‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill for child and adult alike, 23 July 2003
This review is from: Boy and Going Solo (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was about 10 years old. I had always been a fan of Roald Dahl and his stories and this was no exception.
I can honestly say I lost count of the amount of times I have re-read this book (I think last time was only last year and I am now 19!). It was an easy to read book that a child could manage, but it made me aware of some very adult issues - caning children, the birth of the motor car, the wonders of Africa and the shocks of War. At ten years old I knew nothing of these things apart from those which I read in this book. But these issues wern't boring to me, they were entertaining and funny and enjoyable to read.
The idea of Africa was the one which stayed with me. When I finished 6th form I decided to visit the Africa that was written about in Going Solo.
Although it wasn't the only factor, I think this book was the spark which set me on this idea and so I shall never forget it. Thankyou Roald Dahl!

5.0 out of 5 stars A peek into the life of our children's favourite author, 3 Oct 2001
This review is from: Boy and Going Solo (Paperback)
A funny, sometimes moving account of the childhood and later life of Roald Dahl.
For those of you who are huge fans of all those great characters such as Charlie, Matilda and the BFG, take a closer look at the heart and mind of their creator Roald Dahl.
Roald's biography unfolds in a intimate down to earth style which almost gives you the impression he is telling his story, off the record, just to you.
Boy/Going Solo is a book which will have you holding your breath, laughing out loud and reaching for the tissues before the last page is turned and will definitely leave you wanting to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read book, 6 April 2001
This review is from: Boy and Going Solo (Paperback)
As it says on the book - "Roald Dahl's life was as funny, bizarre, fightening and exciting as the stories he wrote" This is 100% true. From being 6 at school to 10 at boarding school in Boy he goes onto being a Hawker Hurricane pilot flying in Greece and the Western desert in 1942. This is an amazing read and it is a book that you will read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars keenly observed, often hilarious, a page-turner for all ages, 1 April 2000
By A Customer
I read this book with High School pupils, of all abilities, to develop listening skills and to learn about plot structure, suspense and 'grip'. We all love to hear about the screeching Mrs Pratchett, and learn to fear loud, huge-bosomed Matrons in 'Boy'. In 'Going Solo', Dahl's account of the garden boy's encounter with the Black Mamba holds children rigid with suspense. These are stories which make teaching English really enjoyable. Also, these are among the most borrowed books in our library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected!, 9 Aug 2007
This review is from: Boy and Going Solo (Paperback)
I expected a dull plod through the life of a writer - but no! this book is a wonderful, engaging, lively trip through the highlights and lowlights of a man who led an extraordinary life. He has a lovely style of phrase which is warm and engaging enabling the reader to clearly see and feel the events unfolding across the pages.
There are many memorable moments, but the one that has stayed with me long after I finished the book was his account of being a fighter pilot. None of the heroics that are usually found in war stories, but observations and comments that were very moving due to their honesty.

5.0 out of 5 stars compellingly gruesome!, 19 Nov 2000
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having read this book it is easy to see where Dahl got the more macabre ideas for his childrens books. Intensely readable and totally fascinating. His real life makes for a better story than any of the made up things he wrote. Although it is written for children it is never patronising and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone of any age.

By A Customer
I read this book with High School pupils, of all abilities, to develop listening skills and to learn about plot structure, suspense and 'grip'. We all love to hear about the screeching Mrs Pratchett, and learn to fear loud, huge-bosomed Matrons in 'Boy'. In 'Going Solo', his account of the garden boy's encounter with the Black Mamba holds children rigid with suspense. These are stories which make teaching English really enjoyable. Also, these are among the most borrowed books in our library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rivveting Tale of A Fabulous Authour, 10 out of 10, 24 May 1999
By A Customer
BOY & GOING SOLO Boy and Going solo are combined in this excellent tale of courage bravery and contentment, Roald Dahl has always been a fabulous author, but the best thing is that this is all true, where as Matilda and The BFG are fiction, every last word of this is true!! Amazing! Leighotn J Atchison-Warne, May 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 April 2000
By A Customer
This book was very interesting, one of the best ones I have read. I read it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy and Going solo by Roald Dahl, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Boy and Going Solo (Paperback)
Reading this explains a lot about the author and how he can connect the children. I have enjoyed reading this book, I am reading it all over again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Boy and Going Solo
Boy and Going Solo by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 4 Sep 2008)
6.99