5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Original
As a Harry Potter grown-up reader, I've grown used to criticism in the lines of the recent Byatt review. But I do think that there is a lot of comfort and interest in reading children's books in adulthood. It was lovely reading Artemis Fowl. The ingenuity of the literal and technological inventions of the writer was refreshing. The main characters enjoyable and...
Published on 12 Aug. 2003 by Adi Shtamberger

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather a two-dimensional world
I picked up this one in a charity shop because Eoin Colfer (who I had always thought was called Coifer) has been announced as authoring the new H2G2 novel, 'And Another Thing...', and I was interested to see what he was like.

Overall, Colfer's writing ability does show through, but this particular novel did little to excite me. Yes, it is aimed a childrens'...
Published on 18 Jun. 2009 by Jim J-R

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 30 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, I'm afraid ! Don't believe the hype..., 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
With all the good reviews & my 10 year old daughter's friends enjoying the Artemis Fowl series, I bought her the first two. I read the first in the series and found it to be incredibly dull. The technological language tries to cover up the fact that the plot isn't great, and I'm sorry, but the writing style is very poor. Too much conversation, and not enough description. When you compare it to books like 'Holes' or 'Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime', it's not even close. I wanted to give up and was determined to finish it, but actually, it wasn't worth it ! My daughter wasn't impressed either. Needless to say, we won't be attempting the second in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant, but far from awful, 28 Feb. 2008
J_Pugh (S. Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
The first time I tried to read this book, I failed miserably. The characters beat me, the plot was a mystery in my mind and I just couldn't get going.

I tried again a few weeks ago, and this time i succeeded. The book was quite strange in a way really, and when the writer first took us to the elves world underground, I had to read his descriptions a few times before I actually realised where they lived. Once that was cleared up, I motored on well. The description and words the writer used I marvelled at, and the ending was clever too.

All in all, a book I would read again, but only if I had nothing else to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl is Foul, 16 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
I decided to give Artemis Fowl a try one night while i was babysitting. despite having heard that it was a HP wannabe, i thought it deserved a chance. boy, was i wrong! it isn't good enough to be called a HP ripoff. the story was so flat that i felt like i was reading an essay on toads, and by the time i was three-quarters of the way through, nothing had seemed to have happened. i've been reading about five books a week my entire life, and i rarely don't finish them, no matter how bad they are. i didn't finish this one. it was like watching paint dry. with most fantasy books, you can see everything happen in your head, but with this you can only see your own boredom floating through your head. and who can sympathize with a little brat who tortures innocent fairies and threatens people with death? what ever happened to characters you like, instead of characters who you want to slap?
so, to sum it up, the writing was dull, the characters were unbelievable and detestable and the story seemed as though it tried too hard to be original.
(...)

1.0 out of 5 stars Condescending drivel, 14 May 2001
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
This is one of the most boring and silly stories I have ever read. It is poorly written and the humour is strained and condescending. One star is too good for it. Please, no sequels.

1.0 out of 5 stars Compare this to Harry Potter??? - What a laugh!, 18 May 2001
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
I can simply not understand how anyone can compare this boring little story to the imaginative world of JK Rowling and Harry Potter!!! The storyline is quite poor, the characters have no depth at all, they seem cold and lifeless. What I found particularly disturbing was the author's attempt to implant modern day's high-tech language into the world of the fairies... surely they should posses other powers to get by human technology???
The advertisement read: Read this if you cannot wait for the next Harry Potter anymore! I can only advise: DO NOT!!! -- Instead read Harry Potter again.. and again .. and again

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 29 May 2001
By A Customer
I bought this before the reviews came out, stupidly believing the hype of it being the next Harry Potter. Was I wrong! This is one of the most unimaginative, aggressive, unsubtle children's books I have read for a long time. The characters are unsympathetic, the fairy underworld is a joke - instead of contributing to the enigmatic, mysterious culture which feeds children's imaginations, it basically recreates an NYPD/FBI type atmosphere. You may as well be reading the screenplay to a cross between Silence of the Lambs and Lethal Weapon. It is also pointlessly violent. This book isn't a novel, it's a screenplay in disguise - and I for one will not want to see the movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok !!! ....but not the best!!!, 7 July 2005
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
i feel that Artimis Fowl is one i wont read again. However it was rather intriguing for others. Eoin Colfer has created very bold characters but then left them in a black hole as he didnt give the scenes the cutting edge. it is a simple story made in to complex one which is very confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of my best reads ever, 27 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
this book was a great read my fav part was when fowl gave the butlers sleeping pills in drinks i would just like to say read it or else *****

2.0 out of 5 stars Hotter than Potter? I think not., 16 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
I have to firstly admit that the reason I actually read this book at all was because I heard it was a Harry Potter ripoff. This is not true. If you are an eight year old male child, you will probably like Artemis Fowl. I, however, will stick to Harry Potter. The characters in Artemis Fowl are extremely static and predictable, and the plot is all over the place. I practically had to force my way through this one, and didn't even bother buying the sequel. Harry Potter is much more well written and an altogether better read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis RULES, 25 Mar. 2003
Plot
Artemis Fowl is a crimanal mastermind who captures Holly Short a LEPricon oficer but then they get nasty.
This is a brilliant book with funny jokes and mysterios caractors. Its a fantastic book and I whold recomend it to anyone who likes harry potter.

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 30 | Next ›

Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (Paperback - 6 April 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01