5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island Book
Published on 22 Jun. 2003

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story
Having a dual form of dyslexia I did not learn to read until later in life. Thus I never read children's books while a child. Maybe that is why I read so many still today. I read this as part of a children's literature course in university.

Published on 8 Dec. 2008 by Steven R. McEvoy

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island Book, 22 Jun. 2003
By A Customer
I read this as a child, many many times, and recently rediscovered it with my 7 year old boy. It's a beautiful story, beautifully written. It's about life, death, growing up, the passing of seasons, but mostly about friendship. The end is quite sad, but still hopeful--so do not avoid for fear of tears. Compulsory bedtime reading for all parents with children between 6-10 yrs.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring story, 26 Jan. 2003
Sarah Allaway (Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is probably the best book I ever read as a child. A truly heart-warming story about a pig with a confidence problem!
I truly adored Wilbur's relationship with Charlotte and still adore reading this book today.
The story will bring you tears, happiness and sheer joy!
The book is based on Wilbur the pig who has been brought up by Fern, a very loving child who spoils him rotten! As Wilbur grows, he realises that he is being bred to be eaten! With Charlotte and the rest of the farm animals, the race is on for Wilbur to save his bacon!!
I hope you enjoy this wonderful story as mucha s I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic with good reason, 10 Feb. 2007
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
This is a beautifully-written story of a little girl, a pig and a spider who become loyal friends and how Charlotte, the intelligent spider, weaves her web to turn fate and rescue the pig from the dinner table. The vocabulary is great, fulsome and stretching for children used to Rainbow Fairies and Horrid Henry, and there's an underlying current of the passing of time, seasons, life and death. Written in the 1950s in America the book reflects an era perhaps gone-by where the world moves at a slower pace and yet the harsh realities of farm life and natural history are less hidden from children. If you are planning on reading Charlotte's Web to a child just moving on from the absolute innocence of early childhood, do be prepared for a couple of upsets: my daughter (6) was horrified at the thought that Wilbur, the runt of the litter and so hand reared for the first month, would be fattened up for the dinner table, and heartbroken when the heroine of the piece, the spider Charlotte, came to the end of her natural life, despite her having admirably achieved what she had set out to do. That said, we both thoroughly enjoyed this wholesome and memorable read and I thoroughly recommend it for 6+.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlotte's Web, 27 Feb. 2006
Jacqui Binnie (Inverurie, Aberdeenshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
A wonderful story of a pig & a spider. It's all about friendship and the harsh realities of life. Poignant ending. I loved it as a child and my 9 and 5 year-old children loved it today!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 17 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
As a child I loved this book, the characters are wonderful especially Charlotte, for a childrens book it is full of depth but in easy to understand language, it is sad but it just makes the book more poignant and i love the way it does not shy away from reality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, 8 Dec. 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

It is an interesting book, about friendship, commitment, compassion, change and death. As such it deals with a lot of the big questions of life in ways a child can grasp.

For me the most moving part was when Wilber confessed to Charlotte that he did not like the thought of her as a blood sucker, towards the end of her life. Only true friends can be that open and honest.

The book is a powerful tale of true friendship and how our close friends can transform not only us but those around us.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate spiders, 16 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Charlottes Web (Paperback)
This has got to be the only book or situation where i have felt sympathy for a spider. I love this book, I remember reading this in middle school and instantly fell in love with the characters, since then i have been hooked and still have my original copy from all those years ago. Its a bit of a mess but still very readable. Now that i have my own children i will be reading this book to them and would recommend it to anyone as it teaches children about friendship, life and death. This is a fantastic book. Read it no matter what age you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Charlotte's Web book with beautiful coloured illustrations, 10 Mar. 2014
Catherine (Hardwicke, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Choose this book because I remember reading it as a child but couldn't remember the story. The book is of a large size paperback with quality pages and beautiful colour illustrations. This book is a timeless classic. x:O)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, Brill, Brill Book - one of my favs, 3 Mar. 2008
EB White is the famous author of two very well known children's' classics - Stuart Little, (also reviewed by me so look out for it), and Charlotte's Web. Also he wrote The Trumpet of the Swan which I hadn't actually heard of before (until I looked up EB White)!
Back to our actual subject (Charlotte's Web) which has been made into a great movie which was worth watching and was a big hit after its release (December 2006) and was awarded 3 and ½ stars/ 4 stars. I would give the book 9 and ½ stars/ 10 stars because it is very moving. There were tears of laughter and of sadness in my eyes whilst reading this book but also tears of sleepiness once. I would recommend this book to children and adults alike. It received THE LAURA INGALLS WILDER AWARD, in the year 1970, along side his first book, Stuart Little. Charlotte's Web has been translated into 23 different languages and has sold over 45 million copies.
My favourite part of the book is the ending paragraph especially the last line:
Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It isn't often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer Charlotte was both.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special story, 8 July 2014
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Charlotte's Web (Paperback)
Charlotte’s Web is SUCH a special book to me. Charlotte’s Web is a story that was very prominent in my childhood. I remember my dad reading it to me from an early age, and every time I was captivated and enthralled by this beautiful story. I own an old and well-loved copy that I would frequently pull off of the shelf to read and re-read all over again as I grew up. I think one of the things that is so special about Charlotte’s Web is that everyone can identify with and related to some of the aspects and themes in.

Charlotte’s Web is a truly enchanting story, one that pulls you in from the very beginning. Every time I read it I am absolutely captivated by Fern’s spirit, personality and her kindness towards Wilbur, Charlotte and everyone she meets. The characters are truly unforgettable – especially Fern, Wilbur and of course Charlotte, and I feel that I have learned SO MUCH from them. This is a story of life, and everything that comes with it, but most importantly it is about friendship. Heart warming and heartbreaking too, this is a story that should be loved and cherished no matter what age you are.

Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (Hardcover - 7 Nov. 2002)