5.0 out of 5 stars Another Story that hits the mark from Julia Donaldson
Published on 12 Aug. 2003 by K. A. Mosedale

2.0 out of 5 stars A dull read
Published on 19 Feb. 2013 by maesare

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Story that hits the mark from Julia Donaldson, 12 Aug. 2003
This review is from: The Dinosaur's Diary (Young Puffin Story Books) (Paperback)
The fact that this book was about a dinosaur caught my son's imagination. The fact that it was by Julia Donaldson caught mine and yet again she has written a book that will capture the imagination of children and lead to the book becoming very well thumbed. My son is 5.5 and is on his 3rd run through already. Like all good books it prompts lots of questions and offers plenty of opportunities for exploring the ideas introduced by the story. It is very different to the previous books by the same author for younger children (Gruffalo, Room on the Broom etc)and considerably longer (it takes us 3-4 nights to get through it with about 10 minutes reading per night!!)and I imagine it could be read to children up to 7 and by children of about the same age or a bit older. I have found it quite hard to get books that will capture the imagination of my son at his current age without them being either too old or too young and this is one of the first to successfully achieve it (and with a female heroine girls would also enjoy it as well). Thank you Julia and keep up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!, 12 Mar. 2008
I liked this book because it is very exciting like I said, and I thought that it was really funny when Hipsilophodon called the Tractor a Tractorsaurus! (Reviewed by leela aged 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great discovery, 17 Nov. 2009
I didn't know that Julia Donaldson wrote books for older children so was very pleased when I found this. My 2 sons love all her books for younger children, even now that they're getting a bit older at 4 and 6, and this new book was as much a hit with them. I can't recommend it enough

4.0 out of 5 stars This Dinosaur's Diary proves fun!, 11 Jun. 2010
I bought this for my 3 year old grandson who is an avid story-listener and it has proved a huge success. He particularly likes the Julia Donaldson stories, as do all my grandchildren, so I guessed this would be a good purchase for him. Initially, I was somewhat disappointed when it arrived as it wasn't like the usual Julia Donaldson books, softback with wonderful colourful illustrations and quite large for him to hold, but much more grown-up. This is a small paperback with black and white illustrations and looked to be for at least a 7 year old! Never judge a book by its cover!! It is a 'grown-up' book in that it consists of chapters, but he hears a chapter each night and cannot wait for the next evening's chapter to be read to him as he finds it a very exciting book. I don't know whether it would appeal to all children of his age, as chapters are often quite hard to retain, but it certainly suits him. In common with all his other Julia Donaldson books, it is a great read, full of adventure and highly entertaining!

2.0 out of 5 stars A dull read, 19 Feb. 2013
Brought this for my six year old who is a big fan of dinosaurs and has loved many of Julia Donaldsons other books so we thought we were on to a winner! this book lacked the sparkle and magic that her other books have, it was not pacey or stimulating to the imagination and was painfully boring to read as a bedtime story........did nearly put me to sleep though so I suppose thats a plus point.

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought it would be in colour!, 22 Mar. 2014
I was really disappointed to find that this was a paperback book printed without colour.
I t was a gift for a 9 year old which is fine, but I thought being a JD book it would be in colour.

I won't rush next time!

3.0 out of 5 stars very good story, 8 Aug. 2013
Love Julia's books but I was very disappointed as I assumed the book would be the same size as the gruffalo range of books so was surprised that it was small, which was not so easy to ready with my little girl

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it but its definately for kids who like to ..., 9 Nov. 2014
Its a pocket sized book. My son loved it but its definately for kids who like to read or listen to stories with good omaginations. Its not the usual Julia Donaldson book with big vibrant pitures.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow Donalason, 9 Feb. 2013
How can I explain? My daughter read this first in year 2 .Now she is 3 years older she has found it agsin . It's been ultimate joy for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, ideal for bed-time reading, 7 Feb. 2013
What a lovely story. Julia Donaldson does it again! Both my children (age 8 and 6) were enthralled by every word. Hi chin my recommended.

The Dinosaur's Diary (Young Puffin Story Books)
The Dinosaur's Diary (Young Puffin Story Books) by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 28 Mar. 2002)