5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and exciting read
Published on 14 Oct 2001 by Roseanne (roseannemg@aol.com)

3.0 out of 5 stars Youth Fiction
socially aware, young adult fiction . Didactic rather than entertaining. Not voluntarily read, rather, required by teachers as educationally valuable.
Published 20 months ago by T J MURRELL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and exciting read, 14 Oct 2001
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Paperback)
I really enjoyed The Other Side of Truth because it was a seat-gripping nail-biting story. It has a sad beginning but don't let it stop you reading the book. Two children called Sade and Femi have to leave Nigeria and come to London by themselves and they face many problems. I think this is a great book for anybody over the age of 9 years to read - my Mum really enjoyed it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 3 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Paperback)
A moving account of separation and political asylum told through the eyes of Sade and her brother Femi who as a result of their mother's untimely death must depart for London - alone. The text deals well with real issues (fear, loss, politcal trouble, asylum and racism) in a heart-warming and approachable manner. Naidoo traces the childrens journey in a well-documented fashion. Her novel speaks out on many levels, but above all she highlights the very notion that if "you keep quiet about the truth, injustice always wins". The novel becomes a clever blend of fact and fiction. I highly recommend this book to readers of all ages, since it is both fascinating, gripping and educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent story of a fight to tell the truth, 7 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book, and I would reccomend anyone to read it. It is a gripping story, about refugees, and the danger of walking the London streets at night. This book takes you through the guilt trip after stealing, the meaning of friendship and the price of telling the truth. A perfect example of showing how one lie can lead to another. This book is very well written and I anticipate her next book. Even if you prefer famous novels, I advise you to read about this, it will change your veiw on lying and make you thankful we live in a democracy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Youth Fiction, 2 April 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 30 Jan 2011
Allhug (Newcatle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Paperback)
This is the first Young Adult book I've read since being a child myself and I admit that I'd forgotten just how powerful those stories can be.

This was a very well written tale of oppression told from the point of view of a 12 year old girl. I found it to be an authentic voice and that, along with the engaging plot made this an easy read. The messages of tolerance were the most powerful images for me - it's good to step into someone else's shoes sometimes to get a broader view of the world and I can see that the target audience for this book will have their minds opened.

I would have liked to have known more about life in Nigeria, the daily rhythms as well as the political situation, but I liked how the author drew parallels between bullying in british schools and political repression in opressed countries. As our schools become more and more multi-cultural the younger generation is going to put us to shame in terms of their empathy and understanding of the wider world around us.

This was, for me, a very enjoyable book with a solid purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars truth, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Paperback)
every adult should read this and force it down their children's throats. The world would be a lot more peaceful and respectful.

5.0 out of 5 stars the other side of truth, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Other Side of Truth (Paperback)
I bought this book for a open university module it did the job was good value for money, next day delivery too. I would definitely recommend this listing

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed reading it, 9 Mar 2014
Hertsgirl (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This book tugged at my heart. It tells the story of immigration from a young refugees perspective, a good and accurate presentation .

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching book, 23 Feb 2014
Opens your eyes to things that are going on in the world that we don't hear about. Emotionally touching book but worth a read

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into plight of immigrants for adolescents, 18 Dec 2013
It is adolescent literature written for that age level and as such is very moving. It was chosen for a bookclub selection. The group had adolescent children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Other Side of Truth
The Other Side of Truth by Beverley Naidoo (Paperback - 27 April 2000)