Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 March 2003
The Twits is one of Roald Dahls shorter & less famous children's novels. The Twits are a repulsive elderly couple who do mean things to each other. Some of the details and ideas in this book are disgusting! I still remember the bit about the worms and the spaghetti fifteen years later. It's screamingly funny. But it's never too horrible to give children nightmares and there's always enough humour for children to love it.
Any child aged 6 to 9 will adore this book to bits. Most adults will wonder what the fuss is about. Therefore it's perfect younger childrens book. This was one of my favourites when I was a child and I used to take great delight in reading the nastiest bits out loud to my mother (who pretended to be shocked). The literary equivalent of a whoopie cushion.
on 25 June 2004
One of the very important things this book teaches you is that if you have ugly thoughts, it begins to show on your face. That explains why Mrs. Twit, who always carries a walking stick with which to beat people, is the ugliest woman you have ever seen. However, Mr. Twit, with his dirty beard encrusted with bits and pieces of every meal he had every eaten, is even worse. Fortunately, these two horrible people spend most of their time making each other miserable with twisted practical jokes involving things like a glass eye, a frog or a bunch of balloons, as you will discover when you read this book by Roald Dahl. But then we learn that Mr. Twit likes to catch birds for Wednesday's Bird Pie dinner and that his grand plan is to train four monkeys kept in a cage in the garden to become The Great Upside-Down Monkey Circus. This is not a good thing. Not at all. Fortunately, this particular family of monkeys, named the Muggle-Wumps, are aided by the Roly-Poly Bird in turning the tables on the Twists. When I was reading "The Twists" as part of my most recent second-childhood, I thought this was a relatively minor Roald Dahl story, enhanced by Quetin Blake's zany illustrations. But when I found out the great plan of the father Muggle-Wump for the Twits and realized the Dreaded Shrinks were not simply a figment of Mr. Twit's imagination, I decided this was really just another one of his wonderful books and that I should have known better than to doubt him.
on 28 December 2009
Needed this book to teach my year 3 children about playscripts. The book arrived quickly and was in excellent conditions. Using The Twits story book and comparing it with the playscript enabled the children to see the differences between the two genres. Recommend for others needing to teach this topic in literacy whatever age.
on 29 September 2001
Mr and Mrs Twit are mean - in fact very mean - to each other; they play tricks on each other, which appeal to your sense of humour. They are cruel to birds - who hates birds? They're also horrible to Muggle-Wumps, a friendly group of monkeys. However, when the Roly-Poly Bird arrives the birds and Muggle-Wumps manage to turn the tables on the Twits (quite literally).
Roald Dahl's story is clever and cleverly funny. I couldn't think of a child between six and nine not enjoying this - or any of his other 'classics', 'Fantastic Mr. Fox', 'The BFG', and 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' to name but a few. This is a very good child's book, written by the best children's author of all time - is there any better? - supported by superb illustrations by Quentin Blake, so you can really hate the Twits.
on 12 February 2008
Plot: Mr and Mrs Twit are always playing pranks on each other like Mr Twit put a frog under Mrs Twit's bed sheets so she put some worms in her husband's spaghetti and she covered it in tomato sauce, sprinkling cheese on top! The Twits are a pair of revolting people. They never wash, they hate children and they catch birds for yucky bird pie!

An author fact: Roald Dahl kept an old school exercise book for putting in his book ideas; for The Twits it simply said `do something against beards'!

Rating and recommendation: I would rate it 7/ 10; I would recommend it to all Roald Dahl fans.
on 10 March 2013
We were writing playscripts in my year 3 class and this book really brought the process to life for my children. This particularly engaged the boys in the class who thought the story line was brilliant. I would highly recommend this book.
on 9 September 2005
I am a humongous fan of Roald Dahl's classic tales, I've seen, read and got everything by him, when I read Roald Dahl's The Twits it spellbinded me! It is sinsiter, but very fast-paced and witty and very good chracters! I want to be a children's writer like Roald Dahl, my hero and I must say The Twits is my favroite Roald Dahl story, apart from Roald Dahl's James & The Giant peach! I love ya, Roald Dahl! I hope I'll be a world-famous short story writer for children like you! Bye!
on 11 May 2013
CHILD REVIEW -- Ollie:

'The Twits' is my favourite book because it tells you about the author, and the illustrator, at the back of the book and it's a brilliant book.
I don't like the pictures because they are in black and white. I don't like black and white because it was around in the olden days.
The characters are called Mr & Mrs Twit, the Roly-Poly Bird and the Muggle-Wump monkeys. The Twits have got excellent names because they are twits!

CHILD REVIEW -- Sam:

I like 'The Twits' because it is funny when the monkeys play a trick on the Twits.
The characters are called Mr Twit, Mrs Twit, the Roly-Poly Bird and the Muggle-Wump monkeys.
I like the pictures because they are black and white. The pictures are good because they tell the story.
I would rate this book four stars out of five.
on 3 November 2009
I bought this script to work with some of the children that I teach at a local primary school for their end of year school play, and it proved highly successful! At the start of my employment, they were hard to handle and keep please, but then I looked into Roald Dahl and they simply loved his work! So I gave this script a go! It resembles the original story phenominally! And it is a really pleasure to produce! I would recommend it to any thesbian!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 February 2015
Read this to my 6 yr old grandson yesterday. He has extremely short attention span, but excitedly sat through this, laughing out loud at the awful antics of the Twits. From the early chapters of hilarious (to a child) nasty tricks: eyeballs in the beer, frogs in bed...and guess what's going to happen to those worms when nasty Mrs Twit cooks her husband's spaghetti....
...to the latter chapters where the Twits' unspeakable cruelty to animals is portrayed. Grandson was quite saddened by the pictures of bird pie and the thought of the monkeys' unhappy lives.
But as in all good children's stories, there's a very successful (and ingenious) ending...
I think any young child would love this.