5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Hound Review, 27 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Dear Hound (Hardcover)
I've read all Jill Murphy's Worst Witch books and I was looking to see if there was another one when I found Dear Hound. I think its a really good book and I couldn't put it down until I'd finished reading, and then I read it all over again. It has moments where it is sad and some where it is really exciting and funny and all the time I was reading it I kept hoping Alfie would get back home again. Its got lovely pictures on nearly every page and I think its really deserves 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Future Classic, 22 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Dear Hound (Hardcover)
Alfie is a deerhound. He's only a puppy but he's still a very big and clumsy dog. He lives with his boy Charlie and his main hobbies consist of digging holes and causing trouble. When Alfie is put into kennels for a night while his family go to a wedding, he firmly believes he is being punished. Determined to escape he makes a run for it while out for a walk, charging through the local town before ending up hidden deep inside the woods with a huge and terrifying storm approaching.

Alerted to Alfie's disappearance, Charlie and his mother begin a search of the countryside for their dog, leaving posters attached to every post and window shop they can find.
In the meantime to foxes Fixit and his mate Sunset are returning to their den after an evening scavenging for food. Much to their surprise they discover huge hulking shape looming out at them from the dark! It's only Alfie however ,frightened and lonely, desperate for help and comfort. The foxes take him in and teach him how to survive in the wild and Alfie becomes very useful by using his unusual ears to listen out for danger.

Months pass without Alfie being found and Charlie's mum is starting to lose hope but the young boy refuses to give up. He just can't imagine life without his friend and won't even consider replacing him with a new puppy and so insist that the search continues despite his mothers reluctance. His search takes Charlie to the very restaurant that Alfie and the foxes raid nightly, but just moments away from reunion, Alfie is kidnapped. Taken away to become a hunting dog it looks like his chances of ever getting home are disappearing fast!

There was no doubt in my mind as I read this book that it will soon become a classic. Jill Murphy is an excellent writer but she has really outdone herself with Dear Hound. She's created a wonderfully written story which was drawn from her own experience of losing a beloved pet. As a result some very strong emotional moments occur at various points throughout the tale as the main characters deal with the worry caused by the Alfie's absence. Above all this is a story of love and loyalty, especially in regards to Charlie's feelings. It's incredibly touching just how upset this little boy feels over the loss of his best friend and his endless optimism that the dog will be found despite growing evidence to the contrary is extremely heart-warming. One moment that particularly springs to mind features Charlie hanging over his garden gate desperately sending positive thoughts through the air in an effort to influence the outcome of the latest search. Anyone who has ever lost a pet of their own should easily identify with the feelings behind such an act.
The overall charm of this book, the brilliant character of the young and naive puppy and the depth of emotional feeling from Charlie should make this a story to remember for all those young readers devoted to their pets. The plot is also well supported by some excellent illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars dear hound, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
A normal Dear Hound who has a long existing adventure!! Where he meets 2 foxes called Fixit and Sunset who teach him new tricks and look after him until he goes home.

Alfie thinks he is safe to go home when 2 men catch him and take him hunting, Alfie just managers to escape. I like this bit its fun because it is surprising.

My favourite character is Alfie, a fun and playfull puppy with a odd ear.

I think my friends Amelia, Maisie, Tilly and 7/11 year olds will like it.

Its a treasure, why not go and buy it right now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 29 Nov. 2012
Karen Vaughan (Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
I have just read this story to my 6 year old son. The chapters were a good length for the story to be split up into bedtime instalments, and the book was a good length for this age, ie not very long.. Very importantly there were at least one, often more, charming pencil illustrations on every page to hold his attention whilst I read. The story kept him interested; the deerhound gets lost and lives wild with a pair of foxes for weeks whilst his family search for him. The story flits between the efforts made to search for him, and the feelings of the young boy who owns him, and the bungling attempts made by the dog to cope without them. There is a happy ending. My son really engaged with the book and I recommend it for ages 5-10. My 10 year old daughter heard enough of the story to wish to read it in her own time, though it was a bit young for her..

4.0 out of 5 stars Utterly delightful, 6 Dec. 2010
A. J. McGowan (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
This is a really charming book, delightfully illustrated by the author. I read it to my 7-year old daughter, and often found that my 11-year old son was sneaking in to listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very dear, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
Pleasant little book for children but fun for adults as well. With deerhounds they are dear in both senses of the word.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a fabulous book by a terrific author, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
I am the proud owner of a deerhound and this book is wonderful. Jill Murphy obviously knows a deerhound very well as she describes their characteristics beautifully. I have read this to several classes who have loved it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat a good doggie story, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
This book oozes charm and appeal to boys & girls - my boy & girl loved it & wanted to know if it would be made into a movie! All the emotions are provoked - fabulous & gentle adventure. Made me buy more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Hound, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
I purchased this book to read to my seven year old at bedtime.
We both enjoyed it and are likely to read again at some point.
I highly recommend Jill Murphy, her children's books are fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars i felt sad when the people saw fix it the fox and ..., 28 Aug. 2014
Fraser Redpath (Edgware, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Hound (Paperback)
i felt sad when the people saw fix it the fox and when Alfie hurt his paw.I really enjoyed reading this book. I could not stop reading.
(my daughter age 6).

Dear Hound
Dear Hound by Jill Murphy (Paperback - 1 April 2010)