4.0 out of 5 stars Krindle Krax me up.
This book is amazing, it is about how a little boy can change other people's attitude and save his street.
My favourite character is Ruskin because although he was scared he knew it was up to him to save his street.
Published on 18 Dec 2010 by Nubia

3.0 out of 5 stars not usual standard
Philip Ridleys scribble boy is a great book, this not so much. Its not great literacy and the character descriptions and exploits seem to drag & repeat for for the entire book, the story doesn't really kick in until the end and my boy had trouble finishing it.
Published 7 months ago by simon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Krindle Krax me up., 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
I don't like Elvis, he is really big with a voice like thunder and is covered in muscles, another reason I dislike Elvis is because he always wants things his way.

I liked Krindle Krax at the end, he is one of my best characters too because he listened to the rules.
Wendy is my next best person because she has a funny phrase, which you can find out in the book.
I think this book will be enjoyed by many.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent, fantastic book., 4 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Krindlekrax, is a brilliant book, to read. I think that Philip Ridely puts a lot of imagination into his story that he wrote. Ruskin Splinter is a very good name, and very well made up, and Elvis Cave, and all the other names that he made up.The first time I heard Krindlekrax was when my teacher read it to the whole class,and nobody disliked it.I think that the author that wrote this book has a lot of imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Krindlekrax -a fantastic book!, 1 Mar 2010
Krindlekrax is a fantasy book that is filled with adventure and humour. However, it also includes real life situations, for example: bullying, emotions and friendships.

The story is set in the curious Lizard street -with its broken windows, cracked pavements, and scorched brickwork. Ruskin Splinter (the main character) with his red, frizzy hair and other distinctive features is a little boy with a goal to be a hero.

There are lots of other interesting and vivid characters, including Elvis Cave, Sparkey Walnut and Corky Pigeon. We feel inspired by the author's description of all the characters, because they are all unique and individual. After reading this book, we want to give characters in our own stories recognisable traits using lots of imagination.

Ruskin, Elvis and Sparkey were all best friends, until Elvis started to grow and became the school bully. Everyone is frightened of Elvis, even adults, because he breaks windows (sometimes in his sleep!). This is not Elvis's only annoying habit -you will have to read this fantastic book to find out the rest.

St. George's school is hosting a school play, but who will be the hero? More importantly, will Ruskin's dreams ever be fulfilled? Will Mr Lace, the class teacher, ever run out of pencils?

Despite being a very sad and emotional part of the story, we feel the author dealt with the death of one of the characters very sensitively.

Our favourite part was the build up, when we found out who would be the hero in the school play, in addition it is also revealed exactly what is lurking under Lizard street.

In our opinion, we recommend this book to everybody, because Philip Ridley's wonderful description allows the reader to feel the characters' range of emotions.

Sun Literacy group (Corbett Primary School).

4.0 out of 5 stars It is very witty, catchy, funny and extrodary., 30 May 2002
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
Kindlekrax is a crocodilewho lives in the sewers who is always eating beans on toast, and Elvis the big bully teases Ruskin at school.
Ruskin Splinter,Elvis Cave,Dr Flowers,Wendy Splinter,Mr and Mrs Cave,Mr Lace,Corkey,Sparkey,Mr Flick,Krindlekrax,Winston Splinter,Mrs Walnut.Ruskin-he has fuzzy red hair,very small,and glasses like saucers.He wore black shorts which showes off his nobberly knees, he wore black boots and his arms looked like twigs.Elvis-he is very fat and looks like an American Footballer.He always is bouncing a ball and smashing all the windows in Lizard Street.Krindlekrax- he looks like a crocodile with scaley skin and his breath smells of gooey stuff for he lives in the sewers.The setting was very realistic because of the way the author wrote it was fantastic.The best description I think in the sewers.The story line was very good and has a very good plot.The actual story line was extremely good because he used adjectives and made the story very exciting.He was very successful not any bad language and he is funny with his writing.He makes very good use of words.He makes you want to read on and on.His style was absolutely amazing.He used atalics in funny speech and he thought hard about it because he wrote it in great detail so I could read it very clearly.There was no bad lanuage or anything like that,so small children could read it.The descriptions of all the characters was amazing I could imagne all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Krindlekrax is great!, 3 Jan 2004
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
This is a superb book, and one that as a teacher, I will be reading with my Key Stage 2 class..... it deals with many issues including bullying, death and family relationships, but in a sensitive and matter-of-fact way. Ruskin is a perfect hero in the book as he is such an unlikely one. The author paints a picture of all the inhabitants of Lizard Street so vividly, that once you have started reading, you won't want to put the book down. Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read!, 27 Jun 2001
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
It's a really good book because it all changes round at the end. It sorts out problems such as bullying. It's an exciting story about a hero who saves Lizard Street from a terrifying monster. My favourite character is Corky, who tells you interesting stories from when he was a little boy. Philip Ridley uses phrases for each character, Wendy's is" Polly- wolly -doodle all the day," and Winston's is "It's not my fault."

4.0 out of 5 stars krindlekrax, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
Krindlekrax is about a boy called Ruskin Splinter who is bullied by a big boy called Elvis.
His best friend is Corky Pidgeon who is Ruskins schools caretaker.
I you are scared of the basilisk in Harry Potter 2 you will be scared of krindlekrax,I'm nine and I am scared of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A polly wolly doodle of a book!, 27 Jun 2001
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
Krindlekrax is a crocodile who lives in a sewer and not many people have a crocodile living in a drain next to them. In the story there's a boy called Ruskin and there's a play which Ruskin wants to be in but he can't because people describe him as having fizzy red hair, arms and legs the size of twigs and glasses the size of the bottom of a jam jar and a voice like a mouse. I like the story because it's good and exciting and has lots of suspense in it. In the book all the characters have their own catch phrase. For example Ruskin's mum says "polly wolly doodle all the day." I give Krindelkrax a good 10 out of 10.
This is a "polly wolly doodle all the day" book.
by Melba (Age ten)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent story for reading in school, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
I am currently reading Krindlekrax to my class of 7-9 year olds. Over recent years I have shared this book with four different classes and each time they are completely captivated by the characters, the descriptions and clever repetition used by Philip Ridley. It deals with issues such as bullying, fear, courage and bereavement in a sensitive but no nonsense way and the children really enjoy listening, especially when a few silly accents are thrown in. The only bit they don't like is when I say 'and... that's all for today!' It's well worth the read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite book in my class!, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Krindlekrax (Paperback)
I have read this book to my Year 2 class every year for must be 5 years now. They just love it! Children with an older brother or sister come to my class already having heard of Krindlekrax and expecting to hear it too! Brilliant!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Krindlekrax
Krindlekrax by Philip Ridley (Paperback - 30 Aug 2001)
4.79