5.0 out of 5 stars Share with your little ones and relive your own childhood

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Absorbing
Published 2 months ago by JAN HOLBEN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Share with your little ones and relive your own childhood, 13 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
I read this book for the first time when I was 7 years old and read it again and again until I lost it. Recently I remembered how much I loved it and bought it and once again I found myself totally lost in the magic of Roald Dahl and the escapism of the stories. In particular this book reminded me of my hope and innocent wonder I had and recaptured the excitement and anticipation of the next page I had never forgotton.
The story is truly unforgettable and a little piece of me still believes its all possible - a book that will restart your imagination and relive your memories. Although it is aimed at teenagers, I think its possible to read some of the stories to younger children and share the wonderful tale with them.
A Brilliant read that you will never tire of - in my view totally under rated and overlooked as one of Dahl's finest storys. Unmissable.

5.0 out of 5 stars read this no matter how old you are, 9 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
Some one recently asked me what my favourite book was, and although I couldn't name one favourite, it brought memories of this book flooding back, so i bought it again and was once again touched by it. Roald Dahl was always my childhood favourite but this book more than others stuck in my mind despite it being one of his lesser known ones.
It's a beautiful collection of short stories, but the story of Henry Sugar is the most poignant and memorable and one that still makes me smile. Having re-read it i have leant it to some of my friends and everyone, especially those with children have commented on it's magical and captivating story.
If you want to read a book about human kindness and triumph read this and it will stick with you forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten masterpiece., 25 Oct. 2004
This book was written by Dahl for both older children and adults. I remember first reading this book back in the seventies. The book manages to get into the adult libraries and children's libaries. Seven great, interesting, magical and informative stories including "the hitchiker" which made "tales of the unexpected". Even today, I still try to copy Henry Sugar with the candle and flame to see if I can acquire that wonderful gift of seeing without my eyes. I still believe it is true, so please don't spoil my dream! For me, this was always my favourite Dahl book; And yet so unsung!!!
Whenever I see collected box sets of Dahl, it is rarely included. But, please try this book for yourself, you won't be disapointed. And maybe....just maybe....you can learn Henry's trick! Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - helps children understand money isn't everything, 3 May 2005
Miss Preddy (Sundsvall, Sweden) - See all my reviews
I was read this book when I was about ten by my school teacher at the time. I am now a student working with young children and I fully recommend this book to all. Henry Sugar is a book about a gambler who learns a way to 'bend the game' to his advantage. It's a story of realisation, helping children understand that having money or material possessions isn't always that great and that there are downsides to all of it. It certainly had a big impact on me, and that was nine years ago! Roald Dahl is a genious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, it is excellent!, 30 Aug. 2010
This book is brilliant.

Readable for all ages.

The other reviews are accurate, go and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant storytelling, 23 Feb. 2011
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This short, unputdownable collection of stories by Roald Dahl is a masterclass in brief, compelling storytelling. Some of the stories work better than others, but all of them contain clean, simple storytelling that simply pulls you in and won't let you go. It's easy to see why this magic formula worked so well with children, and I love Dahl's work - whether it's aimed and children or adults.

Even the most unbelievable events seem plausible in Dahl's hands, and the sheer inventiveness of the stories and the pace with which they unfold and then conclude is simply superb. The book can be read in a couple of sittings - and the themes stick in the mind after you've finished, which is always the sign of a great read.

I often find it hard to concentrate when reading on the train, but with this collection of short stories I literally lost myself in them and forgot my surroundings completely. That's the power of great writing. Unmissable stuff from a master of the craft.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wonderful Story of Roald Dahl, 4 Jan. 2015
D. K. BROWN (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The title of this collection - and some of the reviews here - suggest that these are stories for children. I disagree - these are stories for adults, although not "adult stories" in the sense of Dahl's "Switch Bitch" and "My Uncle Oswald". The first four stories are, in my view, not as good as others by Dahl. However, the collection is wholly redeemed by "Lucky Break", a mini-autobiography covering Dahl's life from the age of 7 to 27 - and what a fantastic life it was! This is an utterly fascinating story. The collection is finished off with Dahl's very first short story, also autobiographical, "A Piece of Cake". In this, Dahl's style seems closer to Hemingway than to his own mature writing, but the story-telling is still masterful. Together, the last two stories give an insight into the making of a great writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our primary teacher read this to us in 'story time' ..., 15 Sept. 2014
Our primary teacher read this to us in 'story time' over a period of time. It left such an impression that over the years, I've looked out for a copy of the book. Found it on amazon kindle, and after reading it, it's still as fascinating as first time round. Definitely worth a read for any age over 10ish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good memories, 1 Nov. 2013
I yesterday found this book, in a wonderfully over-stuffed bookshop at Morecambe bay. I had it as a child, and have occasionally wondered what happened to it.
Glad to have it back because the stories are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memories, 11 Sept. 2013
I bought this for the Henry Sugar story to give to my Argentinian friend who's learning English. He's not quite at the level to read it yet but I re-read it online before I bought it and thought that this would be a lovely story for him to learn with. Plus it's not at all childish like other books for young adults and children. It's a really fascinating and uplifting story, now I can remember why I liked it so much when I was a child. I can't remember if I've read the other stories in the book but when he's finished with the book maybe I'll borrow it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, and Six More
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, and Six More by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 2 Dec. 1999)