Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 November 2007
Before Artemis Fowl Colfer wrote a few books. This is one of them. It has a very Irish Christian view of the afterlife, the one handed down over the generations and seen on some films and tv shows. In the grand tradition of many of these it has the agents of the Devil and the agents of God fighting over a soul.

At first glance you have to wonder why it is that Meg Finn wouldn't go to hell, after all she died in an explosion while her partner-in-crime, Belch Brenann and his pit bull Raptor, tried to threaten her, after breaking into an old guys house. As the story unfolds you discover that in fact this was her first venture into crime and she had been treated badly by her step-father, leading her down the path towards uncaring and crime.

She has a chance to redeem herself, to bring her soul from balance between good and evil and commit to good. Help Lowrie McCall, the man they were trying to rob, fulfill his dreams. Lowrie and Meg go around Ireland to do this and find themselves learning more about themselves and about their lives that possibly they thought they would.

It's not heavy, it is cliched, but I enjoyed it as a fantasy story.
on 16 July 2008
I love this book. I've read all the Artemis Fowl books, and I like them too, but The Wish List has to be my favourite Eoin Colfer, and one of my favourite books ever. I always recommend it when I do school visits to talk about my own books, and I'm amazed that more people haven't heard of it. It's funny and moving and clever - I wish I'd written it!
Teenage criminals Meg Finn and Belch Brennan are both killed in a gas explosion. Belch and his dog go straight to Hell, of course. But with Meg, St Peter isn't so sure.
So he makes a deal with Beelzebub, servant of the Devil.
Meg Finn is given the task of going back to Earth and completing the wish list of Lowrie McCall - an old man whom Belch's dog attacked. And if she gets even one thing wrong, it's off to Hell for her.
on 11 June 2003
Funny, sad, moving, exciting page turner. As an adult I enjoyed this book far more than any adult fiction I have read for a long time. It is brilliant on CD, read excellently by James Wilby who brings it to life completely. It amused the whole family on a couple of long car journeys and will be re-run at the first opportunity.
on 18 November 2010
I bought this to use in class as I love the book so much. I'm disappointed that the actress reads the (abridged) text with an English accent, especially as the text clearly features the Irish accent and dialect. The abridged version also skips/ misses out crucial subtle humour. The book is fantastic; the audio-cd and disappointment. Don't waste your money.
on 5 March 2004
Overall I enjoyed this book and thought it was a good read. The characters are interesting and the concept is humorous.
However, to a certain extent, Meg's character is too nice for me to believe that everything hangs in the balance. She isn't perfect, but she's human, and not so bad that you can believe she could go to hell. Even when you hear about some of the things she's got up to, it doesn't change the fact that she's basically nice.
I read the Artemis Fowl series first and have noticed distinct similarities between certain characters, though this isn't a completely bad thing.
I would recommend this book, but I wouldn't say it was to die for.
on 9 December 2012
This is one of my favourite reads; especially at this time of year. Hilariously funny and touching at the same time. A perfect read for young teens, but a must for adults too.
Eoin Colfer is a master of characterisation and witty dialogue. The pace of this original story line keeps you hooked from the first page to the last. If you haven't read it, you're missing out! A classic and a must read for the festive season.
on 5 November 2003
When I first picked up this book, i thought to myself "No book could ever live up to Artemis Fowl!" But I was wrong. I loved this book. I hardly ever put it down! The characters in this book are extremely funny, and I think that Eoin Colfer has really done it this time. This book is awesome for everyone!
on 24 November 2010
am a big fan of artemis fowl so selected this book for my first book club choice; bit disapointed to be honest and overall the book received a big thumbs down from everyone, though I am a grown-up so am not the target audience.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2013
I loved this book. I bought it as a present for a twelve year old and read it before parting with it. Eoin Colfer is a very impressive children''s author. Must buy it again when I see it.