5.0 out of 5 stars Lion Boy - A Rollicking Adventure!
Published on 9 Nov 2003 by R. Horton

2.0 out of 5 stars Original idea and strong lead but otherwise unremarkable
There are a couple of things that Lionboy does very well. It possesses a very unique premise and contains a very strong male lead. However, beyond this it has a lot of problems.

Firstly, this novel is marketed as having appeal for children and young adults but personally I don't see it. It's a children's book, plain and simple. The language and plot structure...
Published 2 months ago by Kim Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Lion Boy - A Rollicking Adventure!, 9 Nov 2003
R. Horton "WW2-Private-Gamer" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionboy (Hardcover)
This book is imaginative and inspired, it has elements of reality and of a world we are in the process of creating. It plays on every child's fantasy of being able to communicate with animals - in this case, magnificent lions. Set in an inderminate future, Charlie the young hero finds resources of inner strength as he sets off across the ocean to find his parents who have been kidnapped. Charlie finds himself aboard a circus ship, filled with well-drawn characters and Corder writes evocative descriptions of the atmosphere. Less successfully drawn are the characters of the parents, I felt, but Charlie is an entirely believable and sympathetic character. Children will thrill to and share in his emotions during this adventure, and will enjoy the almost magic-realism of a world which is almost recognisable but altered slightly, as in Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I presume that this is also the first in a series, as the ending does not come to a conclusion - a good gimmick to get people to buy the next instalment, but well worth it to see if Zizou Corder can pull it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lion Boy, 3 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Lionboy (Paperback)
I liked this book because it was so exciting and unpredictable and it was scary at some points. I learned a lot from it and I could not put the book down and I stayed up past ten o'clock reading it ( I am 8). I can not wait to read the other ones. I would recommend this book for all children who like adventures.
Ruby G.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 9 yr old son could not put the book down, and neither could I, although, 26 Jun 2010
This review is from: Lionboy (Paperback)
My 9 year old son could not put the book down and niether could I, although he had trouble getting into the book at the beginning. So I read the first five chapters to him and by then we were both hooked, he read the rest of it by himself. He has asked to read the sequel, which we will both do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book - annoying ending!, 22 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Lionboy (Hardcover)
This book is brilliant - I couldn't put it down! Unfortunately it just cuts off at the end, leaving you feeling rather frustrated and desperate to get your hands on the next!
I'd recommend it to everyone - it's got mystery, adventure, excitment - everything a book needs, plus the addition of a little magic (coz what else would you call talking to cats?)

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare treat, 1 April 2008
Marcopuffin (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionboy (Paperback)
This book is very special. It's a fantastic story, chock-a-block with exciting elements and it is incredibly colourful. For the grown up there are also interesting throw-away references to our environmental future. Fascinating, inventive and utterly charming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: Lionboy (Paperback)
I highly recommended this book. I couldn't put it down and am looking forward to reading the other two books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adventure - a boy and CATS!, 20 Aug 2012
S. M. Couper "magpie reader" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionboy (Paperback)
This book is the first of a trilogy: the second book is "The Chase" and the third is "The Truth".
The books involve a boy who, as a baby, was scratched by a cheetah. Henceforth, he can speak not just English, but CAT - and cat from the last of the sabre tooth tigers to a primped and puffed up Parisian lady cat, and some rather fierce alley cats. The boy's parents are kidnapped, because of the work they are doing as scientists. The boy sets out to find them, and this is when he realises how useful it is is to be able to speak Cat. He spends some time on a crazy circus ship, from which he rescues six homesick lions.

I'll not say any more about these books except that they are a MUST to read (10 years +), and would make a fabulous film. (I have written to Sir Peter Jackson suggesting this as his next project, but apparently he has a new project in mind.) I only hope that Disney doesn't get hold of them and turn them into cartoons. With all of thetechnology availabale via Weta Workshop and others, there is no need for "proper" stories to be "dumbed down" into cartoon form.

4.0 out of 5 stars ROAR!!!!!!!!!, 8 Mar 2007
Molly (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lionboy (Paperback)
OMG! I'm not usually into this syle of book as I prefer girlier ones (see: Cathy Hopkins, Jacqueline Wilson, etc.) but this is AMAZING! I've now read all of the trilogy, and each and every one of them had me teetered on the edge of my seat! I really hope it comes out in the cinema, and will be one of the first ones in the queue for the cinema if it does!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lionboy book review by bladedge, 22 Jun 2006
This review is from: Lionboy (Paperback)
I would recommend lionboy to Children aged 10 to 14 because it is about a boy who can speak to cats, it tells of a wild adventure which the child Charlie Ashanti could die but he has the help of six majestic lions. Charlie goes on this adventure because Charlie's parents have been kidnapped. This book grabs your attention when you read the blurb on the back of the book and it says `But, with his enemies closing in, the hunters soon become the hunted and Charlie is plunged into a terrifying race for his life. Is time running out for Charlie and the lions?'

This book sometimes keeps me on the edge of my chair because Charlie keeps coming across lots of problems on his way to save his parents and hopefully staying alive in the process and this is why I would recommend this book to children aged 10 to 14.

5.0 out of 5 stars A SPELLBINDING READING, 25 Mar 2004
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lionboy (Audio Cassette)
Broadway and film veteran Simon Jones gives a zesty, fulsome reading of this unusual tale about a boy who speaks a strange language - Cat. Yes, Charlie Ashanti can speak the language of cats. Fortunately so as he needs all the feline help he can get in this first adventure in a planned trilogy.
Charlie came home from school one day and found his parents gone - kidnaped. What can Charlie do but go in search of them? His quest, first aided by stray city cats, proves fruitless. Undaunted the boy presses on by joining a floating circus en route to Paris. Once on board he enlists the help of the caged lions by offering them their freedom in return.
Of course, there are bad guys here - thugs who would do him harm and a none too happy lion tamer. The unique cast of characters almost equals the unheard of adventures encountered by Charlie.
We can only eagerly await the second installment from this spellbinding mother-daughter team. (Zizou Corder is Louisa Young, the author of several books, and Isabel Adomakoh Young who is a little young to have written very much yet.)

Lionboy
Lionboy by Zizou Corder (Paperback - 6 May 2004)
5.90