5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island Book
I read this as a child, many many times, and recently rediscovered it with my 7 year old boy. It's a beautiful story, beautifully written. It's about life, death, growing up, the passing of seasons, but mostly about friendship. The end is quite sad, but still hopeful--so do not avoid for fear of tears. Compulsory bedtime reading for all parents with children between 6-10...
Published on 22 Jun 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not just for children
I just recently read this book, at 21 as it came highly recommended by friends as a 'must read classic.' I thought it was a fantastic tale of friendship and didn't have a predictable everyone lives happily ever after ending.

I have heard more positive things about this story from adults than children, and think it is a story truly to be passed through the ages...
Published on 11 Jun 2007 by njk_85

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlottes Web, 27 Aug 2002
mrs a r mann (DUNSTABLE, BEDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
I remember reading Charlottes Web as a young child and it was a favorite book of mine I recently re-read it and it still bought a lumpto my throat. It is a wonderful tale of friendship and the inevitable ending of life. I highly recommend this as a childrens book or just for adults like myself who read it as a child and would like to remornise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 6 Dec 2002
This review is from: Charlottes Web (Paperback)
Well what more can i say but this book is fantastic, when i was a little girl this was a book i used to read over and over again. I lost the book and to my delight found it on amazon. Amazon delivered within a few days (fantastic). The book is delightful and is about a pig called wilbur and he has a friend called charlotte and it is their story of epic survival. I Can not go into much detail about the book, as it would spoil it for any one wanting to purchase it, but what i can say is be warned that it could make you cry. The author is a very well known writer and has done some classic stories. This book is one i would recommend anyone buying especially for the children. This book is a pleasure to read time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHARLOTTE'S WEB BOOK, 17 Oct 2011
E. D. Golding - See all my reviews
The book is a Classic and great for Adults to read to or with their children. I am using it in conjunction with a Read To Achieve Programme for schools and libraries.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, 8 Dec 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
Having a dual form of dyslexia I did not learn to read until later in life. Thus I never read children's books while a child. Maybe that is why I read so many still today. I read this as part of a children's literature course in university.

It is an interesting book, about friendship, commitment, compassion, change and death. As such it deals with a lot of the big questions of life in ways a child can grasp.

For me the most moving part was when Wilber confessed to Charlotte that he did not like the thought of her as a blood sucker, towards the end of her life. Only true friends can be that open and honest.

The book is a powerful tale of true friendship and how our close friends can transform not only us but those around us.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, Brill, Brill Book - one of my favs, 3 Mar 2008
EB White is the famous author of two very well known children's' classics - Stuart Little, (also reviewed by me so look out for it), and Charlotte's Web. Also he wrote The Trumpet of the Swan which I hadn't actually heard of before (until I looked up EB White)!
Back to our actual subject (Charlotte's Web) which has been made into a great movie which was worth watching and was a big hit after its release (December 2006) and was awarded 3 and stars/ 4 stars. I would give the book 9 and stars/ 10 stars because it is very moving. There were tears of laughter and of sadness in my eyes whilst reading this book but also tears of sleepiness once. I would recommend this book to children and adults alike. It received THE LAURA INGALLS WILDER AWARD, in the year 1970, along side his first book, Stuart Little. Charlotte's Web has been translated into 23 different languages and has sold over 45 million copies.
My favourite part of the book is the ending paragraph especially the last line:
Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It isn't often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer Charlotte was both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic story - a must read for kids!, 12 April 2007
twinmummy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
Read this book as a child, and have recently bought it for my 8 year old daughter. She loved it as much as I did. Its a lovely story, and a real classic. It doesnt have the usual "and everyone lived happily ever after" ending either, I think thats good as kids do need to see that that doesnt always happen.

I will certainly be keeping hold of this book in the hope that my 2 sons will read it too, when they're old enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 11 Aug 2004
Amy Gardiner (Ashby de la Zouch, Leics United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlottes Web (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book even although it was a fantasy story.The reason for my opinion is,becase it's about a girl named Fern,a spider and a pig that would never usally get on but they become friends and help each other through their problems.This is a great book about friendship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful storytelling for thoughtful children, 20 Sep 2009
D. M. Farmbrough "Dave Farmbrough" (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
I expect most people who read this will know what happens at the end of the book, but in case you don't, I shall keep quiet. This last section marks the book out as a bit more mature than many children's books, dealing with concepts that some children can't handle until they get older. That aside, this is a wonderfully written children's story, taking place primarily in a farm yard and barn, telling of the characters with whom Wilbur, a pig, shares his home. The animals are all written so well, they seem like real people, and coupled with Garth Williams's excellent illustrations make for an enjoyable read for the 8-15 age bracket.

This story was recently turned into a film, and the book isn't that different from the film, however it does give nuances that only the printed page can bring, so is well worth reading even if you already know the story.

The story is so well-written it has won awards, and this small sample of prose shows just how good E.B. White is: "The Autumn days will shorten and grow cold. The leaves will shake loose from the trees and fall. Christmas will come, then the snows of winter. You will live to enjoy the beauty of the frozen world". It's just a beautiful piece of writing, showing that you don't have to talk down to children for them to enjoy books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure, 12 Jun 2004
I'll always keep Charlotte's Web as a memory of my childhood because it is such an onnocent and yet heartbreaking story. This book showed me loyalty and the beauty of friendship. A much needed lesson in today's society.
Charlotte is a spider and is highly intelligent. Wilbur is a runt pig ready to be turned into Christmas dinner. Together they form an unlikely friendship and Charlotte ends up saving Wilbur's life.
A beautifully enchanting and sweet tale for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Y3 review, 26 Feb 2010
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
Charlotts Web is a brilliant book by E.B White.She has written 3 childrens books.Charlotts Web is very good,but some bits are sad.She is a lady so she must have brilliant idea's.This book is the childrens most loved story ever.

This book is about a little girl called Fern who is 8.Her Uncle owns a farm.Her dad was going to kill a little pig but Fern rescues it.One day he moves into Uncle Homers barn,Fern goes to visit every day because she loves him.Wilber makes a friend called Charlotte who puts alot of words in her web to save Wilbers life.Soon Uncle Homer takes him to a fair and he wins lots of prizes.Wilber faints and Lurvy gets some water.But when he came back Wilber was back on his feet and by mistake he thew it on Ferns brother Avery and Uncle Homer.

I liked the bit where Lurvy got some water because Wilber had fainted but when he came back Wilber was back on his feet and he accidentally threw it on Avery and Uncle Homer.I didn't like the bits that were sad because they were so sad ,I had to close the book.My favorite characters were Fern, Charlotte and Wilber

I would recommend this book for children in year 2-5 or people who like animals.I rate this book 10/10.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xab0bbb4c)

Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Paperback - 25 Sep 2003)
5.03