Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 December 2012
This was such a constant companion in my childhood and having loved these poems by RLS I moved on to his prose works and I have to say they are now very much old friends revisited regularly. Thank goodness that Stevenson is now regathering recognition in his native City to the extent that there is an "RLS Day". The Child's Garden has a deceptively simple quality - innocence, certainly, but underlying those real virtues lies the nascent mind of a great writer and observer of life, someone who has first hand experience of sustained illness (for example) but retains wonderful optimism:
Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
Fires in the fall!
on 5 December 2010
I was given this book as a child and now that I am a grandparent have bought it so that we can read it to our grandchildren. It deals with what are timeless elements in early childhood which would otherwise never be mentioned or ignored in the rush to the electronic distractions that have taken over 'modern' life.
This particular edition is beautifully produced and illustrated
David Allan
on 8 July 2015
Wow!! This book is just awesome! And thank you soooooo1 much for the prompt delivery. Not to mention the mint condition. New it was. I am looking very forward to reading this out to any child that comes into my house.

What a delightful book just to look at...not to mention the beautiful verses.

This is a gift for any child. And even just to have it in the house for a stand by.

Thank you kindly.
One happy customer indeed.

Patricia.
on 29 April 2015
I still have a copy of this that I was given when I was 5 - some 65 years ago but it is falling to bits. On re-reading I was transported back over the years to childhood. Some of the verses however would seem a little patronising for todays' children perhaps, but are typical of the poet's era. I had hope to pass it on to my granddaughters, but after I have finished reading it again. It still brings delight and is a lovely book.
on 17 June 2013
Brian WIldsmith's illustrations are beautiful and a perfect accompaniment to the verses. There are few genuinely inspiring and lovely books of poetry for children with accompanying pictures. I still remember Wildsmith's beautiful world of colour form my childhood and was pleased to be able to share it with my son in this book.
on 13 February 2015
This is the classic children's poetry book. There are just so many well-known poems in this book. The poems are simple enough for a four-year-old to understand. There is a poem for every season of the year and all the important events of a small child's day - winter, summer, spring, autumn bonfires, getting up, imaginative play, being sick in bed, etc. Lovely charming illustrations by Jessie Orton Jones
on 14 March 2011
This book of Child's Garden of Verse is brilliantly written and has charming coloured illustrations throughout the book making the poems attractive visually.
I bought this book as my daughter had to learn Where Go The Boats for School, and it brought back my childhood memories.

This book will defiantly be a book to treasure and will be read for many years to come, with something to delight and inspire every child. I glad we have it in our home !
on 4 February 2016
These poems are really lovely even better if you have someone who can explain what some of the words and phrases mean.
I was lucky enough to have an elderly Scottish teacher fill in for our usual teacher when he was ill.
Miss Mckenzie.That was over fifty years ago. But it made a big impression on me and I can still remember the poems now.
on 15 September 2013
This book was recommended through some home schooling resources.
We are pleased with the content, style, images and presentation.
Robert Louis Stevenson has done an excellent job in word choice and
theme. Gyo Fujikawa is the artist who has illustrated the book and
the images of the children are so naive and sweet. Our daughter loves
to turn the pages and look at all the pictures.
This is a book we will be reading for years to come!
Thank you for such a great book!
on 24 July 2012
My mother used to read these poems to me, and when my granddaughter was born, I wanted her to have a decent copy of the book. This is a nice big book, large format, heavy paper, with rich colors and lovely artwork - no cheap supermarket copy here. You may find these poems a little obscure, old-fashioned, but my memories are fond, and I've been reading this to my granddaughter for a couple years. She's only 5 today and she loves it too.