5.0 out of 5 stars a book to treasure !
This book of Child's Garden of Verse is brilliantly written and has charming coloured illustrations throughout the book making the poems attractive visually.
I bought this book as my daughter had to learn Where Go The Boats for School, and it brought back my childhood memories.

Published on 14 Mar 2011 by Twinkle

3.0 out of 5 stars Memories
The front appealed to me & the poems are just the same but this paperback did not have the illustrations from my childhood book.
As a gift on its own, it would be disappointing. Look for a larger version with pictures if you want a really nice present. Luckily my purchase is a secondary gift - the ribbon wrapped Ballet Shoes looks more like a gift.
Published 5 months ago by Mrs S Peirce

5.0 out of 5 stars a book to treasure !, 14 Mar 2011

This book will defiantly be a book to treasure and will be read for many years to come, with something to delight and inspire every child. I glad we have it in our home !

5.0 out of 5 stars Dot B, 24 July 2012
My mother used to read these poems to me, and when my granddaughter was born, I wanted her to have a decent copy of the book. This is a nice big book, large format, heavy paper, with rich colors and lovely artwork - no cheap supermarket copy here. You may find these poems a little obscure, old-fashioned, but my memories are fond, and I've been reading this to my granddaughter for a couple years. She's only 5 today and she loves it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as AA Milne, 13 Feb 2010
This review is from: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
I admit that I was never a fan of Robert Louis Stevenson's gung ho swashbuckling stories (maybe its a girl thing). But as a child I did enjoy this collection of poems. To be honest, I enjoyed several of the poems, as some went over my head at the time. The Land of Counterpane was a favourite, up there almost with the Christopher Robin verses. Re-reading the book to share with my children, I have tactfully dropped a few of the poems from our bedtime selection (so un-PC to be a grown up treat for lax liberals with a warped sense of humour) for private consumption only. But many quite lovely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely poems, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
I had this book as a child, but not this edition. The poems are lovely and timeless and I love to read them to my little girl (4 and a half). She likes the pictures, but I must say the illustrations are not nearly as nice in the edition I had (couldnt find a copy of the one I had on amazon or amazon marketplace). The illustrations are line drawings, old fashioned and charming, but the book I had before had coloured drawings which spread across the whole page and gave a small child a lot to look at whilst hearing the poems.
The poems are obviously just as lovely and I would say are suitable for about 4 year olds upwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
I bought this for my daughter. I got one for my 7th birthday and still have it and still love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 27 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential childhood reading, 14 Jan 2014
S. Walsgrove (UK) - See all my reviews
A book that is essential for every child - a wonderful introduction to the rhythms and flow of the English language. This edition has the most wonderful illustrations by Brian Wildsmith - a riot of colour and shapes that flow seamlessly with the poems to give a great experience to the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars a constant reminder of childhood, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
I would recommend this book to anyone with children. I was given a copy as a child, bought one for each of my children and now for each of my grandchildren. It is evocative of a time gone by, but is still relevant now somehow. The. Illustration are lovely. It is just a brilliant children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars bed time poems, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
this book is great for calming children down before bed time unwinding from playing its a beautiful poem book to treasure

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 18 July 2013
This review is from: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
Robert Louis Stephenson`s poetry and Eve Garnett`s ( author: `The Family form One End Street` etc ) lovely line drawings combine to make a sensitive and gentle book of poems for a child.

A Child's Garden of Verses
A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson (Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)
4.79