‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just magical..., 24 Mar 2001
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
You know...it's funny thing, but I'm writing this review at least twenty years after I read the book. Admittedly I'm about to order a copy, but I can still remember the first time I read this book. It had a massive effect. Our cat of the time suddenly took on a magical resonance after reading this book and the desire to be able to talk to cats has never really left me. HA! It sounds silly, but Barbara Sleigh's book has echoed through our my life and I look forward to passing it onto a child I know today... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars First read 30 years ago and never forgotten!, 13 Jan 2001
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
I read this book, along with The Kingdom of Carbonel and Carbonel and Calidor, at the age of 10 whilst in grade school in California. I remember that I checked these books out of the library again and again. I desparately wished that I could hear my own cat talk! About 2 years ago, I was thinking about the books, and started trying to find them. Unfortunately, they are out of print in the US. It took me a year to track down and purchase these three books from used booksellers England, Australia and America. It was absolutely worth the time and the money, because now I have a child to share them with, my 6-month-old son. When he's old enough, I hope he will also thrill to the stories of Carbonel and Rosemary and John, and look at our old black cat with new wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldy but goody!, 31 May 2004
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
After reading the other reviews for this book, I felt compelled to add my own heartfelt recommendations. It is now 20 years since I first checked the Carbonel series of books out of my local library, and now, with a child of my own, desperately wanted to track them down to share with her. From the first page I was captivated, transported into a magical world of witches and talking cats that would give Harry Potter a run for his money today. I recommend this book to young and old alike, and would urge any parent with an imaginative child to pick up a copy - I'm positive they'll thank you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birth Of Magic - Classics never die, 17 Feb 2005
Mr. J. Claridge "jimbobaggins" (Dagenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
I was eleven when i first read the orginal carbonel book, i remebered looking at the faded dust cover and thinking how boring the book must be. i am glad to say i was wrong! i loved the book so much i read it over and over and even took a trip down to the library to check out the sequals. when you are young the prospect of magic amazes you, a reality with new worlds and talking cats, and carbonel offers this and much more. harry potter has succeded in introducing children back to reading, carbonel succedes in keeping children reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Its so good I'm searching the globe for a copy, 17 Dec 2000
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
Written in 1955 and set in England -- long before anyone had ever imagined Harry Potter. It's the summer adventure for a girl and boy -- out smarting a natty frumpy witch to free an enslaved royal cat. The first and best of a triology of books involving Carbonel the King of Cats. Whimsical and clever; lots of action to keep even today's video game generation entertained and certain to finish the story.
It's my favorite book of all time and I hope to share with my 10 year old neice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh, 3 April 2007
K. Allford - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
Can't believe i have managed to find this book! It must have been about 15 years ago that i first read this and it has rated as one of my favourite books of all time! Long before Harry Potter mania gripped the nation this book was floating around, transporting the reader to a magical world! Can't recommend it enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 23 Oct 1999
By A Customer
Carbonel By Barbara Sleigh When Rosemary buys a broom and a cat at the market, she has no idea that she is buying a witchs' broom and that Carbonel, the cat, will take her on such an adventure! I couldn't put this book down! Carbonel is my new idol.

5.0 out of 5 stars a long lasting inspiration, 15 Sep 1999
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
I am the author Freya North and I read this book when I was a child. It had a huge impact on me - both in terms of the subject matter and the beautiful wordcraft. It is a magical tale about a young girl who is faced with a boring school holiday. She buys an old twig broom and suddenly realises how she can hear a black cat speak. The Cat is Carbonel - and he is a witch's cat. So begins a summer of fun and adventure. I have re-read it many times over the years and it never loses its magic. The characters - human and feline - are well rounded and very colourful. There was another Carbonel book - the Kingdom of Carbonel - I hope this is still in print. A must for all children who like spells, cats and a little bit of escapism. I used to hold our old twig broom very tightly - but my cat never spoke back!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books about cats that I've ever read., 14 Mar 2000
D. C. M. Stamp "Book addict" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
I have always loved this book. It is a timeless and magical story, which brings to life the mysterious side of cats. It has a special affinity for me, as the name 'Carbonel' comes from my family, and Barbara Sleigh married one of my relatives. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 20 Nov 2003
This review is from: Carbonel (Paperback)
This is one of the most enjoyable books i have ever read. I first read it when i was a child, and i think that along with some other special books, it started my love affair with cats and magic. It is beautifully written and I really reccomend it for children and adults alike - if you liked Harry Potter, The Worst Witch, The Hobbit, His Dark Materials, The Witches of Whitby, The Alchemists Cat and other fantasy childrens books, you'll love it. I also reccomend the other books in the series - there are two and i remember one of them is called Carbonel and Calidor.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Carbonel
Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh (Paperback - 25 Aug 2005)
5.24