5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and compelling
This book is amazing. I started reading it thinking it was another tale about families at war, a bit like Romeo and Juliet. Then I got ten pages in and realised that Bloodtide was nothing like that at all and found it impossible to put down.
Published on 26 Sep 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Bold but flawed
I guess is only fair to begin by saying that I am not really the target audience for this book. It is apparently aimed at young adults and I certainly do not occupy that category. Having said that I do not really see what differentiates it from an `adult' book apart from the fact that the protagonists are in their teens. The themes; family, love, betrayal and revenge,...
Published on 23 Sep 2009 by Alexis Paladin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and compelling, 26 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
The story of the Volsons and Connors is an addictive one. When Val Volson agrees for his daughter, Signy to be the bride to Connor as part of a treaty. He believes his dreams are finally starting to happen. Signy is reluctant at first to do anything with Connor her natural enemy but as she spends more time with him she sees there is ,more to this man. Siggy- Signy's twim brother- though is still not convinced. He sees Connor as evil and heartless, certainly not someone you can trust.
Then on the Volsons first visit to Signy and her new husband Connor, things go terribly wrong and nothing is ever the same again for the Volsons.
This is a must read, from beggining to end you will not be able to put it down. I loved how Melvin Burgess made two twins who started off in almost an identical life grow up in two different ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and Impressive, 2 Dec 2005
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
I've not previously read Melvin Burgess - I don't really know why. I've certainly read a lot about him and admire a children's writer who puts so many difficult and gritty issues into the headlines. Perhaps I didn't read him before because I was worried that he would be too issue-driven. Any way, finally, I've read one of his titles....
Bloodtide is utterly terrifyingly addictively readable and not a little shocking. I take my hat off repeatedly but also am somewhat mazed by the idea that any writer (even one as unflinching as Burgess clearly is) should think of the bloody and despoiling Icelandic sagas and find in them the inspiration for a children's book. Well - Burgess did and more power to him - as it springboards him into the most breathtaking showpiece. Bloodtide pecks vulture-like at almost every element of human emotion and gnaws wolf-hound style at the moral dimensions thrown onto the book's exceptionally violent battle ground. As you'd expect of a post-apocalyptic saga blood lust, ambition, greed, lies lay much of humanity to waste. A certain frisson is added by a bit of matricide here, some incest there, cloning, genetic engineering, oh you name it - but also some ill-fated trust and love.
Burgess plays with his characters - some mutant by dint of scientific tinkering, others mutated by simple human inhumanity - in an appropriately god-like fashion. And he plays his readers expertly too.
In short: I was gripped, sickened and exhilerated by bloodtide and think Burgess to be one of the most impressive writers I've encountered this year. I am positively jealous of his skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING don't read this boof if easily shocked/fainthearted!, 19 Feb 2002
angharad_tretio@lycos.co.uk (the top of a rugged cliff over looking a stormy sea full of fit mermen and jellyfish) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
This book is stunning, a mixture of love and hate, beauty and disgust. Melvin Burgess is posibly THE most exciting author I have ever read anything by. I read this book on a barnicle encrusted rock on the beach in Pembrokeshire and I nearly read it as I was walking back over the cliffs to the car but my parents said it would be dangerous! I read alot and I have found that many books aimed at people of around 13-16 (my age) are boring and tend to be about boys and makeup and short skirts, but Bloodtide is amazing. It has an extreemly exciting storyline and the setting is very clever, only Melvin Burgess could think up London in the future as being like that! I musn't give too much of the story away but there is a very clever twist right at the end that no one could of guessed! I am a huge Slipknot, Korn fan ect. which just proves I like exciting things, things that go BANG! (If you see what I mean!)And this book does that, fulled to the brim of halfmen, human sacrifices, pagan gods, war and a hatefilled marriage along with a baby born with two twins as its mother and father! Perhaps I have already given too much away so very sorry if I have! This is definatly a book not for the faint hearted or the easily shocked! But anyone else I would definatly recomend it.
Oh yeah and does anyone know why there is only 4 toes on the foot on the front cover? I've been trying to figure it out for ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Experience, 3 Sep 2003
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
'Bloodtide' by Melvin Burgess is unlike any book I have ever read. Set in a ruined London, in the future, where love is non-existent and a gory battle rages on between two ganglords until the very last page. The powerful characters are pitiless, ruthless and will not spare anyone, not even their family. No man or beast can come between them and their ambitions. The extreme murder and massacre and the notorious man-made creatures called 'halfmen' are described in such an off-hand manner that they become entirely plausible. Most of the story is related from the point of view of the various individuals involved to give a fuller and more detailed picture of what is happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars A one line summary isn't enough!!, 17 Aug 2001
Andy Johannesen (andyj@chocaholic.co.uk) (up in the bleak north-west of England!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
Every teenager alive should read this book along with Junk and Lady. The 'Burgess trilogy'(as i like to call it) is amazing. Mr Melvin may have a very twisted view on life but the way he conveys drugs, violence and sex in these three books is amazingly convincing; but at the same time he carefully tackles the three issues which all teenagers are faced with but don't know how to react to. AND ITS WELL HUMORED!!WELL DONE. Im keeping my eyes open for Bloodtide II!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage classic, 22 Mar 2008
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was 12, a little younger than it recommended on the cover, but I always thought myself advanced for my age. That was 8 years ago, and still it's one of the rawest, shocking, scary and empassioned books I have ever read. While most of the books I read that long ago have since been forgotten and stashed away in the attic, this one still takes pride of place alongside Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials, two other epics that have stayed with me since that age.

