it can get a bit risky throughout the collection

I hope u find this helpful !
Eryn xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read even for age 25ers! :D, 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
As a 25 year old who was looking for a light read, I definitely found it! I think the illustrations are cute and funny and its engaging and enjoyable even at this age- actually ESPECIALLY at this age. Amongst all the adult seriousness its nice to read something from the (supposed) viewpoint of a kid. It went by a breeze and I actually found myself looking forward to reading it when i had the time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not funny, but disturbing, 3 Aug 2012
L. Tweed "LindaLou" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
I had been prepared for a laugh-a-minute read with my 9-year-old daughter after I'd bought this book for her. Unfortunately I was rather dismayed to find the central character to be a shallow, unlikeable lad who engages in casually or deliberately cruel behaviour, his brother being even worse. The one-dimensional characters in this book seem to exist to be made fun of by other characters and/or the reader, which indeed is genuinely in keeping with the typical atmosphere of an American junior high school, but who really believes this to be a good thing? My daughter now loves this book series and I live in continual hope that she will grow out of it. J.K. Rowling, Michael Morpurgo, Jacqueline Wilson, Eva Ibbotson, Philip Pullman and many others are much more worthwhile children's authors, who have something genuinely special and substantial to say. This book avoids a one-star rating from me due to occasional clever additions such as the "cheese touch".

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are young at heart - read on..., 7 Feb 2010
Lovely Treez (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
It is difficult to find books which interest my 9 yr old son but the Wimpy Kid series has been a resounding success given that it has dragged him away from tv/video games, previously unheard of! The last time I saw him so engaged in a book was probably several years ago when he was into Captain Underpants and now at last an equally attractive, fun read. The beautifully balanced mixture of text (diary format) and illustrations makes it much more approachable than some of the literature targetted at this age group - doorstopper sized fantasy tomes, no thank you! I wish more authors would create vibrant, cleverly illustrated novels for children - just because they're over 5 doesn't mean they can't enjoy pictures.

My son is now on Book 3 of the series and I'm currently searching for future reading material. It has made him interested in reading again and he shares anecdotes from the book with the whole family - a true example of the power of literature!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the age group, not one that has translates well to an adult reader, 11 Jun 2013
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
I work in a library. This series is ridiculously popular with our young customers, with the films and seven-book-long series rarely staying on the shelves longer than a few hours after being returned.

So yes, I was curious.

It's a quick read for an adult, and of course perfect in short diary-entry chapters and chatty narration for 8-12 year olds.

Greg writes about his life, mostly about his family and school. Incidents include his attempts to become Class Clown, avoid getting the Cheese Touch and make it through a performance of the Wizard of Oz as a tree without his brother laughing at him.

I can see the appeal - at that age I was obsessed with the Judy Blume and Paula Danziger equivalent (though not humorous).

But I just didn't like Greg!! He isn't a very good friend, is all out for himself, seems quite anti-social and conniving and just didn't 'grow' as a character (apart from one attempt to stick up for his even wimpier friend). Though, to be fair, this may happen in later books more.

It's funny for the age group, great format and will hit home with the things Greg gets up to.

I won't stop recommending them, they are well written and fun, but I can't see myself ploughing through books 2-7.

I think some books you CAN just be too old for :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) (Paperback)
brand new book very good condition

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) by Jeff Kinney (Paperback - 3 July 2008)
3.85