Format: Paperback|Change

After reading the average teenage fiction books, and getting extremely fed up with hearing about vampires and romance, I decided to try a few Classic stories. Heidi seems an excellent choice and I read the book within 2 days, after being engrossed into the easy-to-read story line! I also ordered A Little Princess and The Secret Garden, both by Frances Hodgson Burnett, but out of the three Classics, Heidi was clearly the best book and definitely the most interesting! It was far more understandable with less archaic language too!

Being at the grand old age of 13, I did consider whether Heidi was going to be a bit childish for me, but I was proved so very wrong! The tale starts of with 5 year old Heidi being brought to live with her ancient grandfather, who has little contact with people and spends most of his time either inside his hut or making goats milk cheeses. Heidi lives happily with him for a few years and his ways seem to change, but by the time she is 7 or 8 years old, her Aunt Detie collects her again and sends her to live with a family in Frankfurt. Although she is treated well, she longs to live back up on the mountains with her Grandfather. Will she find her way back to where she truly belongs?

Overall a fantastic book which really makes you sympathise for Heidi and feel glad for her luck. Recommend to anyone looking for something a little different. I hope you found this review helpful!
In the course of putting together a library for my grandchildren I resolved actually to read all of the books I had collected. While I looked forward to many of the books the orphan-girl-on-the-farm books didn't appear to hold a great deal of promise. Well, guess what? Many of these books are as entertaining, engaging and instructive as the day they were first published, and are lively options for today's modern youth reader.

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm is a willful, independent, shrewd, perceptive pistol, (do not read the edition "modernized" by the author's grandson to turn Rebecca into a simp), who any girl would do well to emulate. Anne of Green Gables is a no-nonsense can do free spirit. Pollyanna is one of the emotionally toughest orphan characters you are likely to meet.

Heidi belongs with this company. She is milder and more modest. She is more polite and well-behaved. She is the most "old-fashioned" of the young heroines. But she is still worth following, and like the others offers lessons about the search for lasting happiness. This is definitely a volume I would want to have available for a young reader.
on 30 October 2010
Absolutely love this book. Read it with my 9 year old daughter, who was rather daunted at the small type and the great no. of pages, but once we started, she was so enthralled that she's now described it as her favourite book. Highly recommended.
on 15 September 2013
I bought this for my grand daughter to introduce her to the timeless classis which they don't seem to have in schools and she loved it.
I will be on the look out for similar publications.
on 4 May 2010
An excellent edition, very good value, this will be a long treasured book. The quality is superb and will stand the test of time and look good on the bookcase.
on 27 December 2011
I first read this book at about nine or ten years old. I surprised myself, because I was afraid it would be corny and unrealistically saccharine-sweet.

Well, it was neither. Although I had never heard of the "show don't tell" technique of writing, I think that HEIDI was my first exposure to it. I actually felt like I was in the the cottage with Heidi and her grandfather. I almost physically felt the anguish when her opportunistic aunt took her away to Frankfort, and rejoiced right along with her when she was sent back to live with her grandfather again.

Everybody who met Heidi seemed to benefit, and Heidi did good almost without relizing she was doing it. There are also plot twists that make the story even more engaging.

My enjoyment of this book was re-kindled when I was in my early 30's and had to stay home because of a nasty case of the flu. I found the book and read it again, surprised at the many subtle things that as a child I didn't see, but it subconsciously made the book more believable even back then. Johana Spyri definitely understood human nature.

Give it to your children to read and read it as an adult! You won't be disappointed.
on 5 April 2009
I am 7.

The book is very detailed you can neveer get mixed up with what is happening.The book is stunning i really enjoyed it!I think the book is rated 6 and upwards.
on 3 January 2013
I love this book, i read it many times as a child. I thought my grandaughter would enjoy reading it as well.
In her phone call this morning said she read it every night when she went to bed and found it hard to put down.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves reading young or old.
on 23 November 2012
It one of those stories I loved listening to as a child, bringing back fond memories. so when a friend ask if I could recommend a good book for their child, I had no hesitation in giving them this book, and as it turns out it was also one of their favourites too.
on 5 April 2009