Even now I'm 20, it's still a book I want to read again and again. The images that so inspired me when I was so young still stay with me: Odin upon the tank, the huge glass elevator shaft, the horrific final scene... This is a book for anyone, no matter what your age (though, in hindsight, probably over 12), who wants to be inspired into a new way of thinking about literature, or wants to indulge in a magnificent contemporary adaptation of one of the greatest epics of these last few thousand years. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever, 26 Aug 2004
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
Wow.Words can hardly describe this truely amazing book.Set in futuristic London,with crosses between fantasy and reality,this book is powerful and haunting and something you definately won't forget.Told slipping between third person and first person(which alternates between the characters)this is a ruthless story of love,lust,war,revenge and betrayal.Amazing central characters,fantastic writing and an unbelievably amazing plot,I think this book is one of the best of the century.I urge everyone to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally unexpected, 11 May 2007
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
I never write reviews, i usually dont know how to put into words how i feel about a book. this is the same case but i had to write one.

I found this book on a shelf in a hotel, decided to read it and have been completely blown away with it.i've never ever read a story like this...and i should say here its not just for teenagers...i'm 37.

its brutal, shocking and uplifting all at the same time. melvin has the most incredible imagination...i tried explaining to my wife what was going on...impossible...but its so readable...you become completely immersed in the world of the future...its the most surprising book i've ever read...i'm so pleased bloodsong is around to carry the story on. whatever you're age, if you've found this book and are considering it i urge you to read it.

6 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A total surprise, 15 July 2004
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
I skimmed the back of this book, and decided to get it, thinking it would be a nice bit of light summer reading...but after getting into the first couple of pages, I knew that this was not the Romeo and Juliet style tale that I had pinned it down as. The book is like nothing I have ever read. With halfmen, and ganglords, violence and suffering, the gods and their prophecys, it cannot be given a genre. I was shocked by the unexpected brutality and even insanity that lurks on its pages. Despite this rather horrifying description, I would recommend this book, although it might be better to wait until your mid teens before reading it, since it is slightly explicit. It will certainly be a surprising, and even shocking read...

4.0 out of 5 stars A disturbingly brilliant book, 16 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) (Paperback)
This book has haunted me since I finished reading it several weeks ago. The violence in a few places is so graphic that you hesitate to continue for fear how bad it may become. But what happens to the characters is even more appalling. It is MEANT to be - that is the point of the book - but I found myself, as I neared the end, losing all interest in what happened to the central characters because they were all or had become monsters without any redeeming qualities.
And yet, I was utterly absorbed. I hated reading it towards the end, but I kept picking it up again. I was appalled like the previous reviewer, but I could not disagreee more about the quality of the writing. There is an absolute brilliance and compulsiveness to the entire story. It is breathtakingly well-written and structured. The character of the pig-woman is quite simply one of the most amazing creations I have ever come across.
You may not wish you had started this book when you come to the end, but there is no doubt that you have experienced something extraordinarily powerful that both repels and attracts at the same time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books)
Bloodtide (Puffin Teenage Books) by Melvin Burgess (Paperback - 6 Feb 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01