4.0 out of 5 stars A very compelling book
I read this book quite a while ago just in passing, but it immediately hit me. It explains how people got caught in up in the Hitler Youth for example. This book really brought home to me how dangerous mob rule and certain organisations can be, especially with the power aspect.
Published on 25 Mar. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating
Published on 19 Sept. 2008 by A. C. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 19 Sept. 2008
A. C. Green - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wave (Paperback)
The original experiment had fascinating results that said more about the mass psychology of fascism than William Reich ever did. This novelisation of the experiment (a first?) is a slight, easy to read work that is rather simplistic in its' characterisation and conclusions. If you are expecting great literature you will be disappointed. It is perhaps aimed primarily at the inteligent end of the teenage market. It is entertaining and thought provoking and well worth a quick read. I got through it in three hours straight and at the very least it whetted my appetite for the forthcoming German film of the same name and subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very compelling book, 25 Mar. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wave, 1 Jun. 2010
A. Addis - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wave (Paperback)
The Wave is about a real-life story of a Californian history teacher who embarked on a social experiment with his Senior High School Class to show them the true meaning of Nazism. But what started as an experiment soon becomes a terrifying reality, with students clamouring to join the Wave for its solidarity. It's not long before those who don't want to joing are being threatened and victimised, even assaulted...

This is a slight book, weighing in at only 140-odd pages. That felt about right, but what didn't feel right was the simplistic level of writing. The author has written about a sophisticated and highly complex subject in a somewhat dumbed down manner. At times, I felt a little patronised; I'm sure teenagers (who I presume are the book's target demographic)would do as well. If not by the sentence structure than by the stereotypical characters.

Yet the story is compelling and made all the more frightening by the fact this really happened. It reminded me of The Demon Headmaster by Gillian Cross, to some extent - except when I reread that children's book recently, I didn't feel quite so talked down to.

Anthony Addis The Tale of the Birds

4.0 out of 5 stars Waving not drowning, 6 May 2009
This review is from: The Wave (Paperback)
Based on a real-life incident that ocurred in the USA in 1969, 'The Wave' recounts the story of an idealistic young history teacher who encourages his students to see how the herd mentality and brainwashing can lead to fear and oppression. Intriguing and powerful, if somewhat simplistic, this novel shows how what started out as a game swiftly became something far more sinister.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., 26 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
"The Wave" is a reality-based story from the end of the sixties, and it's actually quite well done for beeing written by someone who wasn't actually there. I don't even think I would have found the story believable if I hadn't known it was for real. The book is quite easily read but there's nothing spectacular about the author's writing style. The strength of this book lies in the fact that it's true. So many people, so very, very wrong. However, it's not anywhere NEAR flawless; the whole thing feels kind of adapted for English talking highschool kids. Fortunately, this can only cast a small shadow upon the important message; things happen, but only if you let it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 12 Jun. 2008
Library fossil (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wave (Paperback)
What an amazing story! The worst or best thing about it is that it is based on a true event. Proves how powerful 'suggestion' is and how careful we need to be when being a leader. But also, could we not harness this for good?

5.0 out of 5 stars a mendatory reading material for anyone who's alive today!, 14 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I am a 16 year old high school student. I first heard about "The Wave" when I saw it as a play 11 years ago. I later on did a good amount of research on the book and found it extremely capturing! I especially touched me since I encounter peer pressure almost everyday and because of my Jewish background I can fully relate to those characters who opposed the experiment. I believe everyone, young or old ought to read the book and be fully aware of what brainwashing and manipulating has and could turn into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, True, a must read for all high school students, 11 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This book touched me in a way that I could only explain as Inspiring. I am one who has never considered myself as a follower more a leader in my own state of mind, Yet others who consider themselves as diverse tend to search for ways to make it in their society, and while on this expedition loose faith in search of and answer and as a result loose their pride, dignity and independence as to appose to who they really are. I am a student who has been to a lot of schools and I see students "Placing their trust and faith in other students hands." This is a book with a meaning which could only be described as ambiguous. The meaning may be interpreted in different ways nevertheless this is one way it is interpreted and for that I think is the reason why so many teachers around the world choose this book as a study novel. It also explains the Nazi Movement in a less old School style and shows how easy it is for one to get caught up in themselves to feel superior to be living the worst sin in the world, vanity . This book is absolutely a gem and is recommended for the knowledge seeking reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book can teach many valuable lessons!, 17 April 1998
By A Customer
I first encountered "The Wave" in the form of an after-school special on television in the early '80's. It made a huge impression on me and I located the book, which is even more descriptive of the events that surrounded Ben Ross and his class in 1967. I just finished using the novel in a university level course on adolescent development. The students were asked to link the book to their knowledge of conformity and idealism in adolescence. Most of the students had very strong opinions of the book-some positive and some negative-but the important thing to me as an instructor was that it had an impact on them. I would recommend this book to any parent of teens or any teacher trying to get across to kids today the horrors and atrocities of the Holocaust and how such a tragedy occurred.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wave, 30 Sept. 2008
S. Ginty - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wave (Paperback)
I read this book initially when I was a pupil at school. I have recently read it again with a class that I am currently teaching. It has been interesting to consider the issues whilst also being able to look at film reviews for the adapted version 'Die Welle'.

Since reading it for the first time some years ago, it is interesting and very sad to consider the number of wars, dictatorships and heinous acts of genocide that have occurred around the world. I think that whilst the standard of writing in the book is not the best, it still raises some very valuable points. What happened in Germany under Nazi leadership was abhorrent, but we can never stop pointing that out and considering how and why such terrible things did happen.

The Wave
The Wave by Rhue Morton (Paperback - 21 Jun. 2007)