5.0 out of 5 stars Eggstremely good
Published on 8 Dec 2008 by Jon Mason

We have a great many Dick King Smith books in our school library, but up to now I had never read one. I was not interested in animal stories as a child and avoided the genre like the plague. Dick King Smith is probably the master of the anthropomorphic animal story so it is understandable that I would never have chosen to read him back in the day.

Although we...
Published 8 months ago by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

5.0 out of 5 stars Eggstremely good, 8 Dec 2008
Jon Mason (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fox Busters (Young Puffins Story Books) (Paperback)
I have 3 kids, and I read a lot of children's books. But I have never before seen fit to review one of them on Amazon...until now. This is the story of a flock of terrified fowl that rise up to beat their arch enemy - the foxes. I always think the sign of a great fantasy book is that it envelopes you in such a way that even ludicrous occurrences seem entirely possible. The final battle scene had me frantically turning the pages to see what would happen next - brilliant. Dick King-Smith writes with elegance I've rarely come across in a children's author before, perhaps even beating the great CS Lewis. As a result of his long, flowing sentences, my 6-year old found this book tough going though, even to listen to. Probably better read to a 8-9 year old, or perhaps for a 11-12 year old to tackle alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a FOUL book., 6 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Fox Busters (Paperback)
This is an absolutley FANTASTIC book, you may superficially think it is all about chickens and foxes, but look again...
The three sisters, Ransom, Simms and Jeffries are "THE FOX-BUSTERS" and they will rid the farm of the long noses that have been the bane of their lives for so many years. An enjoyable book for all agegroups from 6year olds to parents reading it without their children, Smiths tale is full of all the best qualities, adventure daring and the obvious - good fighting evil. What more can you need from a book?
I personaly love the small extra facts that Smith uses such as "foul language" and "flock law" whic just make a whole experience worth more!
You'll find yourself reading it again and again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Fox Busters (Young Puffins Story Books) (Paperback)
DKS is great and my kids love them all.

2.0 out of 5 stars A children's book that I think adults will enjoy way more than the children it is being read to, 2 Feb 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Fox Busters (Young Puffins Story Books) (Paperback)

Although we have a lot of his books in the library, they do not get taken out very often, despite being very short, which the children like (as a rule), unless they are trying to impress their peers with the heaviest tome they can find. There are also a lot of children in our school who love animal stories. I wondered why Dick King Smith was not more popular, so I got The Fox Busters out and took it home to read this weekend.

I confess to not having enjoyed it much myself. I think the story isn't particularly well developed, and certainly towards the end it is incredibly rushed, as if the writer is in a hurry to finish. The last few chapters, which deal with the big battle between the chickens and the foxes were hugely disappointing to my mind.

The language of the books is very old fashioned. The story is witty, in its way, and there are some wonderful jokes, particularly with regard to the chickens' names, but these would appeal way more to an adult reader than a child reader. I wonder how many of the children in our school would find these things funny, or even realise they were jokes at all.

With this book in particular, I kept thinking about it in relation to Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl, which is similar in terms of basic plot although it pits the foxes against the farmers rather than the foxes against the chickens. Fantastic Mr. Fox is a book which is well known by most of the children in the school and a huge percentage of them will have read it either in school or at home, unlike Fox Busters. I think the difference is the liveliness of the language and the fact that Dahl wrote for children whereas it seems to me that King Smith wrote for grown ups to read to children, which is a very different thing altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Fox Busters (Young Puffins Story Books) (Paperback)
My absolute favourite, perfect for 7-10 year olds, particularly those with a farming background or interest. Bought as a present, very well received.

4.0 out of 5 stars The fox Busters, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Fox Busters (Young Puffins Story Books) (Paperback)
This book was for my 8 year old son who had read the book at school and really enjoyed it. Although he's a very capable reader, he doesn't really read for pleasure so it came as a bit of a shock when he was keen to have a copy of this book for himself to read again at home.

The Fox Busters (Young Puffins Story Books)
The Fox Busters (Young Puffins Story Books) by Dick King-Smith (Paperback - 29 Jan 2004)