5.0 out of 5 stars Still a brilliant book!, 19 April 2011
This review is from: The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures (Puffin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I read The Family From One End Street when I was about nine years old. A marvellous book, and one which will never be forgotten. The Ruggles family is a down-to-earth family, they rise above poverty, the children have a marvellous time with no restrictions. Youngsters reading it today will be envious of the carefree life they led. I have read the book so many times, even as an adult that it is looking the worsee for wear. I bought a new one but the original is still with me. Eve Garnet's other two books, Further Adventures of the Family From One End Street and Holiday at The Dew Drop Inn, are also extremely readable. Buy them for your children, they will love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters still appeal to today's children, 14 Mar. 2011
Hil (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
I loved this book as a child, and recently bought it for a little girl of 8 who loves reading. Although she has no idea what pre-decimal money is and other little mysteries in the book, the characters are so real that she related easily to the beautifully drawn characters (Lily Rose and the disaster of the artificial silk petticoat!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real classic with universal appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ten stories shine like pearls on a strand., 2 Sept. 2007
The ten stories of "The Family from One End Street" (1937) shine like pearls on a strand. Each one, at its core, has the roughness of the simple life to which Eve Garnett adds layers of detail, humor, adventure and joy. Julia Eccleshare says in her introduction (Puffin Modern Classics, 2004) that the author "wanted to give ordinary children from the poorer areas of London some stories which reflected their own way of life." Perhaps, the children did see their own lives reflected in the luster of these lovingly crafted stories.

The Christenings - The family is introduced. Mrs. Rosie Ruggles is a Washerwoman who runs the "Ideal Laundry." Her husband is Mr. Josiah "Jo" Ruggles, a Dustman. Their children, by age, are Lily Rose, Kate, the twins James and John, Jo, Peg and William.

Lily Rose and the Green Silk Petticoat - Lily Rose's good deed is surprising her mother by ironing the customers' wash. But, alas, she presses a too-hot iron on an artificial dress silk and it becomes a doll's petticoat. Will Mrs. Beaseley, customer, be very cross?

Kate is Eleven-Plus - and Minus! - Kate is the brain in the family and she wins a scholarship for Otwell Central School. She receives school clothes from an unexpected source, gets invited to a picnic at the beach and loses her school hat. Will she start the year with her looking very different from everyone at school?

The Gang of the Black Hand - James (Jim) longs to see the world and have adventures like his comic book heroes. His adventures begin in an old lime kiln towards the river, but where will it end?

The Adventure of the Parked Car - John looks for adventure at a parking lot and comes home in the evening with a box of eggs, some cakes and an amazing scout knife! Will this impress the Gang of the Black Hand?

The Baby Show - William, the Ruggles know, is the best baby in Otwell. But will the Judges at the Otwell Feat agree?

Adventure in a Cinema - Jo Jr. is a film buff, when it comes to Mickey Mouse. For the first time, the Majestic Cinema will be showing colored pictures but Jo doesn't have four pence for entrance. Will he have to wait another couple of weeks to earn money and see the next one?

What Mr. Ruggles Found - Mr. Ruggles, dustman, finds a huge sum of money in the garbage. It's more than enough for his family's long-dreamed-of trip to London for a holiday. Should he present it to the police and if he does, will he get a reward?

Cart Horse Parade - The Ruggles visit Mr. Ruggles brother and get a ride on the cart of his prize-winning horse. The children raise a ruckus at the park, ending with an upset boat and Peg being caught by a policeman.

The Perfect Day - The Ruggles family end the perfect day at a Posh Tea Shop for posh icecream sundaes and a live orchestra.

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful tale, with charming characters :-), 2 Sept. 2009
E. King - See all my reviews
I picked up this book a few days ago and was delighted to find that at the end of the first chapter there was a paragraph that I had seen quoted in another book years ago - so it was fascinating to finally read the book it had come from!
The Ruggles family are delightful companions as you follow them on their various adventures. I would recommend this for young children and anyone who loves reading children's books, as I do. As others here have already said, it's nice to find a book that focuses on a working-class family for a change, but without being dark, gritty and depressing. The story is full of laughter and sunshine - ideal if you want something to cheer you up! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 19 Jan. 2012
I read and re-read this many times as a child, and still have the sequal. Now I'm 41 and am enjoying sharing this with my almost 6 year old. It's really good to be able to fall back on lovely books like this, in the face of lots of books I don't really like. For example, lots of modern children's books seem to feature disrespect to adults, lack of real social awareness (ie. what is it really like to witness real poverty?) and lack of consequence for actions. I know this seems really heavy when we're talking about children's books, but what I see in many books, I just won't read aloud to my youngsters. Really glad this is still available and will treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 25 Aug. 2003
when my mother came back from a jumble sale she gave me this book i did not want to touch it for a few months as it was not new.
How i regret it.
it was amazing it told how families lived and all these different stories to enhance the minds of children now a teenager i still read it recalling all these different stories full of excitment and adventure. I like the story where rosie burns a skirt and feels like she will get into so much trouble this relates to children but everythong turns out ok i mean she does get her cake in the end.
i just wish i had picked up this book earlier

5.0 out of 5 stars A well remembered classic, 18 Sept. 2010
This book made a great impression on me when I first read it aged around 8 or 9 at primary school in the 1960's. As an only child I found the very concept of such a large family incredibly exciting and their adventures remain vivid in my mind. The book is out of stock at the moment but I will be checking to see when it becomes available again. The wonderful line about the pub they visit still makes me smile all these years down the line: ' The Dew Drop Inn-Do Drop In' Lovely-a story from a different more gentle age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 16 Feb. 2014
Sioux (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this as it was one of my favourite books when I was a Child.....
Did it live up to my memory? Oh yes!
Give it a go, bring all the feelings you had as a Child back,along with some great memories you thought you had forgotten!
Delivered quick and packed well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can anyone tell me ..., 11 Dec. 2013
... if this is the original book or second in the series as it says, "and some of their adventures"? I have the original book just called The Family from One End Street which I adored when I was young. My granddaughter loves it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 17 Aug. 2012
A. Simkins (Lancaster UK) - See all my reviews
I have just revisited this book after first reading, and never forgetting it, almost 50 years ago. I just loved it all over again! A must read for children today. Perfect. Now about to buy further adventures of family. What a treat.

Used & New from: £0.01