5.0 out of 5 stars Tribes, 2 Nov. 2002
KS (Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tribes (Paperback)
I am a teacher and read this book to a class of 9 and 10 year old children, who on the whole have difficulty sitting still for any length of time. Tribes is a brilliantly written book with plenty of cliffhangers to keep children interested - and with a moral element too. A year later, some of them are still talking about the book - especially the boys who really identified with Kevin, the main character.

4.0 out of 5 stars one excellent book, 22 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Tribes (Paperback)
This is one of the best books i have read, i was reading this book to my son and i enjoyed it along with my son.
Kevin, the main character, thinks he will never join a gang until he saves a person in a gang and is caught up in this situation of being under a spell. This book is a very good read not only for kids but for adults aswell

4.0 out of 5 stars 8ZEN2 Whole Class Book Review, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Tribes (Paperback)
My class in year 8 have studied this book from January to February half term.

Here are a few things they had to say about it:

"It is good for this year group because we can relate to the elements within the book such as peer pressure."

"It is relevant to our reality."

" I love the way it hooks you to keep reading."

"The moral of the story is don't trust people you don't know."

"Tribes is an amazing book about a kid who gets caught up in gangs."

As you can see, the class really enjoyed studying the book and advise you to read it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Tribes (Paperback)
An enjoyable read, I love this author. As a librarian in a secondary school I find her books engage our pupils into reading as she writes about urban issues which I find our pupils can relate to. As her blog will tell you. (Catherine MacPhail has quickly established a reputation as a writer of gritty, urban stories that tackle emotional, contemporary issues but always work towards a positive solution and are usually realistic) I now have a waiting list for some of her titles. A positive sign of a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tribes (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book because it was really interesting and I really loved the storyline.
I'd recommend this book to all of my friends and my sister's.
Please, would you make another book like this, or even a part two of it? I'm just really interested in what happens with 'Glory and MacAfee' or if Salom and Kevin ever meet again, or even, what happens to Torry and Doc afterwards.
Overall, this book was Amazing and I hope to see a part 2 very soon :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Tribes - a brilliant book, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Tribes (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book for my children aged 10, and they loved it, it was a fantastic story and had them gripped from the first page to the last, they didn't want the story to end. Would definatly recomend this book to anyone with children aged 10+ or young adult. Love Cathy Macphail as an author and my kids have been on at me to order more of her books. Hope you enjoy this book as much as we did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, relevant, well written, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Tribes (Kindle Edition)
This is a great read for young teens or even 10 to 11 year olds. It is all about gangs, why people join, why people stay in them, seen through the eyes of a boy who decides to join a gang. Its incredibly exciting as well. Kevin is a good boy until he decides to join the gang. When his sister wants to join too though that becomes something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tribes, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Tribes (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. The writing, at times, punched its way through the pages. It had tremendous pace, and highlighted what it must be like for kids growing up today, especially on big estates where gangs lurk. I felt the lad's fear as well as his acute embarrassment. A good read.

P.A. Lewis-Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Tribes (Paperback)
This is a simple story which gets straight into the action. The main character has some difficult moral choices and I think that this book is perfect for the young teenager. I think it will particulary appeal to a male audience but I see no reason why girls won't enjoy it too. Plenty of tension as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book., 11 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Tribes (Paperback)
My son age 11 loved this book and says he couldn't recommend it enough. Tribes is about a child who joins a gang and it is about him discovering that the leader is evil; it is also about what happens when he tries to leave.
All her books have kept him quiet and absorbed for hours.

Tribes
Tribes by Catherine MacPhail (Paperback - 26 April 2001)