5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book you have to read
I asked my teacher if I could read Once.I'm only just 11.She said I could but it was quite sad and grownup.Its not rude but it could make people cry. I would say anyone over 8 years old could read it.The writing is farly big but dont be embarrassed to read it as I dont know ANYONE who does't like it. I think this is better than Michael Morpurgo's best books, better than...
Published on 14 Dec 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely moving!
This book is one of most emotionally moving books I have ever read. It's about a Jewish boy desperate to find his parents in the middle of World War 2 . I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone who enjoys this type of genre.
A very powerful book and a good read.
Published 16 months ago by whingecus

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
A book everyone should read, regardless of age, along with, "Then", "After" and "Now". My daughter asked for them for Christmas as she felt she wanted to re read Felix's story and keep them with her. Some books you get involved with and just have to own. I have re read them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars birthday gift for 13 year old, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
bought for my daughters 13th birthday, a great price, and she was delighted. I buy a lot of books from amazon that are difficult to find in the shops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
Great condition. Exactly what it says on the description. Starting reading it to my class already and they are asking where to get the book from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!!, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
Brilliant read, for all ages!! Would be fantastic to use alongside WW2 work in KS2 and KS3. Have since bought the rest of the series :)

Also speedy delivery from seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a great trilogy, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
Once, Then and Now make up a fantastic trilogy. I read the book as I teach 11 year olds and like to keep up with literature for that age group, but I think any adult could enjoy this book on its own merits. A sensitive rendering of a difficult topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dear Felix, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
Excellent! And very MOVING.
I've just finished reading this book and so pleased to have read such a fine story. What an amazing story narrated by Jewish boy Felix growing up in an orphanage. He is secretly hiding out since his parents left him there for safety. He believes his parents are still alive but as you read on you wonder the otherwise. His sidekick Zelda is lovely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
I liked this book even though it was along the lines of 'the book thief' by Markus Zusak. Well written and heart moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
This is a great book,I brought it for my 10 year old daughter and she loved it.In some of the parts it can be a little sad as I cried in it! I would recommend it for people aged 9 and over.
Overall this is a great book

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic, 24 Oct 2012
Book Worm (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
This is a really great read and would be perfect for young teenagers learning about the atrocities of WW2. The books are written through the eyes of a young boy so the language is really easy but the themes although of course true-life would be confronting for most younger (under 11) kids in our sheltered societies.

It's the innocent voice in which the book is written that is the secret to its success, the naivety with which the main character explains away the horrors unfolding around him is amusing and keeps the whole thing readable and also (as an adult reader) more poignant.

As well as the endearing main character, the story is a classic 'road trip' voyage of discovery and is a page-turner, I read the whole thing cover to cover without stopping.

I really loved this book and am looking forward to reading the other three in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting style, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Once (Once/Now/Then/After) (Paperback)
The first in 4 books about Felix, as it follows his journey from Nazi Poland to modern day. Felix Salinger is a Jew, and his parents have sent him away to a convent school for safety, but when he receives a carrot in his soup, and then sees Nazis burning books in the courtyard, he sees it as a sign his parents are coming for him and need his help, so escapes, only to discover some of the true horrors of Nazi Poland. It has the naive charm and style of "Boy with Striped pjamas" or "Book Thief", but didn't annoy me as much as either of those, probably because of it's style. Each chapter starts with "Once", hence not only the title of the book, but this is the vehicle for Felix telling his story, as he's a storyteller. I'm interested enough to want to read the others.

Once (Once/Now/Then/After)
Once (Once/Now/Then/After) by Morris Gleitzman (Paperback - 23 Feb 2006)